Structural biology has gained importance in the biomedical field, with an increasing impact on healthcare and medicine. Areas of study include structure-based discovery, structure-based vaccine design, structure-based design and biomedics, structure-based design of novel biomaterials and structure-based design of protein engineering.
At least H1/SL or equivalent pass in Mathematics and a good H2/HL/A Level or equivalent pass in Physics, Chemistry or Biology.
This is a full time four-year Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Biological Sciences with 2nd major in Biomedical Structural Biology.
During the period of study for the degree of Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences with Biomedical Structural Biology Major, a student must pursue such courses of study as may be prescribed by Regulations made by the Academic Board on the recommendation
of the School of Biological Sciences.
For successful completion of the programme and be eligible for graduation, students are required to fulfil the following requirements:
- For students admitted to the programme (From AY2021 and onwards) should obtain a total of not less than 138 academic units within the maximum period permitted, unless a candidate has been granted exemption by the School from taking certain courses, on a case-by-case basis.
- For students admitted to the programme (From AY2018 to AY2020) should obtain a total of not less than 144 academic units within the maximum period permitted.
- For students admitted to the programme (in AY2017 and before) should obtain a total of not less than 149 academic units within the maximum period permitted.
- Students are required to maintain a CGPA of at least 4.0 throughout their programme. Should a student fail to maintain the required CGPA, the school would recommend to him/her the option to drop the 2nd major and join the standard BS (Hons) programme.
- To qualify for the Biomedical Structural Biology Major, students must complete a minimum of:
- 31AUs of Biomedical Structural Biology courses for AY2018 intake and onwards
- 35AUs of Biomedical Structural Biology courses for AY2017 intake and before
The courses fall under the Broadening & Deepening Education (BDE) /General Education Requirement Unrestricted Elective (GER-UE)/ category.
- For Year 1 students admitted in AY2020 and onwards
- For Year 1 students admitted in AY2019
- For Year 1 students admitted in AY2018
- For Year 1 students admitted in AY2017 and before