NTU Library offers a wide range of services to support the learning, teaching and research needs of all user groups.
Connect with our librarians for assistance in research or assignments. NTU Library also provides Library Orientation services for new faculty or researchers.
- Get Expert Advice from information specialists in different disciplines
- Ask a Librarian on any other enquiries
- Join/schedule a Library Orientation session for new faculty/research staff
NTU Library provides instructions in information literacy, research skills, copyright awareness and other services to support teaching.
- Information & Media Literacy (IML) e-learning course is available to all undergraduate students on NTULearn
- Embed LibGuides on a wide range of topics into any courses
- Order book/audio-visual materials for Course Reserves
- Link directly to library e-resources (e.g. persistent links of journal articles) in NTULearn or other portals
- Understand and follow copyright and licensing rules in using and sharing content subscribed by the Library
- Share scholarly works online via DR-NTU or DR-NTU (Data)
- Explore Library spaces available for conducting seminars or exhibitions
NTU Library provides a variety of services to support researchers and faculty in their research and publishing work, including workshops, resources and advisory services.
For more information on doing research, visit the Research101 LibGuide.
Library Research Services
Support in locating published research, key information about copyright and data management plan writing.
- Advisory on literature and systematic search
- Data sources/datasets acquisition consultation
- Data management planning
- Copyright and licensing guidance
- Scholarly communication and impact seminars
- Digital Scholarship workshops (text mining, data cleaning, GIS, infographics and more)
Advisory on managing references, data, content and explore digital tools for data analysis and visualisation.
- Develop digital portals/website for managing content
- Advisory on digital tools and data visualisation
- Reference management/document preparation workshops (EndNote, Mendeley, Zotero and LaTeX)
- Research data management best practices
Support in disseminating research to a broader audience; advisory on scholarly publishing such as journal selection, content hosting, DOI minting, open publishing, peer review, and more.
- Hosting open access journals/conference papers
- DOI minting for papers and higher degree theses
- ISBN/ISSN registration for new books and journals
- Advisory/Workshops on scholarly publishing
- ORCID iD creation and advisory
Advisory in tracking and demonstrating the impact of research within and outside academia.
- Generate citation reports for Promotion & Tenure exercises.
- Enhance research impact in academia and beyond.
- Set up physical and online showcases.
Advisory and support in the archival and sharing of reports, theses, research papers and research data.
View full document on Library Research Services.
Become a Member
NTU and NIE staff and students are automatically registered as Library members with the staff or matriculation card functioning as library cards. For other types of membership, please view information and application details here.
The following table shows borrowing privileges at a glance for different groups of members. Click on the links in ‘Details’ to view more.
|Undergraduate Students||Graduate Students||Academic Staff||Admin Staff|
|Books (Max. Items)||20||30||40||40||10||10|
|Books (Days per loan period)||28||28||84||28||28||28|
|Books (Max. loan period in days*)||196||196||420||196||196||196|
|Media (Max. Items)||5||5||5||5||5||5|
|Media (Loan period in days)||7||7||7||7||Onsite use only||Onsite use only|
|Document Delivery Service||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|Interlibrary Loan Service||For final-year students only||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|Access to Course Reserves||Yes||Yes||Yes||Onsite use only||Onsite use only||Onsite use only|
|Access to e-resources||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Onsite access to limited resources only
Selected databases are accessible remotely by alumni only
|Onsite access to limited resources only|
* Items will be automatically renewed based on conditions of renewal
Library Account and Transactions
Members can borrow items from any NTU libraries and manage their loans in their account online. For more information on renewals, returns, recalls, fines, reminders, lost/damaged items or membership cards, click here.
Request for Materials
Members can request for items in the following cases:
- For items currently on loan, make a reservation
- For items in the closed stacks, place a request
- For items to be transferred to another NTU library to be picked up (available for staff and part-time students from NTU/NIE, and members with disabilities only)
- For books not available at NTU Library, make a recommendation*
- For books/articles/documents not available at NTU Library, use the Document Delivery or Interlibrary Loan services*
*Read this guide before submitting requests for these services.
Services for Members with Disabilities
In addition to stated membership privileges, members with disabilities will be able to:
- Appoint someone to borrow items on their behalf (appointed person must be a current member)
- Request for items (including closed stack items) to be transferred to any other NTU libraries for pick-up
- Request for assistance to access any libraries
Other related facilities:
- Height-adjustable tables at Lee Wee Nam Library, Business Library and Chinese Library
- Magnification TV available at Lee Wee Nam Library