The Second Major programme provides Engineering students with entrepreneurship competency and broadens their understanding in enterprise and innovation.
The Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) degree in Civil Engineering with a Second Major in in Entrepreneurship is jointly offered by the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Nanyang Technopreneurship Center.
This Second Major programme equips Environmental Engineering students with entrepreneurship competency and broaden their understanding in enterprise and innovation. Students are required to participate in the Experiential Programme and the 20-week Overseas Entrepreneurship Programme (OEP) or a 20-week local Professional Internship with start-ups or venture capital firms.
- 4 years direct honours programme
- Accredited and globally recognised programme
- 20 weeks Professional Internship
- Students can opt to do Specialisation in Coastal Protection
Singapore-Cambridge GCE 'A' Level
- Pass in H2 Level Mathematics, and
- Pass in H2 Level Biology/ Chemistry/ Computing/ Physics, and
- Pass in H1/ ‘O’ Level Physics1 or equivalent
- A diploma from one of the local polytechnics,
- Relevant diplomas will be considered for direct entry into the second year (by merit) and may be exempted from selected courses,
- For a list of acceptable local diplomas, please refer here.
International Baccalaureate Diploma
- Pass in Higher Level Mathematics, and
- Pass in Higher Level Biology/ Chemistry/ Computer Science/ Physics, and
- Pass in Standard Level Physics2 or equivalent
NUS High School Diploma
- Major CAP of 2.0 in Mathematics, and
- Major CAP of 2.0 in Biology/ Chemistry/ Physics, and
- Overall CAP of 2.0 in Physics3 or equivalent
International & Other Qualifications
- Pass in Senior High School Level Mathematics, and
- Pass in Senior High School Level Biology/ Chemistry/ Physics, and
- Pass in Junior High School Level Physics4
1 Pass in H1 Level / ‘O’ Level Physics is only applicable to applicants who have not read H2 Level Physics.
2 Pass in Standard Level Physics is only applicable to applicants who have not read Higher Level Physics.
3 Overall CAP of 2.0 in Physics is only applicable to applicants who have not majored in Physics.
4 Pass in Junior High School Level Physics is only applicable to applicants who have not read Senior High School Level Physics.
Applicants with only a H1 Level / ‘O’ Level pass in Physics are required to read 'PH1012 Physics A' instead of 'PH1011 Physics' in their first semester. Computer Engineering and Computer Science students will read 'SC1013 Physics for Computing' instead.
* Students who are undecided on their Engineering major may opt for Engineering (i.e. Common Engineering) at the point of application. All Common Engineering students will read a semester of common first year courses after which they will be streamed into either Civil Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Materials Engineering or Mechanical Engineering at the end of Year 1, Semester 1. In all cases, admissions and streaming into an engineering major is merit-based.
International students must have completed at least 12 years of general education, or will be taking Year 12 national examinations in the year of application in order to be considered for admission. In addition to fulfilling the minimum entry requirements, applicants must also satisfy the minimum subject requirements. For further details, please refer here.
Students with outstanding Singapore GCE ‘A’ Level, International Baccalaureate (IB) and NUS High School Diploma results may be eligible for exemptions from up to 3 selected first-year courses, more details could be found via the following link
Students with outstanding Poly Diploma results admit directly to Second year, may be eligible for exemptions for the course MH1810 Mathematics I.
We prepare graduates to make significant impact through enterprise and innovation. The Second Major in Entrepreneurship (SMiE) is introduced to:
- Equip NTU students with fundamental entrepreneurship competency and broaden their understanding of enterprise and innovation;
- Enrich them with an entrepreneurial mindset to deal with uncertainties in a VUCA world and be the drivers of technology innovation;
- Provide them with hands-on experiences in technopreneurship through experiential learning approach and a 20-week local/overseas internship with start-ups, venture capital firms, or other entrepreneurship related organisations;
- Expand their entrepreneurial network and be part of the ecosystem, and
- Enable students to seize opportunities from new technologies and support them to venture into technology start-ups.
Besides the Core Programme Requirement, students are required to take:
- Compulsory Courses (12AU)
- Elective Courses (at least 13 AU)
- Compulsory Experiential Component (10AU)
Further information on Second Major in Entrepreneurship can be found on this page.
Besides career opportunities in infrastructure development for Civil Engineering graduates, the Second Major in Entrepreneurship provides students with skills and network to pursue careers related to entrepreneurship. Examples include consultancy in innovation management, and those related to funding/launching of innovative products or R&D projects.
Our graduates have been in diverse exciting jobs in various sectors.
There are more than 40 minors available. Some popular minors are as follows,
- Minor in Business
- Minor in International Trading
Full list could be found via the following link
- Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering with Second Major in Society & Urban Systems
- Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering with Second Major in Business
- Double Degree in Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering and Bachelor of Social Science in Economics
- Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering with Second Major in Data Analytics
- Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering with Second Major in Sustainability