The Eric and Wendy Schmidt AI in Science Postdoctoral Fellowship
The Eric and Wendy Schmidt AI in Science Postdoctoral Fellowship, a program of Schmidt Futures, is a new international initiative that seeks to change how science is done by accelerating the incorporation of AI techniques into the natural sciences, engineering, and mathematical science (STEM), providing access to AI tools and training to the sharpest minds on the frontlines of scientific innovation.
The program aims to create great science; an acceleration of the substantive use of AI in imagining, planning, executing, and supporting scientific research around the world; and the building of a global cohort of scientific leaders with a grounding in the application of AI in their fields.
Fellows will have the opportunity to pursue original research on significant questions in AI and science. They will form a cohort of top scholars across the natural sciences engaging in joint training and research activities. Fellows will be provided with a unique, cross-campus ecosystem of training in AI methods necessary for conducting their research. They will receive a competitive salary and benefits, generous travel allowances, and the opportunity to collaborate with partners worldwide.
- Applicants must be within 3 years of having obtained PhD degree or equivalent degree in non-computer science areas.
- Excellent academic records and research potential.
- Applicant is required to submit a thoughtful and realistic inter-disciplinary research proposal. Only research on applying AI techniques to engineering, natural sciences and mathematical sciences will be supported.
- Applicants are required to identify a potential project mentor (i.e. NTU Faculty), who can provide access to valuable academic and career guidance.
Fellowship Terms and Conditions
- The fellowship will be tenable for up to two (2) years with an attractive remuneration package.
- Awardees will be required to take at least one AI module every year during the fellowship.
- Awardees are required to submit an annual progress report to the University and Schmidt Futures, stating their progress, results and contributions.
- Awardees are required to attend conferences/workshops/seminars organized by the host University and Schmidt Futures to present their research and seek collaborations.
- The Eric and Wendy Schmidt AI in Science Postdoctoral Fellowship 2023 Call for Application is currently open.
- Candidates interested to apply for the scheme are required to contact their potential project mentor (i.e. NTU Faculty) and work with the potential mentor in submitting their application package. Please check with the project mentor for internal deadline.
- Each applicant is required to submit the complete application form (Download Template) with the following supporting documents:
- 2-page research proposal (Section 7 (i) on application form)
- Comprehensive CV (with full publication list)
- Official Doctorate transcript or Degree Certificate in English
- Confirmation from NTU faculty member who is agreeable to be the applicant’s project mentor.
- Two reference letters (one must be from PhD Supervisor)
- Top 3 publications (in PDF) and any other supporting documents (scanned copy)
Queries can be sent to Dr Yao Wei ([email protected])