We live in a time of large-scale challenges, where climate change, deforestation, biodiversity loss and ocean acidification are no longer only considered from an environmental perspective, but also in terms of social justice, economic development, technological adaptation, and political will. The survival of our growing population depends on the natural resources we continue to overexploit, but there is increasing awareness on how the concept of sustainability strives to address this. By understanding how our environment, economy and society interact, applying this to technological innovation and communicating readily with decision makers, we can maintain the health of our world for the benefit of current and future generations.
The Bachelor of Science in Environmental Earth Systems Science with 2nd Major in Sustainability programme accepts ‘A’ Level, IB, NUSHS Diploma, Polytechnic Diploma and other equivalent international qualifications on a selective basis. All candidates with strong academic potential who satisfy minimum subject requirements as well as the general admission requirements set by NTU will be considered.
- H1 Level Pass in Mathematics AND
- H2 Level Pass in Physics/Chemistry/Biology/Economics/Computing
IB Diploma Students:
- Mathematics at Standard Level AND
- Physics/Chemistry/Biology/Economics/Computer Science at Higher Level
International and Other Qualifications:
- Mathematics at O Level/Junior High School and equivalent AND
- Physics/Chemistry/Biology/Economics at Senior High School
NUS High School Diploma:
- Major CAP of 2.0 in Mathematics AND
- Major CAP of 2.0 in Physics/Chemistry/Biology
- Please visit us on the web to learn which polytechnic diplomas are eligible for our programme
Requirements for Second Major in Sustainability:
Students need to fulfil a minimum total of 30 AU (compulsory courses + electives + interdisciplinary project).
|5 compulsory courses, 1 course in each knowledge area (People, Planet, Profit, Practice and Policy)
|Elective Courses (a min. total of 12 AU)
Course Requirements for Second Major in Sustainability
To be awarded the Second Major in Sustainability, students are required to complete:
- 1 core course in each knowledge area (People, Planet, Profit, Practice and Policy)
- A minimum total of 12 AU of elective courses
- Interdisciplinary project
A minimum total of 30 AU has to be completed (core courses in each knowledge area + electives + interdisciplinary project).
Core Courses(To complete at least 1 course in each knowledge area – People, Planet, Profit, Practice and Policy)
|EM5109 Environmental Issue & Sustainability
|ES5006 Environmental Sustainability
|HV5001 Introduction to Environmental Humanities
|ES5001 Natural Hazards and Society
|ES5005 Environmental Earth System Science
|ES5007 Climate and Climate Change
|AB0603 Social Entrepreneurship
|HE5091 Principles of Economics
|EM5103 Water Resources Management
|EM5104 Air Quality Management
|EG1001 Engineers in Society
|BM2517 Marketing Sustainability for the Next Generation
|HA1001 Introduction to International Relations and Foreign Policy
|HA1003 Introduction to Public Administration and Public Policy
|HU1002 Introduction to Urban Planning
# Students who matriculated in AY2021-2022 or later should choose these course codes.
* Pre-requisites apply
Please find the full curriculum here.
Please click here for additional information about second major at NTU.
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Earth Systems Science
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Earth Systems Science and Public Policy and Global Affairs
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Earth Systems Science with Second Major in Data Analytics
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Earth Systems Science with Second Major in Entrepreneurship