The programme focuses primarily on tertiary education in shipping, business, management, and maritime science and technology, to build up the expertise of the local shipping industry as well as working towards establishing Singapore as a Centre of Excellence for shipping business, research and development.
The Committee on the Future Economy has recommended the introduction of new modalities of education and training at the Institutes of Higher Learning as there are tangible benefits for students to be exposed to on-the-job training (OJT). Work-Study Degree Programmes (WSDeg) are purposed to enhance students’ readiness for the workplace after graduation by integrating institution-based learning with structured OJT in partnership with employers. Students benefit from greater exposure to the professional work environment, allowing them to learn on the job, acquire and deepen jobskills, and cultivate an understanding of real-world practices through multiple internships, culminating in an industry-sponsored WSDeg Final Year Project (FYP).
- 4-years direct honours degree programme
- Only Maritime Business-Related degree programme in Singapore
- Students shall have opportunities to go on overseas exchange(s) to partner universities offering maritime courses.
- Students can opt to do Specialisation in International Trading
Singapore-Cambridge GCE 'A' Level
- Pass in H1 Level Mathematics/'O' level Additional Mathematics or equivalent, and
- Pass in H1 Level/'O' level Science subject
- A diploma from one of the local polytechnics,
- Relevant diplomas may be exempted from selected courses,
- For a list of acceptable local diplomas, please refer here.
International Baccalaureate Diploma
- Pass in Standard Level Mathematics, and
- Pass in Standard Level Biology/ Chemistry/ Physics
International & Other Qualifications
- Pass in Junior High School Level Additional Mathematics, and
- Pass in Junior High School Level Biology/ Chemistry/ Physics/ Science
NUS High School Diploma
- Major CAP of 2.0 in Mathematics, and
- Overall CAP of 2.0 in Biology/ Chemistry/ Physics
International students must have completed at least 12 years of general education, or will be taking Year 12 national examinations in the year of application in order to be considered for admission. In addition to fulfilling the minimum entry requirements, applicants must also satisfy the minimum subject requirements. For further details, please refer here.
INFORMATION & ENQUIRIES
Admission matters are handled by the Office of Admissions. For further information and enquiry, please contact the Office of Admissions.
Students with outstanding Singapore GCE ‘A’ Level, International Baccalaureate (IB) and NUS High School Diploma results may be eligible for exemptions from the first-year Math course.
Students with outstanding Poly Diploma results may be eligible for exemptions from some of the first &/or second year courses.
Course Exemption for Students Admitted in MS & MSB from AY 2021-22 and Thereafter
The WSDeg comprise approximately 54 weeks of OJT and industry-sponsored FYP integrated into the 4-year undergraduate curriculum. The OJT components include:
- Work Term 1: PA (10 weeks in Year 2 Special Semester from May to Jul; 5AU)
- Work Term 2: PI (20 weeks in Year 3, Semester 2 from Jan to May; 10AU)
- Work Term 3: PA (11 weeks in Year 3 Special Semester from May to Jul; 5AU)
- Work Term 4: PA Winter (5 weeks in Year 4 Winter from Dec to Jan; 3AU)
- WSDeg Final Year Project (FYP): (40 weeks in Year 4 Semester 1 & 2, minimum 8 hours/week; 8AU)
- Block 1 & 2: These Discovery/Exploratory blocks allow students to develop foundational skillsets and fundamental industry insights before commitment to a focused job role/function. Students may choose to stay with the same company for both Work Term 1 and 2, or select a different company for each Work Term.
- Block 3: Students are expected to commit to one of the companies they have engaged with in earlier work terms (either Work Term 1 and/or 2).
- The AU for the 3 PA in Work Term 1, 3 and 4 will be drawn from students' Broadening & Deepening Electives (BDE). Interested students should plan their studies accordingly to free up 13AU of BDE for the 3 PA.
The maritime industry is poised to grow steadily over the years. The maritime industry offers good career prospects with commensurate salaries, job stability and job flexibility. Graduates are expected to fill key leadership roles in the maritime industry. Our fresh graduates are expected to be employed in a broad and diverse range of shore-based jobs. Our graduates have been in diverse exciting jobs in various sectors.
There are more than 40 minors available. Full list could be found via the following link.
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies with Specialisation in International Trading
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies with Second Major in Data Analytics
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies with Second Major in Business (International Trading)
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies with Second Major in Business
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies with Second Major in Sustainability