Research in the Division of Physics and Applied Physics covers numerous exciting topics including quantum technology, nanotechnology, superconductivity, photonics, complex systems, and more. Our researchers regularly publish in top scientific journals, and we have been highly successful in attracting competitive research funding, contributing to establishment of state-of-the-art laboratory facilities and research centres in SPMS.
Click on the links below to learn more about our research accomplishments in different areas of physics.
Recent Research Highlights
Blending Superconductivity and Magnetism to Create New Quantum Particles
Physicists have created a material in which superconductivity and magnetism interact, which could be used in a new type of quantum computer.
18 Mar 2021
Weird Flex But Okay: Developing a Superior Piezoelectric Material
A new piezoelectric material can flex forty times more than its competitors, opening the way to better micro machines.
17 Feb 2021
Ultra-Fast Terahertz Chip for Wireless Communications
A chip based on photonic topological insulators may enable the next generation of ultra-fast wireless communications.
9 Sep 2020
The Ultimate Limits of Quantum Detection
The ultimate detection limits imposed by the laws of quantum physics have been derived, solving a decade-old open problem in quantum theory.
29 Jul 2020
Topological Insulators Light the Way to Photonic Applications
A new class of materials, chalcogenide topological insulators, has been found to be especially suitable for creating optical devices.
17 Apr 2020
The First Electrically-Driven Topological Laser
A new type of ‘topological’ laser routes light waves around corners, reducing the sensitivity to manufacturing defects.
13 Feb 2020
- Tiny Kinks in Light Make An Optical Ruler (9 Sep 2019)
- Theory of Light-induced Magnetism (31 Jul 2019)
- The Topological Hall Effect (7 May 2019)
- Quantum Device Views All Possible Futures (10 Apr 2019)
- Breakthrough in Ultrafast Spintronics (30 Jan 2019)
- 3D Topological Medium for Electromagnetic Waves (11 Jan 2019)
- Metamaterial Logic Gates (30 Nov 2018)
- Synthetic Quantum Materials (19 Nov 2018)
- Efficiency Record in Perovskite LEDs (19 Nov 2018)
- A Quantum Foucault Pendulum (17 Sep 2018)
- Internal Structure of Plasmons (9 Jun 2018)
- How Cockroaches Sense Magnetic Fields (15 May 2018)
- Magnetic Skyrmions (2 Mar 2018)