Exempt Category 4 - Secondary research on existing (or public) datasets or biological materials
This category is for secondary research on existing datasets (containing individually identifiable information; e.g. data, documents, records), including publicly available datasets (e.g social media platforms), or existing repositories (containing identifiable bio-specimens) for which consent is not required due to the exemption criteria below.
Note: Secondary research should not be conducted without first obtaining Exempt approval.
- Datasets and repositories (sources of individually identifiable information or identifiable bio-specimens) that are already existing or publicly available (e.g. social media).
- The information used for the secondary research is recorded by the PI in such a manner that subjects cannot be identified directly or indirectly through identifiers linked to the subjects.
- For continued use of identifiable data, prior broad consent must have been obtained from the subjects for use in future secondary research;
- No follow-on contact with the subjects for the secondary research, and no return of individual research results (unless required by law);
- No re-identification of subjects once anonymised.
Research teams are to ensure that the handling of research data meets PDPA, HBRA and other regulatory requirements in Singapore.
- Secondary research utilizing multiple datasets, where there is a chance of re-identification of subjects, is not eligible.
- Prospective collection of additional data through contact with the subject or by any other means.