With NTU’s continued rise as a leading research university, its research has evolved to be more collaborative, global and interdisciplinary in nature. We will place greater emphasis on our pursuit of quality and uniformity of excellence in research, while also addressing Singapore’s national priorities and some of humanity’s grand challenges.
To achieve our research ambition, we will pursue the following goals:
Catalyse high-impact research
We will cultivate an environment that motivates researchers to participate in curiosity-driven and applications-inspired research of deep intellectual value while nurturing strong interdisciplinary collaborations.
Integrate research with learning
We will provide greater opportunities for students to engage in research in their undergraduate programme.
We will focus on these clusters with potential for significant intellectual and societal impact, which are aligned with Singapore’s national Research, Innovation and Enterprise 2025 plan:
- Health & Society
- Culture, Organisations & Society
- Artificial & Augmented Intelligence
- Resilient Urbanisation & Natural Ecosystems
- Future of Industry
- Brain & Learning
- Create and nurture unique, world-leading academic and research entities and foster outcomes that address industry and societal needs
- Build cross-college teams and local and global networks to address grand challenges
- Interdisciplinary faculty appointments across Schools and Colleges
- A critical mass of faculty, staff and students in areas of scientific and strategic importance
- Develop NTU as the academic and research backbone of a new ecosystem of R&D centres, technology partners, training providers and Factories of the Future in the Jurong Innovation District adjacent to the NTU Smart Campus
- Connect NTU’s wide range of intellectual assets in diverse areas including logistics, supply chains, autonomous systems, commerce and maritime studies with the new Tuas Mega Port infrastructure close to the NTU main campus to propel Singapore’s role as a major commerce hub
- Enhance NTU’s island-wide connectivity with the new Jurong Region Line running through the campus
- Strengthen NTU’s Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine as one of the key pillars of HealthCity Novena, a new holistic ecosystem that includes health services, research and education
Mitigating our impact on the environment
How do we better understand, articulate and address humanity’s impact on the environment through the interplay of technology, policy and human behaviour? How can we best do this in partnership with other academic institutions, industry, public agencies, and non-profit organisations?
This grand challenge addressing our relationship with the environment will bring together approaches that examine areas such as ecosystem resilience, food and water security, climate science, energy science, sociology, human behavioural science, business, biotechnology, pandemics, and global trade.