Research in the Division of Physics and Applied Physics covers numerous exciting topics including quantum technology, nanotechnology, superconductivity, photonics, complex systems, and more. Our researchers regularly publish in top scientific journals, and we have been highly successful in attracting competitive research funding, contributing to establishment of state-of-the-art laboratory facilities and research centres in SPMS.
Click on the links below to learn more about our research accomplishments in different areas of physics.
Recent Research Highlights
Putting a New Spin on Digital Bits
Physicists at NTU SPMS have shown how information can be encoded robustly in perovskite nanocrystals, as a potential replacement for electronic memory.
11 July 2023
Seeing the Light of Superlattice Materials
In a breakthrough in exciton spectroscopy, moiré superlattice materials are shown to host exotic electronic states that can be controlled electrically.
12 May 2023
‘Donut Transitions’ Give A New Way For Atoms to Radiate
A new kind of quantum jump in atoms, called a toroidal transition, can lead to unexpected forms of light emission.
5 Jan 2023
Electron Liquids on the Cutting Edge
A team led by Nanyang Assistant Professor Bent Weber is studying one-dimensional electron fluids that can be used to create robust quantum computers.
21 Oct 2022
Nanostructured Perovskites Add a Twist to Light
Using nanostructured perovskite materials, scientists have created optical devices with greatly enhanced ability to absorb or emit chiral light.
24 Jun 2022
Mimicking Biological Synapses with a Transistor
A newly-developed cobalt-based transistor functions like a synapse, performing elementary learning and forgetting tasks.
8 Jun 2022
- Disordered Solids Give Off Strange Vibes (11 Jan 2022)
- Electrons on the Edge (10 May 2021)
- Blending Superconductivity and Magnetism to Create New Quantum Particles (18 Mar 2021)
- Weird Flex But Okay (17 Feb 2021)
- Machine Learning for Quantum Physics (30 Oct 2020)
- An Ultra-Fast Terahertz Chip for 6G (9 Sep 2020)
- The Ultimate Limits of Quantum Detection (29 Jul 2020)
- A Four-Dimensional Electric Metamaterial (15 May 2020)
- Topological Insulators Light the Way (17 Apr 2020)
- The First Electrically-Driven Topological Laser (13 Feb 2020)
- Unique Features of 2D Liquids Discovered (20 Jan 2020)
- Tiny Kinks in Light Make An Optical Ruler (9 Sep 2019)
- Theory of Light-induced Magnetism (31 Jul 2019)
- The Topological Hall Effect (7 May 2019)
- Quantum Device Views All Possible Futures (10 Apr 2019)
- Breakthrough in Ultrafast Spintronics (30 Jan 2019)
- 3D Topological Medium for Electromagnetic Waves (11 Jan 2019)
- Metamaterial Logic Gates (30 Nov 2018)
- Synthetic Quantum Materials (19 Nov 2018)
- Efficiency Record in Perovskite LEDs (19 Nov 2018)
- A Quantum Foucault Pendulum (17 Sep 2018)
- Internal Structure of Plasmons (9 Jun 2018)
- How Cockroaches Sense Magnetic Fields (15 May 2018)
- Magnetic Skyrmions (2 Mar 2018)