MiniMastersTM in Business and Financial Analytics equips participants to excel in the domain of business analytics and analytics used in the financial services industry.
Participants will learn skills necessary to guide businesses through today’s environment of digital disruption and transformation.
MiniMastersTM in Business and Financial Analytics is offered at Nanyang Business School as part of the MiniMastersTM series launched by Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU Singapore).
- Provide learners with better access to Postgraduate level training so that they can upskill/reskill with a personalised learning pathway.
- Enable adult learners to build on their experience, transit and prepare for career shifts and become future-ready amidst fast-changing employment market.
- Credits earned can be stacked towards postgraduate degrees at NBS.
1. NBS MinimastersTM comprises four advanced business courses totaling 15 Academic Units (AUs)
- Three 4-AUs courses, and
- One 3-AUs course
2. Each course comprises:
- An online, self-paced component: 9 hours (for 3-AUs course) or 22 hours equivalent (for 4-AUs course), and
- A 30-hour in-class instruction component: 4 classes taught over weekends, blended delivery of in-person or online classes (with considerations for COVID-19 restrictions).
- MiniMastersTM will only be awarded to students attaining 15AUs with each course of minimum GPA 2.5 and above.
- Students attaining 9AUs with each course of minimum GPA 2.5 and above will be eligible for Graduate Certificate.
- A course can only be counted towards the award of one Graduate Certificate and one MiniMasters™ Programme as a credit-bearing course. This means that a course that has been counted towards the AU requirements for the award of a Graduate Certificate can be further counted towards its adjoining MiniMasters™. However, this course cannot be reused to fulfil the AU requirements for the award of a different Graduate Certificate or a MiniMasters™.
- While no pre-requisites are needed to enrol in the programme, participants with background and/or experience in one or more of the listed programme courses will better appreciate the course contents.
Classes are fully enrolled due to overwhelming response. Dates for new intakes will be published in Q3. Meanwhile, please register your interest so that we can update you when applications are opened for new intakes.
|Design Thinking, Blockchain Technology Management and Cybersecurity||-|
|AI and Analytics in Finance, Credit and Related Risks||-|
|Data Management and Visualization||-|
|AI and Analytics Technologies in Enterprise||-|
Venue: Suntec City
- The course duration is 24 weeks, with 4 classes per module. Classes are conducted on weekends.
- The programme has been designed for a blend of in-person and online classes.
- Mandatory attendance is required for programme info session. (Details will be provided upon successful admittance into the programme.)
* Nanyang Executive Education reserves the right to change the date, venue and mode of delivery due to unforeseen circumstances or prevailing government advisory.
AI and Analytics Technologies in Enterprise
Analytics, machine learning and AI are critical building blocks in value creation for any organization or industry yet managing them is a complex endeavor. This presents huge opportunities to harness the power of analytics and machine
learning, to explore and exploit business problem and turn it into solution.
This course introduces the concept of analytics with machine learning and how can business embed and embrace them in its operation. Participants will learn about the current state of the art of machine learning development and learn to start creating an Artificial Intelligence prototype and appreciate how the artificial “intelligence” is derived from human intelligence.
1. Understand the basic of analytics and machine learning and how they are relevant to business.
2. Understand the elements of machine learning and the steps in developing machine learning capability.
3. Construct machine learning solution for a given problem.
4. Manage the use of analytics and machine learning to support business decision.
AI and Analytics in Finance, Credit and Related Risks
Coding expands students’ digital literacy horizon. Analytical thinking puts together critical thinking and reasoning skill. AI will allow participants to create state-of-the-art predictive and prescriptive technology which will eventually
automate the process of Accounting and Finance. Increasingly, employers today mandate employees to be equipped with these skillsets to help to resolve organizations’ issues, automate business and accounting processes, data crunching,
report generation and giving financial advice.
Similarly, credit-related risk is an essential area of business and finance, which leverages on the application of machine learning and data mining tools to large customer databases. This course provides fundamental tools for credit risk modeling and evaluation by data analytic techniques.
1. Write code to solve Accounting and Finance problems programmatically by creating AI models using R, Python, Keras, Hadoop, Spark and API.
2. Manage data to sufficiently derive, communicate analytics outcome and eventually create AI model in Accounting and Finance.
3. Implement a simple system in AWS including engineering work in implementing AI model in Accounting and Finance.
4. Equip with data modeling skills for risky events.
5. Gain an in-depth understanding of credit risk modeling concepts.
6. Introduction to relevant data mining techniques.
7.Learn to use analytics tools for credit risk and credit scoring applications.
