• Gain first-hand research experience
• Experience Interdisciplinary research
• Experience Industry research
• Research project consumables
• Present paper at reputable International Conference
• Attend conference The Global Undergraduate Summit
• Publish research papers in archived journals or international conferences
• Publish research papers in Proceedings of the URECA @ NTU
• Share research achievements or experiences in URECA Yearbook
• Participate in a prestigious global pan-discipline academic awards programme known as The Global Undergraduate Awards
• Coordinate or participate in annual Global, Virtual, Live & Interactive Conference known as International Conference of Undergraduate Research (ICUR)
• Win award in Discover URECA Poster Exhibition & Competition event
• Receive award for journal publication as first author in a reputable journal
• Receive a URECA certificate of achievement with prestigious title “NTU President Research Scholar”
- Earn 4 Academic Units (AU) to fulfil Broadening & Deepening Elective (BDE) / Unrestricted Elective (UE), which is part of the General Education Requirement (GER) curriculum
URECA Undergraduate Research Club
- Inject vibrancy and colours to your research experience
- Bond with fellow URECA students through social activities and sharing sessions
URECA programme is available only to undergraduates who satisfy the following criteria:
(i) A full-time NTU undergraduate enrolment;
(ii) Achieved excellent academic standing based on previous academic year GPA; e.g. 2nd Year (based on 1st year semester 1 and semester 2 results); (Distinction equivalent for LKCM students only);
(iii) 2nd Year (in a 3-year Bachelor's degree programme);
(iv) 2nd or 3rd Year (in a 4-year Bachelor's degree programme);
(v) 2nd, 3rd or 4th Year (in a 5-year Bachelor's degree programme);
(vi) Require a minimum of 1 academic year remaining (semester 1 and semester 2) before graduating.
Students who are eligible for URECA will receive their invitation in end of July. Students are allowed to take up the URECA programme more than once during their undergraduate degree studies as long as they satisfy the URECA eligibility criteria and conditions.
Student who met all the criteria except (ii) but is not eligible for URECA, may appeal only from 15 September to 29 September (1 day before end of URECA Add/Drop period) through a supervisor who is prepared to supervise his/her URECA research project. This appeal should be submitted via email to URECA office with supporting documents (e.g. official transcript, past research work if any) to be considered under the Discretionary Enrollment on case by case basis.
GEM Discoverer/GEM Explorer and URECA*
If you are selected for GEM Discoverer/GEM Explorer programme, you are eligible to take up URECA if your URECA professor is agreeable and support the continuation of your URECA project at the overseas host institution. During your GEM Discoverer/GEM Explorer program, you may continue to work on your URECA project under the supervision of a professor of the overseas institution or use the facilities in the overseas intuition for your research if the institution agrees.
URECA students must complete all URECA deliverables by the stipulated deadline while on exchange programme with no exception as the URECA deliverables are submitted through Student Link.
Internship and URECA*
If you are going for Internship, you are eligible to take up URECA if your URECA professor is agreeable and support the continuation of your URECA project outside Internship hours. The Internship project and URECA project cannot be exactly the same as you cannot get credits and URECA AUs from both Internship and URECA for the same project. However, URECA does not exclude Internship and URECA in a related project at the same time as long as the student does the URECA project outside Internship hours.
URECA students must complete all URECA deliverables by the stipulated deadline while on Internship with no exception as the URECA deliverables are submitted through Student Link.
FYP and URECA
If you have started / are starting / will be starting your FYP (Semester 1 or 2) in the same academic year as URECA, you are not eligible to take up URECA. A student cannot simultaneously be registered for URECA and FYP in the same academic year. No exceptions will be given. URECA and FYP are both intensive projects, hence cannot be completed in the same academic year.
ABP and URECA
If you are an ABP (Accelerated Bachelor Programme) student who will be starting your FYP in Semester 1 or 2, you will have to DROP ABP in order to take up URECA. A student cannot simultaneously be registered for URECA and FYP in the same academic year. If you are currently under ABP, please make a choice between the two immediately. No exceptions will be given.
- If you decide to take up URECA, please inform the NTU Office of Academic Services (OAS) to drop you from ABP.
- If you decide to continue with ABP and have registered for a URECA project, please inform your supervisor to deregister you from URECA as soon as possible.
Semester Leave of Absence and URECA
If you have applied/ are applying / will be applying for a semester Leave of Absence (Semester 1 or 2) in the same academic year as URECA, you are not eligible to take up URECA. No exception will be given. URECA is a two semesters programme, hence student who is on a semester Leave of Absence is not eligible to participate in URECA.
CN Yang Scholars and URECA
URECA is open to CN Yang Scholars who meet URECA eligibility criteria.
*Students who are on overseas exchange or internship programme in semester 2 are ONLY allowed for course registration in OAS system, with written approval from their School.
*Students are STRICTLY NOT eligible for URECA if he/she is away on exchange/internship in both semesters within the same Academic Year.
