- You are not allowed to borrow on others' behalf.
- Please check that the items are in good condition before borrowing them.
- Books with accompanying materials (e.g. CDs) are to be checked out at the Service Desk.
- Approach our staff at the Service Desk if you require any assistance.
Renewing your items
- You will not be able to renew an item if:
- It has reached its maximum loan period
- It is a recalled book
- It is reserved by another user
- You have reached or exceeded your fine limit
- Course Reserves are not renewable online. If you would like to renew a reserve item, you must go to the Service Desk
- Our renewal policy is intended to encourage users to return materials they are no longer actively using. This makes more books immediately available for browsing and research by other users, and also protects the library's collection from damage and loss. Additionally, it gives others a fair chance to access the books
You may return items borrowed from NTU Library at any of the libraries, except the following items which need to be returned to the respective service points:
- Course Reserves
- NIE Library and RSIS Library items
- Books with accompanying materials (e.g. CD-ROM)
Book Deposit Bins
You may return library items to our book deposit bins located outside all libraries and around campus when the library is closed, except the following items which need to be returned to the respective service points:
- Course Reserves
- AV materials
- Books with accompanying materials (e.g. DVD)
- Non-NTU library materials (including NIE Library and RSIS Library materials)
You may return your library items by courier service or registered mail. Please make your own arrangements if you wish to return your items to us by courier or mail. If the items are lost in transit, you are responsible for the replacement and processing costs of the lost items.
- You must return or renew your loans when due to avoid overdue fines
- You must return library items promptly when recalled
- Please check your library account online to see that all items returned are cleared from your account
- Overdue library materials that are not returned despite multiple notices will be considered lost and users will be billed the replacement and processing costs
- If the accompanying material (e.g. CD) is returned late, fines will be imposed. Books must be returned together with the accompanying material at the Service Desk during operating hours. Books with accompanying materials cannot be returned through the book deposit bins
- Course Reserves borrowed via overnight loan must be returned before 11:00 am on the due date
- Course Reserves must be returned to the Service Desk except at Lee Wee Nam Library and Library Outpost where they can be returned at the self-check machines. These materials cannot be returned through the book deposit bins.
- Course Reserves at Lee Wee Nam Library and Library Outpost can be returned at the self-check machine
A recall is a request to get back a book that is currently on loan. The Library reserves the right to recall any library material when the material is urgently needed for Course Reserves or for filling outstanding reservations.
You will have a minimum loan period of at least 28 days before a recall can take place, to allow for fair and reasonable access by the original borrower.
All items can be recalled except:
- Long-term loan materials bought under the School's research funds
Materials which are issued with a 7-day loan at the point of borrowing
- You will have at least 3 days to return the items before the recall date
- Borrowing and renewing privileges will be suspended until the recalled items are returned
- Overdue fines will occur in most cases for late returns
- If you do not return recalled items by the 3rd recall notice, it is deemed to be "lost". Users will be sent a bill for the replacement cost of the item(s)
- Fines are calculated from the due date to the day you return the item. Sundays and public holidays are excluded
- Fines for items in the Course Reserves are charged by the hour
- Borrowing and renewal privileges are stopped when the outstanding fines reach $10.00 or when recalled items are not returned by the recall due date. Privileges are restored when fines are paid and there are no overdue recalled books in your account
- Library items overdue for 42 days or more are deemed "lost". Charges for lost items are listed the "Lost or damaged materials" section
- If the item is returned, charges will be waived except for overdue fines. However, if charges have been paid, no refund will be made
- For students who are graduating, please return all Library items promptly to facilitate the graduation process
Payment of fines
The Library only accepts online payment via the payment modes listed here. Upon payment, it may take up to 2 working days to update the fines record in your library account.
We contact you primarily through your NTU email account or, for external members, the email address you have provided us. It is important to note that we also send overdue reminders to your email address. Hence, please check your inbox regularly.
Absence of a reminder is not a valid reason for a waiver of fines.
If you have changed your email address, please contact us.
Lost or damaged materials
Please treat our materials with care. If you lose our items, please note that payment is required.
Note: If the item is out of print, you will be charged 3 times the estimated cost.
|Same charges as lost item. If the item is still in repairable condition, you will be fined the processing fee of $21.80 (inclusive of 9% GST).
Your borrowing privileges will be suspended until payment is made.
Loss of membership card
Please inform the library immediately if you lose your matriculation card, staff card or library card. We will temporarily suspend your account to prevent your card from being misused.
Reporting loss of card
- In person: You may approach the staff at any library
- By online form: Contact us and include your full name and matriculation/staff/library card number
- By phone: Please call any library during our opening hours
If you have found your card, please bring it to the library to reinstate your library privileges.
Replacing your card
NTU/NIE student and staff
- Students may apply for the replacement via StudentLink
- Staff may apply for the replacement via ServiceNow@NTU
Please activate your replacement card at the library's Service Desk.
Library card holder
For library card holders (e.g. external members), please contact us and include your:
- Full name
- Library card number
- Contact number
- One passport-size colour photo in JPEG format
You will be informed once your new card is ready for collection.
Damaged or faulty card
You do not need to notify the library if your matriculation/staff card is damaged as the card is not lost. Please approach the relevant offices for the replacement.
For damaged library cards (laminated card with barcode), please return the card to any library. A new card will be issued to you.
The Library provides Course Reserves such as books or films in order to support instructional requirements for various courses.
Ordering titles for Course Reserves (For Faculty)
NTU CourseReserves is a collaborative, cloud-based course resource platform that is managed by the Library. Faculty can add books, e-books, videos and journal articles from the Library’s collection as well as open-access resources and websites to the reading (RBR) list. Refer to the LibGuide on NTU CourseReserves for more information.
Please ensure that purchases follow copyright guidelines.
Accessing Course Reserves (For Students)
- To locate Course Reserves, please check OneSearch
- Course Reserves are only available on a short loan (2 hours for books, 4 hours for AV)
- Please refer to the course reading list given to you by your lecturers for more details
Course Reserves are located at the following libraries:
|Art, Design and Media
|Art, Design and Media Library (ART-01-03)
|Library Outpost (LHS-01-03)
|Chinese Library (S3.2-B5-01)
|Communication and Information
|Communication & Information Library (CS-01-18)
|Lee Wee Nam Library (NS3-03-01)
|Humanities and Social Sciences
|Library Outpost (LHS-01-03)
|Lee Wee Nam Library (NS3-03-01)
See library locations on map.