Can Singapore unlock Africa’s green hydrogen potential?
The acquisition of ENEO by a British energy firm investing in Mauritania is a good startPublished on 15 Sep 2023
The state of African space industry
After India lands a craft on the moon could African space ambitions take flight?Published on 05 Sep 2023
Enterprise focus will be key to African 5G success
Chinese hardware to remain bedrock of African telecom infrastructurePublished on 28 Aug 2023
A case for sports as an engine for economic development and tool of diplomacyPublished on 24 Jul 2023
How far has AfCFTA come to meet its true potential?
An assessment of the most ambitious single market experimentPublished on 21 Jun 2023
Sub-Saharan Africa to post 4.2% growth in 2024
Senegal set to become one of the fastest growing economies in the worldPublished on 29 May 2023
Attracting Africa’s wealthiest and the risk that comes with it
Why Singapore could see a rise in the arrival of high-net worth individuals from the continentPublished on 20 Apr 2023
The growing pains of e-commerce business in Africa
High cost of logistics is making it difficult for online platforms to survivePublished on 28 Mar 2023
Japanese investor doubles down on the African healthcare market
Susumu Tsubaki, CEO of the Singapore-based Japanese investment firm AAIC explains why he is betting on healthcare start-ups in AfricaPublished on 23 Feb 2023
What is the AELP and why it matters?
The African Exchanges Linkage Project will allow investors to trade in African stocks on a single platform and in doing so make the African capital markets vibrant as never beforePublished on 19 Jan 2023
The outlook for FDI in Africa
Africa remains an attractive investment destination in the long run even if prospects in the short-run look dimPublished on 18 Dec 2022
The case for Ecological Reparations in Africa
Models of alternative development, circular economy or just transition are insufficient to address the damage caused by imperialismPublished on 14 Dec 2022
Three proposals that should have been adopted at COP27
The transition to net zero will need bold stepsPublished on 11 Nov 2022
Powering Africa for job creation
Why Africa needs to scale-up investments in the energy sectorPublished on 14 Oct 2022
Kenya steps on the highway to economic success
Evaluating the growth of transport, health, ICT, and housing sectorsPublished on 20 Sep 2022
Where is Africa in the cloud?
African data is stored on data centres outside the continent but that may be about to changePublished on 15 Sep 2022
Turbulence ahead for African Airlines
Despite the tumult, Africa remains an attractive aviation investment destinationPublished on 22 Aug 2022
African superfoods garnering international attention
As health awareness grows so does the demand for fonio, teff, and other traditional grainsPublished on 10 Aug 2022
Taking risks, addressing need, and diversifying business
How Tolaram broke new ground in NigeriaPublished on 15 Jul 2022
Understanding African urban economies
The role of cities in mobilising capital, labour, and land for growthPublished on 04 Jul 2022
The role of EXIM bank in promoting trade and investments in Africa
A case for Singapore to establish onePublished on 21 Jun 2022
The economic potential of African genomics
Making a case for the replication of the Singapore model in AfricaPublished on 10 May 2022
Development of smart ports in Africa
An opportunity for Singapore to step inPublished on 21 Apr 2022
Africa walks a tightrope
Economic implications of the Russian invasion of UkrainePublished on 23 Mar 2022
Africa wakes up to the potential of artificial intelligence
How Singapore can stake a claim and take advantage of untapped opportunitiesPublished on 15 Feb 2022
Africa’s renewable energy future
Lessons from Asia and opportunities in AfricaPublished on 10 Feb 2022
Wealth and want
How the unequal ownership of land perpetuates social stratification and threatens the future of South AfricaPublished on 06 Jan 2022
South Africa is trying to get rid of its coal addiction
Coal has a hold on the power sector, but for not much longerPublished on 27 Dec 2021
Egypt emerges as a top FDI destination
Time for investors to take fresh look at a market that lies at the cross-roads of international tradePublished on 06 Dec 2021
Financing economic growth
The banking sector and its contribution to microeconomic stability in KenyaPublished on 03 Dec 2021
Can FinTech meet the financing needs of African SMEs?
African SMEs find it difficult to get credit, but not for long.Published on 17 Nov 2021
The challenges and opportunities of bridging Africa’s digital divide
Africa is a fraction of the global ICT market but has much more room to grow.Published on 12 Nov 2021
The new economic imperatives of African railways
After decades of neglect railways is starting to get the attention it deserves.Published on 21 Oct 2021
Kenya emerges as a formidable financial centre of Africa
What makes Nairobi the most vibrant capital market in East Africa and how can foreign investors participate in it?Published on 18 Oct 2021
Africa uncovers the potential of its purple economy
The continent starts to tap on its cultural capital for jobs and growth.Published on 20 Sep 2021
Electric Vehicles: Africa’s battery minerals and GVC opportunities
African countries are not yet significant participants in the global value chain (GVC) of electric vehicles (EVs).Published on 13 Aug 2021
Africa’s water challenge
Despite its natural resource abundance, Africa is one of the driest continents on the planet, with nearly half its landmass considered dry and more than a third classified as hyper-arid or desert.Published on 28 Jul 2021
Can blockchain and cryptocurrencies facilitate African trade?
Lack of hard currency, fraud and high transaction costs have impeded the continent’s international trade. But now blockchain technology is helping African business overcome those barriers.Published on 16 Jul 2021
Will Africa benefit from another commodity supercycle?
