Research in the Division of Physics and Applied Physics covers numerous exciting topics including quantum technology, nanotechnology, superconductivity, photonics, complex systems, and more. Our researchers regularly publish in top scientific journals, and we have been highly successful in attracting competitive research funding, contributing to establishment of state-of-the-art laboratory facilities and research centres in SPMS.
Click on the links below to learn more about our research accomplishments in different areas of physics.
Recent Research Highlights
Measuring the Quantum Horizon
The research group of Professor Weibo Gao has performed the first experimental measurement of “quantum curvature” in a material, paving the way for novel quantum materials.
23 Oct 2023
Putting a New Spin on Digital Bits
Physicists at NTU SPMS have shown how information can be encoded robustly in perovskite nanocrystals, as a potential replacement for electronic memory.
11 July 2023
Electrons Through The Looking Glass
Physicists have developed new materials with unusual properties stemming from the intrinsic chirality or “handedness” of their electrons.
13 Apr 2023
‘Donut Transitions’ Give A New Way For Atoms to Radiate
A new kind of quantum jump in atoms, called a toroidal transition, can lead to unexpected forms of light emission.
5 Jan 2023
A New Topological Material: the 3D Chern Insulator
Researchers have realized a long-elusive phase of matter, the 3D Chern insulator, using a photonic metamaterial.
29 Sep 2022
Nanostructured Perovskites Add a Twist to Light
Using nanostructured perovskite materials, scientists have created optical devices with greatly enhanced ability to absorb or emit chiral light.
24 Jun 2022
- Mixing Light and Matter in 2D Materials (20 Apr 2022)
- Disordered Solids Give Off Strange Vibes (11 Jan 2022)
- Electrons on the Edge (10 May 2021)
- Blending Superconductivity and Magnetism to Create New Quantum Particles (18 Mar 2021)
- Weird Flex But Okay (17 Feb 2021)
- Machine Learning for Quantum Physics (30 Oct 2020)
- An Ultra-Fast Terahertz Chip for 6G (9 Sep 2020)
- The Ultimate Limits of Quantum Detection (29 Jul 2020)
- A Four-Dimensional Electric Metamaterial (15 May 2020)
- Topological Insulators Light the Way (17 Apr 2020)
- The First Electrically-Driven Topological Laser (13 Feb 2020)
- Unique Features of 2D Liquids Discovered (20 Jan 2020)
- Tiny Kinks in Light Make An Optical Ruler (9 Sep 2019)
- Theory of Light-induced Magnetism (31 Jul 2019)
- The Topological Hall Effect (7 May 2019)
- Quantum Device Views All Possible Futures (10 Apr 2019)
- Breakthrough in Ultrafast Spintronics (30 Jan 2019)
- 3D Topological Medium for Electromagnetic Waves (11 Jan 2019)
- Metamaterial Logic Gates (30 Nov 2018)
- Synthetic Quantum Materials (19 Nov 2018)
- Efficiency Record in Perovskite LEDs (19 Nov 2018)
- A Quantum Foucault Pendulum (17 Sep 2018)
- Internal Structure of Plasmons (9 Jun 2018)
- How Cockroaches Sense Magnetic Fields (15 May 2018)
- Magnetic Skyrmions (2 Mar 2018)