Research in the Division of Physics and Applied Physics covers numerous exciting topics including quantum technology, nanotechnology, superconductivity, photonics, complex systems, and more. Our researchers regularly publish in top scientific journals, and we have been highly successful in attracting competitive research funding, contributing to establishment of state-of-the-art laboratory facilities and research centres in SPMS.
Click on the links below to learn more about our research accomplishments in different areas of physics.
Recent Research Highlights
Nanostructured Perovskites Add a Twist to Light
Using nanostructured perovskite materials, scientists have created optical devices with greatly enhanced ability to absorb or emit chiral light.
24 Jun 2022
Mimicking Biological Synapses with a Transistor
A newly-developed cobalt-based transistor functions like a synapse, performing elementary learning and forgetting tasks.
8 Jun 2022
Disordered Solids Give Off Strange Vibes
Using numerical simulations, two physicists have explained some long-standing anomalies in the behaviour of sound waves in disordered materials.
11 Jan 2022
Electrons on the Edge
Atomically thin quantum spin Hall insulators act as electrical insulators in their interior, but allow electrons to flow along their edges.
10 May 2021
Weird Flex But Okay
A new piezoelectric material can flex forty times more than its competitors, opening the way to better micro machines.
17 Feb 2021
Machine Learning for Quantum Physics
A new device concept, the Quantum Reservoir Processor, can tackle difficult problems in quantum physics.
30 Oct 2020
- The Ultimate Limits of Quantum Detection (29 Jul 2020)
- A Four-Dimensional Electric Metamaterial (15 May 2020)
- Topological Insulators Light the Way (17 Apr 2020)
- The First Electrically-Driven Topological Laser (13 Feb 2020)
- Unique Features of 2D Liquids Discovered (20 Jan 2020)
- Tiny Kinks in Light Make An Optical Ruler (9 Sep 2019)
- Theory of Light-induced Magnetism (31 Jul 2019)
- The Topological Hall Effect (7 May 2019)
- Quantum Device Views All Possible Futures (10 Apr 2019)
- Breakthrough in Ultrafast Spintronics (30 Jan 2019)
- 3D Topological Medium for Electromagnetic Waves (11 Jan 2019)
- Metamaterial Logic Gates (30 Nov 2018)
- Synthetic Quantum Materials (19 Nov 2018)
- Efficiency Record in Perovskite LEDs (19 Nov 2018)
- A Quantum Foucault Pendulum (17 Sep 2018)
- Internal Structure of Plasmons (9 Jun 2018)
- How Cockroaches Sense Magnetic Fields (15 May 2018)
- Magnetic Skyrmions (2 Mar 2018)