The United Nations defines a ‘supercycle’ as a decades-long, above-trend movement in a wide range of base material prices generated by shifting demand.Published on 07 Jun 2021
Unlocking Africa’s capital markets
Capital market access is key to economic and industrial growth, making countries less dependent on donor aid and loans from foreign governments to finance investment and expenditure.Published on 07 Jun 2021
Electric vehicles: An ironic African opportunity?
Rising sales of fossil-fuel cars add to the air and noise pollution that now approaches dangerous levels in many of Africa’s overpopulated cities.Published on 14 Apr 2021
Does industrialisation matter to the well-being of Africans?
Industrialisation has re-appeared on the African development policy agenda.Published on 19 Mar 2021
Greening and Cleaning Africa's energy sources: Supporting the roll-out of Africa's energy infrastructure in the 21st century
The global COVID pandemic shows few signs of abating.Published on 16 Feb 2021
Read past issues here:
- Africa Current Issues - Special Economic Zones(SEZ): Will they unlock the AfCFTA potential? Rainer Michael Preiss. April 2021
- Africa Current Issues - Africa Private Equity: Impact of Covid-19 on Fundraising, valuations and exits. Rainer Michael Preiss. February 2021
- Africa Current Issues - Made in Africa: Can Africa become a global production hub? Ronak Gopaldas. January 2021.
- Africa Current Issues - Could better storage infrastructure transform Africa’s agriculture? Francis Mulangu. January 2021.
- Africa Current Issues - AfCFTA: A strategic framework for business. Rafiq Raji. December 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Africa’s Blue Economy: Unlocking a new wave of prosperity? Ronak Gopaldas. December 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - E-commerce: Avenues for opportunities in Africa. Asmita Parshotam. November 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Independent Power Producers: A solution for Africa? Rainer Michael Preiss. November 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Africa’s Supermarket Revolution — Coming to a premature end or undergoing consolidation? Francis Mulangu. October 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Africa’s tourism industry: Survival of the fittest. Ronak Gopaldas. October 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Shifting Global Demographics: An African Opportunity? Rafiq Raji. September 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Urban Food Systems: Making African cities more resilient to food insecurity during a global health crisis. Mina Baliamoune. September 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Industrial Policy for Upgrading Africa’s Growing Horticultural Industry. Francis Mulangu. August 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Remittances in Africa: A Port in the Storm? Ronak Gopaldas. August 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Developing a Medical Sector in Africa: Taking Africa into the 21st Century. Asmita Parshotam. July 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Will Africa’s SMEs Deliver its Post-COVID-19 Recovery? Rainer Michael Preiss. July 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Are African Numbers still Poor? Rafiq Raji. July 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Does Africa's Growing Informal Sector Threaten Economic Growth and Doing Business? Francis Mulangu. June 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Impact of the Forthcoming European Recession on African Exports. Rainer Michael Preiss. June 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - China’s Post-Corona Future in Africa. Ronak Gopaldas. May 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Mitigating the Impact of COVID-19 for Africa’s Women Traders: What more can we do? Asmita Parshotam. May 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Digital Financial Inclusion in Africa: An Analytical Assessment of Kenya & Nigeria. Rafiq Raji. May 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Is Africa’s Growing Public Debt Really Crowding out Private Investment? Francis Mulangu. April 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - COVID-19 in Africa: Outcomes and Scenarios. Ronak Gopaldas. April 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Oil Wars: Africa Caught in the Crossfire. Ronak Gopaldas. April 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Online Disinformation and the African Firm. Rafiq Raji. March 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Cannabis in Africa: Higher Growth Path or Pipe Dream? Ronak Gopaldas. March 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - China’s Investments in Africa – The Changing Landscape. Mina Baliamoune. March 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Index Insurance for Agriculture in Africa: Emergent Direction or Dead End? Francis Mulangu. February 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - The CFA Franc: A Currency by Any Other Name? Ronak Gopaldas. February 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Morocco’s Shifting Identity – Africa’s New Kid on the Block is Making Waves. Ronak Gopaldas. January 2020.
- Africa Current Issues - Can South Africa / Nigeria Relations be Recalibrated? Ronak Gopaldas. December 2019.
- Africa Current Issues - Africa’s Chronic Power Problems: West Africa Power Pool could be a Game-changer. Francis Mulangu. December 2019.
- Africa Current Issues - The Curious Case of Africa’s Indian Ocean Islands. Ronak Gopaldas. November 2019.
- Africa Current Issues - Cocoa-processing Revolution, or Unintended Consequences? - A Tale of a Cocoa Cartel. Francis Mulangu. October 2019.
- Africa Current Issues - Following the Money: Identifying the Evolving Nature of FDI Trends in Africa. Ronak Gopaldas. September 2019.
- Africa Current Issues - Climate Change and Conflict in West Africa. Rafiq Raji. August 2019.
- Africa Current Issues - After the CFTA: Could African States Seize the Opportunities of the Singapore Convention on Mediation? Bernadette Iyodu and Joel Ng. August 2019.
- Africa Current Issues - The Gulf’s Growing Role in Africa. Ronak Gopaldas. July 2019.
- Africa Current Issues - The Future of the Internet, Mobile Phones and Jobs in Africa. Rafiq Raji. July 2019.
- Africa Current Issues - Africa's New Electoral Playbook. Ronak Gopaldas. July 2019.
- Africa Current Issues - African SEZs & GVCs in the Age of Automation. Rafiq Raji. June 2019.