The National Institute of Education Overseas Graduate Scholarship (NIE OGS) will sponsor outstanding candidates to pursue full-time doctoral studies overseas. Upon completion of their doctoral studies, candidates will return to serve as educators and academicians in NIE.
The applicant must fulfill the following criteria:
- Be a Singapore Citizen;
- Has excellent academic records with very good Honours or Master’s degrees (or professional qualifications of equivalent standing), with relevant teaching and some research experience; and
- Has the passion to pursue a challenging career in academia.
The scholarship is tenable for a period of three years. The scholarship will provide:
- Two sets of economy class air tickets (one at commencement and completion of the doctoral study, and one to return to Singapore for data collection for the doctoral thesis);
- Overseas maintenance allowance;
- Pre-studies allowance (at the commencement of the doctoral study);
- Thesis allowance (upon completion of doctoral study);
- Tuition and other compulsory fees; and
- Conference and fieldwork grants (by application)
A scholar studying in the United States may be considered for a fourth year of sponsorship if the required minimum period of candidature is at least 4 years.
The scholar will serve a few months in the Ministry of Education (MOE) Headquarters before embarking on the doctoral studies (if applicable).
The scholar will be required to enter into a bond to serve the National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NIE NTU) as an employee for a period of five years upon obtaining the doctoral degree.
NIE NTU reserves the right to revise the terms of scholarship as it deems fit.
The Mathematics and Mathematics Education (MME) Academic Group (AG) at the NIE is part of the Singapore mathematics education ecology that has produced a world-class system for students of varied abilities. Our vision is to be a world class symbiosis of mathematics educators and mathematicians. Mathematician educators are teachers of mathematics who base their pedagogy on a strong foundation of mathematics disciplinarity, learning theories and mathematics education research findings. Our mission is to nurture mathematician educators for Singapore and the world through research and exemplary teaching.
The applicant should be a good mathematics classroom teacher in a mainstream Singapore school with at least four years of authentic classroom experience. The applicant should have obtained a Master’s Degree in Education preferably from a renowned university. The applicant must have continued to be engaged in education research prior to his/her PhD study and have the passion to be an academic staff in NIE engaging in both mathematics education research and teaching.
- Curriculum Vitae (which should include academic qualifications, employment history, scholarships & awards, a brief description of your research experience and publication list if available);
- A succinct write-up (2 pages) on the research topic which you intend to pursue;
- A succinct write-up (4 pages) on your commitment and interest in the area of study applied for and the expected contribution to NIE, schools and the Singapore education system;
- An abstract of any thesis previously written;
- Copies of 2 pieces of research work that you consider to be your most significant works (if available);
- All relevant educational certificates and transcripts including GCE ‘O’ & ‘A’ level, Polytechnic diploma, University degree(s);
- Letters for scholarships, prizes, other awards, memberships in academic & professional societies;
- A copy of the letter(s) of offer from each university applied to for admission to doctoral study (if available);
- A copy of the letter(s) of offer for other scholarships and/or awards applied for and the outcome of these applications (if available); and
- A minimum of 2 confidential referees’ reports (preferably from academic referees), to be sent through email to [email protected].
The application deadline is 17 December 2023.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.