Dean’s Distinguished Speaker Series – NBS alumnus Nicole Tan, President & CEO, Shiseido Asia Pacific
Nanyang Business School (NBS) welcomed Ms Nicole Tan, President & CEO, Shiseido Asia Pacific, as Dean’s Distinguished Speaker to give a talk on “Rising to the Challenge: Strategic Leadership at a Beauty Giant in Turbulent Times” on 30 September 2021. Ms Nicole is Shiseido’s first female and first Singaporean regional CEO. She is also an alumna of NBS (Bachelor of Business – Marketing specialisation). Ms Nicole shared her insights into the dynamics of the global beauty industry and leadership success factors in this time of change. The talk was organised as a hybrid event which was attended by more than 500 faculty, students, alumni, and staff.
Dean’s Distinguished Speaker Series - Mr François-Henry Bennahmias, CEO of Audemars Piguet
Nanyang Business School (NBS) welcomed Mr François-Henry Bennahmias, CEO of Audemars Piguet, as Dean’s Distinguished Speaker to give a talk on “Fostering Human Talents to Create the Extraordinary” on 8 October 2019. Mr Bennahmias, a strong advocate for education, shared his leadership experiences and invaluable advice with more than 80 NBS students, alumni, faculty and staff.
High Profile Speaker Series – Mr Kishore Parthasathy, Head of Marketing Science for South East Asia at Facebook
NBS Marketing Division spearheaded the “High Profile Speaker Series” – bringing high profile industry speakers to NBS – in order to strengthen school-industry linkages and raise NBS’ profile amongst key industry sectors.
The first speaker of the series was Mr Kishore Parthasathy, who is Head of Marketing Science for South East Asia at Facebook. Over 60 NBS faculty, staff and students attended his talk on 31 October 2019.
- Asst Prof Charlene Chen was the moderator for the Career Roundtable with Mintel,” Building a Career in the Market Research Industry” held on 31 Aug 2022. This is a hybrid event, in collaboration with NBS Career Services Office (CSO).
- Prof Gemma Calvert was invited to be a speaker in “Tik Tok #ForYou Summit: SEA” held on 19 April 2022. http://www.foryousummit-sea.com/#home
- Jointly organised by the NBS Alumni Office and NBS Marketing Division, Asst Prof Charlene Chen was the moderator for the NBS Alumni Leaders Dialogue, “The Future Role of Marketing: What you must know” held on 18 March 2022. The panel discussed on critical issues concerning the future role of marketing and how firms should engage in strategic thinking to tackle disruptions in the new-normal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Mv-JWmoN4
(From left) Asst Prof Charlene Chen with Mr Kenneth Choo, Ms Foo Siew Ting, and Mr Stanley Toh during the dialogue
- Assoc Prof Hooi Den Huan chaired the AMF ASEAN Caucus panel session during the 7th ASEAN Marketing Summit – “Post Normal ASEAN: The Rise of Entrepreneurial Marketing” hosted by Markplus, Inc. and Philip Kotler Center for ASEAN Marketing and the Asia Marketing Federation in November 2021.
- Prof Gemma Calvert, Asst Prof Mansur Khamitov and Asst Prof Irene Huang presented a webinar on "Wooing the Post-Covid Customer" hosted by Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce & Industry in June 2020.
- Asst Prof Charlene Chen, Assoc Prof Elison Lim, Assoc Prof Lewis Lim and Dr Lynda Wee shared their perspectives on business strategies for retailers beyond Covid-19 at a webinar organised by the Singapore Retailers Association in May 2020.
- Prof Gemma Calvert gave a keynote address at Indonesia’s first Neuromarketing conference “NEUROSUMMIT 2020” in February 2020.
- Dr Wong King Yin was invited to be a speaker in "Applied Learning Conference 2020" held in January 2020.
- Prof Gemma Calvert was filmed and interviewed for the global Science & Vie documentary, Man 2.0 (December, 2019). This is a documentary series of six episodes entitled Man 2.0 that examines scenarios concerning how mankind and human society are evolving, follows the latest innovations in technology, genetics, informatics, and interviews some of the most prominent academic personalities from different scientific fields in Europe, Asia and America. To view: https://filmfreeway.com/MAN2dot0R-EVOLUTION521
- Prof Gemma Calvert explained the psychology of impulse buying in an interview with 2ser.com in December 2019. https://2ser.com/sale-sale-sale-the-psychology-of-impulse-buying/
- Asst Prof Charlene Chen was invited to give a talk on “The Rise of Millennial Consumers: Decoding the ‘Me Me Me’ Generation” to members of the Hong Kong Singapore Business Association and the Columbia University Club of Singapore in November 2019.
