​Q: Can I use calculators in the examinations?​
A: ​Calculators used in the final examinations must be approved by the School. You should check whether your calculator model is on the list of approved calculators (Please click the link here.)
​​Class Attendance
​Q: Do I have to attend classes?
A: ​Attendance at tutorial and laboratory sessions is compulsory. A student who has missed classes may have his/her marks seriously penalised. Note especially that he/she may be barred from taking the examinations if the school is not satisfied with his/her attendance at laboratory sessions and tutorials.
​​Class Notes and Solutions to Tutorial Problems
​Q: Will I receive class notes and solutions to tutorial problems?
A: ​Students are expected to take their own notes. In all cases, no lecturer will be obliged to provide lecture notes to students. If a lecturer gives lecture materials before or after lecture, it is a privilege granted to the students. No 'model solutions' will be given out for tutorial problems.
​Q: Are there tests or quizzes besides the examinations?
A: ​Yes. These may or may not be announced beforehand. Students are advised to be prepared for these tests which will be taken into account in their final grade for the courses concerned.
To safeguard their own interest, students should avoid using pencils for writing (with exception for drawings, etc.) in their assignments, tests and examination scripts.
​​Medical Certificate
​Q: How to apply for Medical Leave?
A: ​Students must apply for medical leave if they cannot attend classes on the following occasions:
  1. On days when there are laboratory sessions.
  2. On days when continuous assessment, quizzes or tests are conducted during classes.
  3. On any other occasions that tutor(s) or Lecturer(s) deemed as compulsory for students’ attendance.
  4. On any occasion during the attachment/internship, students must submit leave application or medical certificate via the online system under the attachment/internship module in the Studentlink.
All medical certificates must be submitted not later than 2 working days after the medical leave via the MC Submission e-Form. If students submit the medical certificate after the deadline, they will be given zero mark for any test or quiz that they were absent from. Kindly take note students do not need to submit the hardcopy version of the medical certificates to the Academic Office.

For medical leave taken during examination periods, please MC Submission online application via > Login using SSO 
Please click here and refer to the “Illness” section for more information on applying for medical leave during examination periods.
​Q: Who should I approach for help if I encounter difficulties in MSE?
  • If you need to make general enquiries, you may approach the staff in the General Office.
  • If you need clarifications on certain courses, you could consult the respective course lecturers or tutors.
  • If you encounter other course-related difficulties then you should seek advice from your Aademic Mentor or the Academic Office.
  • Professional counselling services (e.g. for anxiety, stress, situational problems, etc.) are available at the Student Wellbeing Centre.
​​Information Channels
​Q: Where can I obtain other course-related information?
A: ​Other relevant information can be found at the following locations:
  • Studentlink web page
  • MSE home page
  • All Public Folders/Common (Staff & student)/Schools/School of Materials/
  • The notice boards outside Lecture Theatres 3 and 4

Students may also receive information via the NTU e-mail system. It is thus the student's responsibility to check their mailboxes regularly for such messages.
​​Matriculation Number
​Q: Should anyone else know my Matriculation Number?
A: ​No. Your matriculation number is confidential and cannot be modified. Moreover, in all submissions of assignments, the student's matriculation number should not be used. Only names are required. Any further identification shall be in the form of the NRIC or passport number.
​​Password and Virus
​Q: Is my computer password transferable?
A: ​No, it is non-transferable. Everyone should use his/her own computer account as he/she is held responsible for any misconduct (e.g. any attempts to break into the computer system). Every student must also ensure that his/her storage device are virus-free before using them on any computers in the School.
​Q: Can I share the assignments with my friends?
A: ​Easy-going as it sounds, copying completed assignments (including computer programs) from another student is considered as cheating, which is strictly prohibited. Lecturers take a very serious stand on this matter. You may be expelled because of it.
​​Course Registration
​Q: Where can I obtain information regarding course registration?
A: The School has its own web page on course registration.
Students are strongly encouraged to read through all the information before every course registration exercise.
​Q: What are the textbooks that I need?
A: ​The library has a web page on the list of textbooks.
​​Certificate Letters
​Q: Where can I obtain a letter of certification to prove that I am a NTU student?
A: The University offers standard types of letters to certify enrolment, registration and graduation status for current students, non-graduating students, graduates and withdrawn students.
Please click here for more information on the procedure.
​Change of Second Major Programme
​Q: Is it possible for me to change my specialization for a Second Major Programme throughout my entire candidature?
A: No. Students are not allowed to apply for change of specialization for a Second Major Programme throughout their entire candidature.

However, students are allowed to drop their Second Major if they find out that they are unable to cope with the current study load. Students who are interested to drop their Second Major can approach the Academic Office for more information.

Note: Students who are not enrolled into NTU with a Second Major are unable to apply for a Second Major Programme throughout the entire candidature.
​​Resetting NTU network/email Password
​Q: How can I reset my NTU network/email password if I cannot remember it?
A: ​Please visit this website to reset your NTU network/email password:
​Overseas Entrepreneurship Programme (OEP)
​Q: What is OEP?
A: Overseas Entrepreneurship Programme (OEP) offers selected NTU undergraduates a rare opportunity to intern at vibrant start-up hotspots across the globe.

OEP is designed to be a 6-month or 1-year internship programme. Students are allowed to clear their internship credits using OEP, however, subject to OEP’s and the Faculty’s approval.

Students can visit the NTUitive OEP website for more information.
​​Course Exemption
​Q: Can I still apply for course exemption throughout my entire candidature?
A: ​No. Course exemption is only applicable to Freshmen admitted in that particular Academic year. The exercise will only be conducted in Semester 1.

Please click here for more information on course exemption.


You may also be interested in