Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine and the Legacy of Giving
It is through the generosity of our donors that the Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine has been able to provide our students with the opportunity to pursue a quality medical education and training, and for our faculty to engage in transformative research with the potential to impact medicine and healthcare in Singapore and the rest of the world.
Our foremost benefactor is the Lee Foundation, one of the path breakers in philanthropy in Singapore. Believing in the mission of the School to produce the doctors of tomorrow, a landmark gift of $150 million was given to the School in January 2011 for student financial aid, and to further medical education and research.
In recognition, the School was named Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine, after the founder of the Lee Foundation, renowned business tycoon and philanthropist Tan Sri Dato Lee Kong Chian (1893 – 1967).
Other major benefactors to the School include the Toh Kian Chui Foundation and the Estate of Irene Tan Liang Kheng which made gifts of $20 million and $12 million in 2013 and 2018 respectively to further medical education and research. In 2019, to recognise outstanding achievement by our graduating students, three eminent Singapore medical luminaries made gifts to establish the Chee Yam Cheng Gold Medal in Professionalism, Ethics, Law, Leadership and Patient Safety (PELLS); the Chew Chin Hin Gold Medal in Clinical Medicine; and the Low Cheng Hock Gold Medal in Surgery.
How you can support us
- Established in 2018 by the pioneer graduating cohort, the Fund supports activities organised by LKCMedicine students, vital towards the continued vibrancy of student life, allowing them to bring to fruition new ideas and to expand existing programmes.
Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine Bursary Fund
- Gifts to the Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine Bursary Fund go towards supporting students in financial need.
LKCMedicine Mental Health Research Fund
- Gifts to the LKCMedicine Mental Health Research Fund support research to better understand the human brain to provide insights to human cognition and brain disorders.
LKCMedicine Diabetes Research Fund
- Gifts to the LKCMedicine Diabetes Research Fund support research in metabolic diseases and their impact on public health.
- Gifts to the LKCMedicine Advancement Fund allow the School to allocate resources to areas which are most needed.
Join our benefactors to build a legacy of giving here at Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine.
Forms of support can include:
- Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Student Scholarships
- Medals and Prizes
- Education and Research Initiatives
Some gifts have the privilege of a naming opportunity. In making the gift, the donor can also honour the name or memory of a family member, friend, mentor or corporation in a meaningful way. For every $1 contributed, donors are entitled to $2.50 in tax exemption and every dollar given will be matched one-for-one by the Singapore Government.
If you would like to explore giving to LKCMedicine, you can contact us at LKCMedGiving@ntu.edu.sg or +65 6592 3871.