- Assoc Prof Lewis Lim, Asst Prof Charlene Chen and Dr Wong King Yin were invited to share the implications of changing expectations of healthcare consumers and the future of healthcare with senior management of the Raffles Medical Group in September 2019.
- Prof Gemma Calvert was speaker at the IAB (Interactive Advertising Bureau) Workshop on Creativity, Culture & Commerce held in September 2019.
- Asst Prof Mansur Khamitov was a panelist in the Mumbrella Finance Marketing Summit held in August 2019.
- Assoc Prof Lewis Lim moderated a panel discussion on “Aligning Pricing, Sales and Marketing to Achieve Commercial Excellence Synergies” at the 5th Asia Pricing & Revenue Management Summit in August 2019.
- Assoc Prof Lewis Lim, Prof Boh Wai Fong, Assoc Prof Hooi Den Huan and Dr Boey Yew Tung shared their expertise and insights on digitalisation and branding to more than 60 Singapore Food Manufacturing Association members and NBS alumni at the Digitalisation for the Food Manufacturing Industry workshop in May 2019.
- Assoc Prof Hooi Den Huan spoke about Branding in Times of Rapid Changes during the inaugural Lunch & Learn organised by Singapore Prestige Brand Awards in April 2019.
- Xie Fengshu and Gemma Calvert, (April, 2022). “Making scents with sight: Perfume marketing in the age of the face mask”. WARC Exclusive.
- Zhu Junming and Gemma Calvert, (April, 2022). “Luxury fashion marketing: Tapping into Gen Z’s senses and psychology”. WARC Exclusive.
- Rym Tazi, Gemma Calvert and Abhishek Pathak. (January, 2022). “Sparkling or still: It depends on the brand name”. WARC Exclusive.
- Sharon Ng and Lim Boon Chong. (October 2021). “Managing Global and Local Brands in a World of Uncertainty”. WARC by Ascential.
- Lim Boon Chong and Jeremy Sim. (February, 2021). “Alternative proteins: Nudging consumers toward adoption in the food-tech revolution”. WARC by Ascential.
- Monin Techawachirakul and Gemma Calvert. (September, 2020). “The plot thickens: How brands can integrate into in-game environments and build relationships”. WARC Exclusive.
- Wong King Yin. (September, 2020). “Virtual reality marketing and its potential to gain consumer trust”. WARC by Ascential.
- Win Ee Chun and Gemma Calvert. (July, 2020). “The psychology illuminating post pandemic behavior”. WARC Exclusive.
- Gemma Calvert, Win Ee Chun and Eamon Fulcher. (June, 2020). “Re-evaluating iconic brand assets in a post-pandemic world”. WARC Exclusive.
- Mehak Bharti and Sharon Ng. (June, 2020). “Asians can't resist deals - and the physiological evidence proves it”. WARC.
- Lewis Lim and Charlene Chen. (May, 2020). “Reframing lifestyle marketing for three post-pandemic ‘new normal’ scenarios”. WARC COVID-19 Series.
- Abhishek Pathak and Gemma Calvert. (Aug 2017). “Luxury brands and linguistics. What does luxury sound like?”. WARC Exclusive.
- Elison Lim. (2016). “All Eyes on Asia’s Halal Beauty Market: What Brands Need to Know”. Published on WARC.com.
- Gemma Calvert and Abhishek Pathak. (Feb 2015). “Marketing to the senses: Opportunities in multisensory marketing”. WARC Exclusive.
- Gemma Calvert. (September, 2015). “Neuromarketing Introduction to Implicit”. WARC Webinar.
- Gemma Calvert. (September, 2014). “Neurotrends, Adoption and Cases”. WARC Webinar.
