NTU Civil Engineering programme provides a unique engineering education that prepares students to address the challenges of sustainability in future cities. The programme prepares Civil Engineering students for careers related to Urban Infrastructures & Solutions. The civil engineering courses in the programme can be broadly categorised into Infrastructure Development and Urban Solutions.
- Examples of courses: Structural Analysis, Project Management & Planning, Engineering Geology & Soil Mechanics, Construction Technology & Processes
- Examples of courses: Civil Engineering & Sustainable Built Environment, Water Resource Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Coastal Engineering, Inland and Coastal Flood Management, Transport Engineering, Highway Engineering
Curriculum also includes Interdisciplinary Collaborative Core (ICC) Courses and Broadening & Deepening Electives.
Besides B.Eng. in Civil Engineering, students can choose to undergo more in-depth study of sustainable urban solutions in our Second Major programme in Society and Urban Systems. This second major programme provides Civil Engineering students with socio-economic and environmental perspectives to prepare them for career pathways related to Urban Planning. Besides additional courses on urban planning, students in this second major will study courses selected from three categories - Urban Economics and Public Policy, Society and Culture, and Water & Environmental Management.
Other Second Majors for Civil Engineering are Business, Data Analytics, and Entrepreneurship (refer to Related Programmes at the bottom of page).
- Be competent and engaged engineering professionals for succeeding in their civil engineering profession;
- Possess problem solving, lifelong learning and digital skills for continuing professional development;
- Be competent in addressing complex civil engineering problems and to provide economical and sustainable solutions;
- Possess effective management and leadership skills within their professional domain; and
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit to seize growth opportunities in infrastructure.
- 4 years direct honours programme
- Accredited and globally recognised programme
- 20 weeks Professional Internship
- Specialisation in Coastal Protection
Singapore-Cambridge GCE 'A' Level
- Pass in H2 Level Mathematics, and
- Pass in H2 Level Biology/ Chemistry/ Computing/ Physics, and
- Pass in H1/ ‘O’ Level Physics1 or equivalent
- A diploma from one of the local polytechnics,
- Relevant diplomas will be considered for direct entry into the second year (by merit) and may be exempted from selected courses,
- For a list of acceptable local diplomas, please refer here.
International Baccalaureate Diploma
- Pass in Higher Level Mathematics, and
- Pass in Higher Level Biology/ Chemistry/ Computer Science/ Physics, and
- Pass in Standard Level Physics2 or equivalent
NUS High School Diploma
- Major CAP of 2.0 in Mathematics, and
- Major CAP of 2.0 in Biology/ Chemistry/ Physics, and
- Overall CAP of 2.0 in Physics3 or equivalent
International & Other Qualifications
- Pass in Senior High School Level Mathematics, and
- Pass in Senior High School Level Biology/ Chemistry/ Physics, and
- Pass in Junior High School Level Physics4
1 Pass in H1 Level / ‘O’ Level Physics is only applicable to applicants who have not read H2 Level Physics.
2 Pass in Standard Level Physics is only applicable to applicants who have not read Higher Level Physics.
3 Overall CAP of 2.0 in Physics is only applicable to applicants who have not majored in Physics.
4 Pass in Junior High School Level Physics is only applicable to applicants who have not read Senior High School Level Physics.
Applicants with only a H1 Level / ‘O’ Level pass in Physics are required to read 'PH1012 Physics A' instead of 'PH1011 Physics' in their first semester. Computer Engineering and Computer Science students will read 'SC1013 Physics for Computing' instead.
* Students who are undecided on their Engineering major may opt for Engineering (i.e. Common Engineering) at the point of application. All Common Engineering students will read a semester of common first year courses after which they will be streamed into either Civil Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Materials Engineering or Mechanical Engineering at the end of Year 1, Semester 1. In all cases, admissions and streaming into an engineering major is merit-based.
International students must have completed at least 12 years of general education, or will be taking Year 12 national examinations in the year of application in order to be considered for admission. In addition to fulfilling the minimum entry requirements, applicants must also satisfy the minimum subject requirements. For further details, please refer here.
Students with outstanding Singapore GCE ‘A’ Level, International Baccalaureate (IB) and NUS High School Diploma results may be eligible for exemptions from up to 3 selected first-year courses, more details could be found via the following link.
Students with outstanding Poly Diploma results admit directly to Second year, may be eligible for exemptions for the course MH1810 Mathematics I.
This is a 4-year Direct Honours Degree Programme that provides a complete education and creates diverse opportunities to harness the talents of students and nurture graduates not limited by boundaries. The University launched an Interdisciplinary Common Core (ICC) curriculum for all undergraduate students which started in August 2021 as part of the NTU 2025 Strategic Plan to improve teaching outcomes and to prepare our students for lifelong learning. Students will also be given the opportunity to have a full semester internship attached to an industrial firm for practical learning experience.
The ICC curriculum consists of the following three main components:
|1.||Interdisciplinary Collaborative Core (ICC) : ~25%|
|➤ University-Level Core: 17 AU|
|2.||Major Requirement (Core & Major Prescribed Electives) : ~60%|
|➤ Core Programme Requirement: 80 AU|
➤ MajorPrescribed Electives (MPE): 3 AU
|3.||Broadening and Deepening Electives (BDE) : ~15%|
|➤ Can be used for Second Major, Minor, Specialisation, Work-Study programme, MOOCs or any electives (including additional MPE)|
Graduates can look forward to careers in various engineering fields related to infrastructure development and urban solutions, to address the most pressing problems of society, and to apply sophisticated technologies to meet society’s needs in an environmentally sustainable manner.
Graduates can look forward to a wide range of career prospects in fields such as infrastructure planning and development, urban planning, construction technology, seismic and protective engineering, structural project procurement and management, water resources engineering, and environmental technologies.
Our graduates are employed in roles such as:
- Civil Engineer
- Product Engineer
- Building and Construction Project Manager
- Policy and Planning Manager
- Application Engineer
- Structural Design Engineer
- Transportation Engineer
- Business Consultant
There are more than 40 minors available. Some popular minors are as follows,
- Minor in Business
- Minor in International Trading
Full list could be found via the following link.
- Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering with Second Major in Business
- Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering with Second Major in Society & Urban Systems
- Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering with Second Major in Entrepreneurship
- Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering with Second Major in Data Analytics
- Double Degree in Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering and Bachelor of Social Science in Economics
- Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering with Second Major in Sustainability