This is a prestigious new programme combining the Biological Sciences (Honours) programme with the highly popular Food Sciences and Technology as a 2nd Major, in partnership with the University of Wageningen and School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering and School of Physical & Mathematical Sciences in NTU.
Students will be selected from each school to join the FST from the 2nd year of their BEng/BSc programmes. 5 core courses of this major (consisting of both theoretic and practice parts): Food Chemistry, Food Physics, Food Microbiology, Food Process Engineering, and Food Quality Design, will be taught by the faculties from Wageningen University with coordinators at NTU. Students will be able to choose prescribed electives from SCBE, SBS and SPMS. The interdisciplinary nature of the programme will benefit students who are interested in NTU BSc/BEng programmes and at the same time have a strong curiosity about food process with engineering and industrial point of view.
- Online learning via Wageningen University course site with weekly interactive Live Question Hour (LQH)
- Networking for Career Development in Local Food Industry
- Priority Internship in Local Food Industry
- Student Exchange with Wageningen University
- Academic (WU Core Courses)
- Research (Final Year Project)
- Study Trip to Wageningen University
- 1 week of CH9202 Food Physics laboratory class
- 1 week of industrial visits to various food companies and industries in the Netherlands
At least H2 or equivalent pass in Mathematics and a H2 Level or equivalent pass in Physics, Chemistry or Biology
At least H1 or equivalent pass in Mathematics and two H2 Level or equivalent pass in Physics, Chemistry or Biology
This is a full time four-year Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Biological Sciences with 2nd major in Food Science and Technology.
During the period of study for the degree of Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences with Food Science and Technology Major, a student must pursue such courses of study as may be prescribed by Regulations made by the Academic Board on the recommendation of the School of Biological Sciences.
For successful completion of the programme and be eligible for graduation, students are required to fulfil the following requirements:
- For students admitted to (from AY2021 and onwards), to obtain a total of not less than 137 academic units within the maximum period permitted, unless granted exemption by the School from taking certain courses, on a case-by-case basis.
- For students admitted (from AY2018 to AY2020), to obtain a total of not less than 146 academic units within the maximum period permitted.
- For students admitted in (AY2017 and before), to obtain a total of not less than 147 academic units within the maximum period permitted.
- Students are required to maintain a CGPA of at least 4.0 throughout their course of study. Should a student fail to maintain the required CGPA, the school would recommend him/her the option to drop the 2nd Major and join the standard BS (Hons) programme.
- To qualify for the Food Science and Technology Major, students must complete a minimum of:
- 30AUs of FST courses for AY20201 intake and onwards
- 33AUs of FST courses for AY2020 intake and before
The courses fall under the Broadening & Deepening Education (BDE) /General Education Requirement Unrestricted Elective (GER-UE)/ category.
- For Year 1 students admitted in AY2022 and AY2023
- For Year 1 students admitted in AY2021
- For Year 1 students admitted in AY2020
- For Year 1 students admitted in AY2019
- For Year 1 students admitted in AY2018
- For Year 1 students admitted in AY2015 to AY2017
- For Year 1 students admitted in AY2014