The Maritime Studies programme focuses primarily on shipping business and management and the Second Major in Business (International Trading) provides Maritime Studies students with additional scope on general business management and international commodity trading.
The Maritime Studies programme focuses primarily on shipping business and management. The programme structure is designed to equip our graduates to excel as professionals in shipping and maritime related sectors (refer to some of the exciting careers of past Maritime Studies graduates). The programme structure is flexible and broad-based. The curriculum also includes Professional Internship to fully prepare students for their professional careers upon graduation.
The Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Maritime Studies with Second Major in Business is jointly offered by the School of Civil & Environmental Engineering and Nanyang Business School. This programme equips students with additional proficiencies in general business management and international commodity trading. (Note that for Second Major programmes, applicants need to choose the specific degree with the Second Major in their applications.)
The specialisation in International Trading is also offered as part of the Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree in Maritime Studies, and Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree with Second Major in Business. This specialisation provides graduates with enhanced career opportunities in global commodity trading.
Recent news on the Maritime Industry and its Importance to Singapore:
- Record number of containers handled by Singapore ports last year; figure set to increase (The Straits Times, JAN 13, 2022)
- SG remains as top maritime city (Singapore Business Review, 15 JAN, 2022)
- Maritime sector set to get $20b boost, more new jobs by 2024 (The Straits Times, MARCH 6, 2021)
- 1,000 traineeships, attachments on offer in growing maritime sector (The Straits Times, OCT 23, 2020)
- Port resilient amid Covid-19 pandemic as container throughput remains robust (The Straits Times, AUG 15, 2020)
- Maritime Industry Overview: A Vibrant and Leading Industry (Maritime Singapore)
- Sea Transport Industry Transformation (where Developing a Future-Ready Maritime Workforce is a key strategy.)
- 4-years direct honours degree programme
- The only maritime business degree programme in Singapore
- Students shall have opportunities to go on overseas exchange(s) to partner universities offering maritime courses.
- Students can opt to do Specialisation in International Trading
POLYTECHNIC DIPLOMA: A diploma from local polytechnics. Applicants may be granted course exemptions.
INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE DIPLOMA: Mathematics at Standard Level and Physics / Chemistry / Biology at Standard Level.
NUS HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA: Major CAP of 2.0 in Mathematics and Overall CAP of 2.0 in Physics / Chemistry / Biology.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: Additional Mathematics at Junior High School Level and Physics / Chemistry / Biology / Science at Junior High School Level. Mathematics at Senior High Level is only applicable to applicants who have not read Additional Mathematics at Junior High School Level.
Students with outstanding Singapore GCE ‘A’ Level, International Baccalaureate (IB) and NUS High School Diploma results may be eligible for exemptions from the first-year Math course.
Students with outstanding Poly Diploma results may be eligible for exemptions from some of the first &/or second year courses.
Our Programme provide a complete education and create diverse opportunities to harness the talents of students and nurture graduates not limited by boundaries. It provides a holistic education that includes a strong grounding in maritime fundamentals, appreciation in arts, humanities, business and sciences, practical experience and soft skills.
Core Programme Requirement : 93 AU
General Education Requirement (GER)
- GER-Core : 17 AU
- Communication Skills
- Introduction to Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
- Enterprise & Innovation
- Professionals in Society
- Kickstart your Career Success
- GER-Prescribed Electives (GER-PE): 9 AU
Selection of courses from the following categories:
- Business & Management
- Liberal Arts
- Science, Technology & Society
Unrestricted Elective (UE) : 15 AU
- GER-Core : 17 AU
It is a 4 Years Direct Hon Degree Programme.
The maritime industry is poised to grow steadily over the years. The maritime industry offers good career prospects with commensurate salaries, job stability and job flexibility. Graduates are expected to fill key leadership roles in the maritime industry. Our fresh graduates are expected to be employed in a broad and diverse range of shore-based jobs. Our graduates have been in diverse exciting jobs in various sectors.
There are more than 40 minors available.
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies with Specialisation in International Trading
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies with Work Study Programme
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies with Second Major in Data Analytics
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies with Second Major in Business