The programme focuses primarily on shipping business and management. Courses include Marine Insurance, Shipping and the Environment, Shipping Economics, Maritime Law, Maritime Technology, Ship Chartering, Maritime Strategy and Shipping Logistics.
The Maritime Studies programme focuses primarily on shipping business and management. The programme structure is designed to equip our graduates to excel as professionals in shipping and maritime-related sectors (refer to some of the exciting careers of past Maritime Studies graduates). The programme structure is flexible and broad-based. The curriculum also includes Professional Internship to fully prepare students for their professional careers upon graduation.
In addition to the Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree in Maritime Studies, students can choose to enrol in Maritime Studies with Second Major in Business, which is jointly offered by the School of Civil & Environmental Engineering and Nanyang Business School. This programme equips students with additional proficiencies in general business management. Students can also opt for the newly launched Maritime Studies with Second Major in Data Analytics or Second Major in Sustainability. (Note that for Second Major programmes, applicants need to choose the specific degree with the Second Major in their applications.)
The specialisation in International Trading is also offered as part of the Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree in Maritime Studies, and Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree with Second Major in Business. This specialisation provides graduates with enhanced career opportunities in global commodity trading.
Students can also choose to participate in the Work-Study Degree Programme, which integrates institution-based learning with structured On-the-Job-Training in partner companies. The programme aims to enhance students’ readiness for their professional careers upon graduation.
- 4-years direct honours degree programme
- The only maritime business degree programme in Singapore
- Students can opt to do Specialisation in International Trading
Singapore-Cambridge GCE 'A' Level
- Pass in H1 Level Mathematics/'O' level Additional Mathematics or equivalent, and
- Pass in H1 Level/'O' level Science subject
- A diploma from one of the local polytechnics,
- Relevant diplomas may be exempted from selected courses,
- For a list of acceptable local diplomas, please refer here.
International Baccalaureate Diploma
- Pass in Standard Level Mathematics, and
- Pass in Standard Level Biology/ Chemistry/ Physics
International & Other Qualifications
- Pass in Junior High School Level Additional Mathematics, and
- Pass in Junior High School Level Biology/ Chemistry/ Physics/ Science
NUS High School Diploma
- Major CAP of 2.0 in Mathematics, and
- Overall CAP of 2.0 in Biology/ Chemistry/ Physics
International students must have completed at least 12 years of general education, or will be taking Year 12 national examinations in the year of application in order to be considered for admission. In addition to fulfilling the minimum entry requirements, applicants must also satisfy the minimum subject requirements. For further details, please refer here.
Students with outstanding Singapore GCE ‘A’ Level, International Baccalaureate (IB) and NUS High School Diploma results may be eligible for exemptions from the first-year Math course.
Students with outstanding Poly Diploma results may be eligible for exemptions from some of the first &/or second year courses.
This is a 4-year Direct Honours Degree Programme that provides a complete education and creates diverse opportunities to harness the talents of students and nurture graduates not limited by boundaries. The University launched an Interdisciplinary Common Core (ICC) curriculum for all undergraduate students which started in August 2021 as part of the NTU 2025 Strategic Plan to improve teaching outcomes and to prepare our students for lifelong learning. Students will also be given the opportunity to have a full semester internship attached to an industrial firm for practical learning experience.
The ICC curriculum consists of the following three main components:
|Interdisciplinary Collaborative Core (ICC) : ~25%
|➤ University-Level Core: 17 AU
|Major Requirement (Core & Major Prescribed Electives) : ~60%
|➤ Core Programme Requirement: 77 AU
➤ MajorPrescribed Electives (MPE): 6 AU
|Broadening and Deepening Electives (BDE) : ~15%
|➤ Can be used for Second Major, Minor, Specialisation, Work-Study programme, MOOCs or any electives (including additional MPE)
Details on curriculum structure can be found on the following page.
The maritime industry is positioned for consistent growth in the coming years, providing promising career opportunities characterised by competitive salaries, job stability, and flexibility. Graduates are anticipated to assume key leadership positions within the maritime sector. Many of our graduates enjoyed fulfilling careers in diverse and exciting roles across various sectors.
There are more than 40 minors available. Full list could be found via the following link.
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies with Second Major in Business
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies with Second Major in Business (International Trading)
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies with Specialisation in International Trading
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies with Second Major in Data Analytics
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies SkillsFuture Work-Study Degree Programme
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies with Second Major in Sustainability