Data Management and Visualization
Data has become integral to businesses and organizations. This course is built to bridge the gap between market talent demand and talent availability specific to business data management and business visualization. The course serves dual roles of presenting the importance of data on business decision making and of demonstrating ways that visualization can effectively augment business decisions.
1. Equip with skills in solving data-related problems and designing visualization to augment business decision making.
2. Equip with a strong conceptual and technical knowledge in database designing and implementation and developing visualization relevant to business.
3. Understand how database support business processes and gather information for business analytics.
4. Apply knowledge and skills to analyze a variety of business process, identify data requirements, and create corresponding visualization strategies.
Design Thinking, Blockchain Technology Management and Cybersecurity
Design thinking has become increasingly popular in the world of business, with small & medium to large firms like P&G and SAP using and advocating the Design Thinking approach. Design thinking, emphasizing Human-Centered Design and empathy driven solutions, has been promoted widely by design firms like IDEO and Stanford University’s D School. It has now become a must-know tool for companies who are keen to grow and flourish through continuous innovation. The course will introduce participants to the key principles of design thinking, utilizing relevant case studies.
It is also crucial for participants to appreciate the core technical aspects of blockchain, especially when it promises to disrupt the current business landscape through consensus-driven decentralization of the traditional computing fabric. Concepts of blockchain will be discussed, examining the blockchain using cases and challenges related to its implementation.
With the proliferation of information and communication technology products and services, it is of paramount importance for everyone to understand the role of security and privacy in practice. Financial technology, data analytics and digital transformation of businesses have immensely amplified the value of data, thereby demanding the appreciation of cybersecurity threats and privacy issues, in every sphere of business.
1. Understand the key innovation skills necessary for leading firms.
2. Apply fundamental concepts and principles of design thinking to the analytics domain.
3. Identify business opportunities in the AI and analytics domain.
4. Generate business models to commercialize business opportunities in the AI and analytics domain.
5. Understand challenges associated with commercializing AI technologies.
6. Introduction to the evolving blockchain ecosystem.
7. Understand the underlying technological elements and workings of blockchain, use cases of blockchain, and challenges with using blockchain.
8. Understand the possible use-cases of blockchain.
9. Acquaint with the cybersecurity risks in the business sphere.
10. Understand the security and privacy mechanisms that can protect invaluable data in storage, transit, access and usage.
For more information, download the programme brochure here.
MiniMastersTM in Business and Financial Analytics can be stacked into MSc (Business Analytics) and similarly accredited under the following conditions:
- Up to 12 AUs of MinimastersTM can be transferred to MSc (Business Analytics) (4 courses equivalent). The 4 courses are as follows: AI and Analytics Technologies in Enterprise, AI and Analytics in Finance, Credit and Related Risks, Data Management and Visualization, Design Thinking, Blockchain Technology Management and Cybersecurity.
- The academic units earned from MiniMastersTM are valid for five (5) years for transfer of credits to a relevant/adjoining Master’s by Coursework programme.
- Transfer of credits is by application and the application will be assessed and approved by the Programme Owners.
- The minimum Grade Point eligible for transfer of credits is 2.5. The Programme Owners may recommend a higher Grade Point for transfer of credits.
- Academic units from Graduate Certificate or MiniMastersTM programme that are approved for transfer of credits will however not be included in the computation of CGPA for the Master’s by Coursework programme.
- The course must not have been used for exemption/transfer of credits into another programme.
Admission to Full NBS Master’s Programme
Participants who wish to progress to a Master’s Programme upon attaining a Graduate Certificate or a MiniMastersTM must submit a separate application for admission and the criteria for admission to the Master’s Programme would apply.
|Course Fees in SGD|
|Fees BEFORE funding & GST||Fees AFTER funding & GST|
|Singapore Citizens (aged 21-39) / PR (aged ≥21)|
|Singapore Citizens (aged ≥40)|
MCES1 - up to 90%
|SME-sponsored Singapore Citizens / PR|
ETSS2 - up to 90%
|NTU Class of 2020/2021+|
Fee payable to NBS after 70% SSG Funding and use of $3,200 Alumni Credits** and NTU Class of 2020/2021 COVID-19 support package
1. Under the SkillsFuture Mid-career Enhanced Subsidy (MCES) scheme. For more information, visit the SkillsFuture website here.
2. Under the Enhanced Training Support for Small & Medium Enterprises (ETSS) scheme. For more information, click here.
Singapore Citizens, aged 25 and above, and self-sponsored, may use their SkillsFuture Credit to defray part of the net course fee. Participants can submit their SkillsFuture Credit claims by logging into MySkillsFuture.sg. Please click here for “How do I submit a claim for SkillsFuture credit?” and other FAQs.
