The Bachelor of Applied Computing in Finance is jointly offered by Nanyang Business School (NBS) and College of Computing & Data Science (CCDS).
The big data analytics and digitalization revolution has created a strong demand for professionals with the ability to apply technological and data science know-how in the context of financial services. On one hand, financial institutions are expanding their capacity in data science, blockchain technology, robotic process automation, and artificial intelligence. On the other hand, many tech giants with a large user base and significant data and technical advantages are expanding their services into financial services areas. Given these trends, an integrated interdisciplinary degree combining finance with technological and data analytical skillsets is well-positioned to meet the demand of financial institutions and FinTech firms for talents who have a blend of programming, data and statistics skills, analytics know-how, and in-depth finance domain knowledge.
The vision and mission of Nanyang Technological University (NTU) is a great global university founded on science and technology, nurturing leaders and creating societal impact through interdisciplinary education and research. By leveraging the expertise of the faculty of Nanyang Business School (NBS) and College of Computing & Data Science (CCDS), two world-class schools within NTU, ACF is a practice of interdisciplinary education that cultivates talents and leaders throughout the digitalization journey of the financial industry. Both NBS and CCDS envision and advocate the use of technology to create innovative solutions for the grand challenges facing the finance industry and FinTech sector.
The Bachelor of Applied Computing in Finance will provide students with deep domain knowledge in finance and strong technological and analytical skillsets. Students with such integrated knowledge and expertise will be able to improve financial institutions’ process efficiency, provide important business insights, find new opportunities to support decision-making, and lead organizations, especially financial institutions. They would also be valuable to FinTech startup companies looking for integrated finance and computing talents.
Students will be able to focus on one of the three specializations, namely Financial Analytics and WealthTech, Crypto Asset and Blockchain, and Digital Banking and Security.
- Cross-disciplinary with emphasis on the application of technology in finance
- Essential skills in finance and computing
- Integrated knowledge with co-developed courses by NBS and CCDS
- Experiential oriented
- Industry-applied research project where students work on problem statements proposed by industry partners and co-supervised by NBS and CCDS’s faculty members
- Compulsory 20-week professional internship. Students also have the option to extend the internship for another 10 weeks
- H2 Maths = A, exempted from MH1810
- H2 Computing = A, exempted from SC1003
- Diploma with Merit in Mathematics, exempted from MH1810
Four years, direct honours
|Major Prescribed Elective (MPE)
|Common Foundation and Interdisciplinary Collaborative Core (CFICC)
|Broadening and Deepening Electives (BDE)
Core (24 courses x 3 Aus)
MPE (5 courses x 3 Aus)
BDE (4-5 courses x 3 Aus)
With a Bachelor of Applied Computing in Finance from Nanyang Technological University, you will be able to choose from a broad, diverse range of career options such as data analysts in financial institutions and FinTech firms, digital strategists in financial institutions and consulting firms, and business analysts and product managers in Fintech firms and financial institutions.
Potential employers of Applied Computing in Finance graduates can be broadly classified into three groups:
- Financial Institutions that are either aggressively transforming the organization to adapt to the digital economy or actively investing in technology.
- FinTech firms that provide consumer financial services, digital banks, and mobile payment technology firms.
- Analytics/Data vendors consist of firms that provide data analytics and solutions as part of their business models and consulting firms that provide digital transformation consulting services.