URECA eligible student may
Choose available URECA projects proposed by faculty
Student may view the list of available URECA projects , arrange to meet the faculty who is offering the project to express interest to work on his/her project and to register for the project. When there is a mutual interest, supervisor will register the student to the project through URECA system.
|Project Type||List Of Research Projects||Project Proposed By|
| URECA||Click Here To View A List Of URECA Research Projects From The Various Schools.||NTU/NIE Faculty Only|
|IDR-URECA||Click Here To View A List Of Interdisciplinary-URECA Research Projects.||Two Or More NTU/NIE Faculty From Different Schools Jointly|
| CLRI-URECA||Click Here To View A List Of Corporate Lab And Research Institute-URECA Research Projects.||Faculty And Researchers At Corporate Labs Or Research Institutes|
Self-proposed URECA research project
Student may look for a faculty to supervise a particular research project of interest by completing the self-proposed URECA research project system, selects a faculty from any school/NIE and submits the project to the selected professor through the system. Selected faculty will be notified via auto notification email. Faculty may contact the student to arrange a meeting. When there is a mutual interest, supervisor will upload the URECA project proposal through URECA system and register the student to the project.
URECA eligible student is required to complete the student project proposal template through a self-proposed URECA research project system, select a supervisor from any school and submit the project to the selected professor.
Example of the Self-proposed URECA research project in the URECA Project Management System:
There is no limitation on the number of URECA project proposal a student can submit. Student may create URECA project proposal and save it as draft. However, the draft saved has to be submitted to the selected faculty before a new project proposal can be created.
Faculty will receive an auto email on the project proposal with the details submitted. Student will also receive an acknowledgement auto email that his/her project proposal has been sent to the selected faculty. Student may follow-up (e.g. email, call) directly with the faculty if he/she did not receive a reply to arrange a meeting for further discussion.
Contact faculty of choice to develop a URECA research projectStudent may contact a faculty of choice to express interest to be his/her URECA supervisor, discuss and propose a suitable URECA research project. When there is a mutual interest, supervisor will upload the URECA project proposal through URECA system and register the student to the project.
FYP-URECA is a Final Year project (FYP) that is conducted as a continuation of an earlier URECA project carried out by a student during his/her 2nd and/or 3rd year of study. It aims to maintain the continuity of students' research experience as far as possible. Under this programme, students will continue with their URECA supervising professors as one of their FYP-URECA supervisors.
The objective of FYP-URECA is to encourage and nurture undergraduates to become researchers by equipping students with the essential research experience and skills. FYP-URECA serve as a foundation for their postgraduate studies.
FYP-URECA student will be eligible for the following:
- Claim up to $500 of project consumable with the same claim criteria as URECA in addition to the school FYP consumable fund given;
- Apply for URECA conference support fund up to $2,500 if his/her paper is accepted for presentation in a reputable conference;
- Apply for journal publication award when he/she is the first author of the published paper in a reputed journal;
- Participate in the URECA Poster Exhibition & Competition and win attractive awards;
- Participate in a prestigious global pan-discipline academic awards programme known as The Undergraduate Award (UA-URECA);
- Coordinate or participate in annual Global, Virtual, Live & Interactive Conference known as International Conference of Undergraduate Research (ICUR-URECA);
- Upon successful completion of the FYP-URECA programme, student will receive a certificate.
FYP-URECA duration follows the individual school FYP duration; however FYP-URECA student is required to submit the FYP-URECA deliverables in addition to individual school's FYP requirements.
If your FYP-URECA is 1 semester only or 2 semesters that crosses 2 Academic Years (semester 2 follow by semester 1), please inform URECA programme office at URECA@ntu.edu.sg.
The Academic Units (AUs) are awarded by individual students' schools. Hence, there is no additional AUs from URECA for FYP-URECA projects.
FYP-URECA is open to all students who have successfully completed one academic year of URECA programme under their URECA supervising faculty as one of their FYP-URECA supervisors.
Eligible students will be invited to register their URECA projects for FYP-URECA between March and end of June, regardless if their school FYP starts in Semester 1 or 2 in the new academic year.
FYP-URECA is only applicable to URECA student whose school offers FYP.
FYP-URECA project must follow student’s school specification in its entirety. Student must meet his/her school FYP requirements to register for FYP-URECA.
Student is required to ensure his/her school FYP registration is still open before registering for FYP-URECA.
FYP-URECA student is required to register his/her FYP-URECA project as FYP project with his/her school within the school FYP registration period as FYP-URECA registration system and school FYP registration system are not linked.
If URECA student is continuing his/her URECA project into FYP-URECA under the supervision of his/her URECA supervisor who is not from his/her school, he/she is required to have a co-supervisor from his/her school to satisfy the school's requirement.
- School's supervising professor is responsible for FYP marks submission and other project requirements set by the school.
- URECA supervising professor is responsible for FYP-URECA project proposal submission, registration and approval of FYP-URECA deliverables (FYP-URECA deliverables are in addition to individual school's FYP requirements) and consumables claims.
FYP-URECA eligible student may choose to do his/her FYP-URECA project in-group subjects to approval from his/her school.
The FYP-URECA project ownership is the FYP-URECA registered student if his/her FYP group mate(s) is not former URECA student(s). His/her group mate(s) will be listed as collaborator(s) in his/her FYP-URECA deliverables submission and will not be eligible for the following:
- Claim for FYP-URECA project consumables purchases;
- Participate in the annual URECA Poster Exhibition and Competition event;
- Participate in the International Conference of Undergraduate Research – URECA (ICUR-URECA);
- Apply for fund up to $2,500 if his/her paper is accepted for presentation in a reputable conference;
- Apply for URECA journal publication award when he/she is the first author of the published paper in a reputed journal;
- Receive FYP-URECA certificate upon successful completion of the FYP-URECA programme.