- Participant must achieve a minimum of 75% attendance for each module.
- Participant must complete and pass all assessment components.
Participants will be invoiced the net amount after funding and GST.
**NTU Alumni Course Credits
From 1 July 2019, all NTU/NIE alumni may utilise their alumni credits of $1,600 to co-pay up to 50% of the nett fee (exclusive of prevailing GST) payable for courses offered by NTU-Continuing Education Training (CET) Units. It is participant’s responsibility to inform if you wish to utilize alumni credits before the start of the programme. For more info, please click here.
+NTU Class of 2020/2021
- Full fee waiver is only applicable for Singaporeans and PR (full-time undergraduate students).
- Cash payment may be due if participant has used up any free CET course or Alumni course credits prior to enrolling in MiniMastersTM.
- There will be no refund of $3,200 Alumni course credits if participants withdraw from the programme after successful admission.
1. What is the course schedule and duration of the MiniMasters™ programme?
Please look under ‘Course Schedule & Venue’ for the run dates of the classes.
2. Will I be able to pursue more than 1 MiniMasters™ programme?
There are no restrictions but it’s advisable to take up 1 MiniMasters™ at a time as the schedule might overlap. Eventually, all of the applications will be reviewed by the Selection Committee.
3. I’m only interested in one of the modules in one of the MiniMasters™ Programme. Will I be able to pursue that module?
MiniMasters™ is a bundled programme. When you apply for a MiniMasters™ programme, it will be considered that you’re applying for all the modules.
4. How will the credits earned from the MiniMasters™ contribute to a NBS Master’s programme?
MiniMasters™ is a stackable programme where credits earned are eligible for credit transfer to a NBS Master’s programme. However, participants are required to meet the admission standards of their selected NBS Master’s programme. For more information about the NBS Master’s Programme, you may visit this link: https://www.ntu.edu.sg/business/admissions/graduate-studies
5. What is the course assessment like?
Course assessment will differ from module to module. This will be determined by the respective teaching faculty. Assessment components will be shared upon successful admittance to the programme. Some of the assessment components may consist of Individual coursework, Group coursework, Quizzes and Class Participation.
6. When will the course outlines be made available?
Course outlines will be shared upon successful admittance to the MiniMasters™ programme.
7. Will the cost of a MiniMasters™ course be fully waived for students who graduated from the NTU full-time undergraduate class of 2020/2021?
Course fees are fully waived for students who graduated from the NTU full-time undergraduate class of 2020 & 2021 (subject to participants meeting SSG's funding criteria and $3,200 NTU Alumni Course Credits). For NTU Class 2020 & 2021, they will be eligible for MiniMasters™ full funding till June 2022. Terms and conditions will apply for full funding.
8. Will the cost of a MiniMasters™ course be fully waived for International students who graduated from the NTU full-time undergraduate class of 2020/2021?
As SSG Funding is only applicable to Singaporeans & PR, International students will need to bear 70% of the cost fees. However, they will still be eligible for the $3,200 NTU Alumni Course Credits & Covid 19 Support Package.
9. Can I still use my Alumni Credit? When does my Alumni Credit Expire? Can I check the balance of my Alumni Credit?
Kindly email to PACE regarding queries of your Alumni Credit: PaCE-Marketing@ntu.edu.sg
10. Can I get a rough idea of the difficulty level?
These are advanced graduate Business courses embedded with academic rigour necessary for the academic units in the programme. Due diligence is required to pass the modules in the programme.
11. If I do not pass the course or any of its components, would the funding still hold? Or would it be revoked?
In the event you do not pass a course, you will not be eligible for funding. Hence, you will have to pay for any outstanding fees thereafter.
12. Will there be more details available on the course curriculum, such as the types of software being used and the specific topics covered in each module?
Once you have successfully enrolled into the programme, more information will be given to you regarding the modules.
- Nanyang Executive Education reserves the right to change the date, venue and mode of delivery due to unforeseen circumstances or prevailing government advisory.
- There will be no make-up classes for absentees.
- Participants who wish to progress to a Master’s Programme upon attaining a Graduate Certificate or a MiniMastersTM must submit a separate application for admission and the criteria for admission to the Master’s Programme would apply.
You may also be interested in:
Public Programmes for Professionals
Upskill and keep up with the latest in business, innovation management, strategic thinking and agile leadership so they can develop a competitive edge.