- Haiyang Yang and Kuangjie Zhang. (October 2021). “The Psychology Behind Why We Love (or Hate) Horror”. Harvard Business Review. https://hbr.org/2021/10/the-psychology-behind-why-we-love-or-hate-horror
- Sadat Reza, Dixon Ho, Rich Ling, Shi Hongyan and Gemma Calvert. (January, 2021). “Don’t Count on Free Trials to Win You Customers”. Harvard Business Review. https://hbr.org/2021/01/dont-count-on-free-trials-to-win-you-customers
- Thomas Allard and Mansur Khamitov. (October, 2020). “The Surprising Upside of Expensive Products That Don’t Sell”. Harvard Business Review. https://hbr.org/2020/10/the-surprising-upside-of-expensive-products-that-dont-sell
- David J. Hardisty, Thomas Allard and Dale Griffin. (May, 2020), “Upgrade Your Pricing Strategy to Match Consumer Behavior”. Harvard Business Review. https://hbr.org/2020/05/upgrade-your-pricing-strategy-to-match-consumer-behavior
- Lea H. Dunn, Thomas Allard and Katherine White. (May, 2020). “Making the Best of Bad Review”. Harvard Business Review. https://hbr.org/2020/05/making-the-best-of-bad-reviews
- Xun (Irene) Huang. (November, 2016). “Feelings of Nostalgia can Make Us More Patient”. Harvard Business Review. https://hbr.org/2016/11/feelings-of-nostalgia-can-make-us-more-patient
- Andy J. Yap, Lewis Lim and Charlene Chen. (July, 2020). “How Luxury is Reinventing Itself”. INSEAD Knowledge. https://knowledge.insead.edu/blog/insead-blog/how-luxury-is-reinventing-itself-14681
- Andy J. Yap, and Charlene Chen. (March, 2020). “The Psychology Behind Coronavirus Panic Buying”. INSEAD Knowledge. https://knowledge.insead.edu/economics-finance/the-psychology-behind-coronavirus-panic-buying-13451
- Andy J. Yap, and Charlene Chen. (April, 2017). “Consumers Who Lack Control Seek Functional Products”. INSEAD Knowledge. https://knowledge.insead.edu/marketing/consumers-who-lack-control-seek-functional-products-5766
- Lim, Boon Chong and Boey, Yew Tung. (November 2022). “4 ways to enhance content marketing – Tips from consumer research”. Association of Small & Medium Enterprises. https://www.asme.org.sg/article/newsroom/225/4%20Ways%20to%20enhance%20content%20marketing
- Lim, Boon Chong and Boey, Yew Tung. (August 2021). “5 must-haves for SMEs to leverage social media”. Association of Small & Medium Enterprises. https://asme.org.sg/article/newsroom/132/5%20must-haves%20for%20SMEs%20to%20leverage%20social%20media
- Sharon Ng and Lim Boon Chong. (November, 2022). “Commentary: Will more follow Patagonia’s bold lead and donate their companies to the Earth?”. Channel News Asia. https://www.channelnewsasia.com/commentary/patagonia-give-away-climate-non-profit-action-crisis-3035266
- Sharon Ng. (November, 2022). “Brand Love”, Money FM.
- Lim Boon Chong. (September 2022). “Pre-launch marketing is a tease that works, how to get it right?”. e27.co. https://e27.co/pre-launch-marketing-is-a-tease-that-works-how-to-get-it-right-20220916/
- Sharon Ng and Lim Boon Chong. (October, 2021). “Commentary: Why we feel a rush when we ‘Add to Cart’ and what we can do about it”. Channel News Asia. https://www.channelnewsasia.com/commentary/retail-therapy-online-shopping-environment-2229966
- Sharon Ng. (September, 2021). Interview by Jaime Ho “The Climate Conversations - S2: The green consumer paradox: Can we walk the talk on sustainability? | EP 48”. Channel News Asia. https://www.channelnewsasia.com/listen/climate-conversations/green-consumer-paradox-can-we-walk-talk-sustainability-ep-48-2168541
- Elison Lim. (June, 2021). “Fast fashion brands like Forever 21 and H&M have inspired China’s latest monster trend – fast beauty brands turning out new products in record time”. Insider. https://www.insider.com/chinas-fast-beauty-stars-are-changing-the-game-2021-4
- Sharon Ng. (October, 2020). “Is customer service bad in Singapore”. CNA938.
- Charlene Chen and Andy J. Yap. (February, 2020). “Rush on stores – panic buying or exerting control?”. The Business Times. https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/opinion/rush-on-stores-panic-buying-or-exerting-control
- Gemma Calvert. (August, 2019). “How Technology Influences Consumer Behavior and Psychology by Gemma Calvert”. Talking Point, Mediacorp Channel 5.
- Mansur Khamitov. (June 2019). “Should One Invest in Brand Loyalty to Drive Customer Loyalty?”. Marketing in Asia.
- Mansur Khamitov. (April, 2019). “More Accurate Ways to Nurture Brand Loyalty”, Money FM.
- Mansur Khamitov . (March, 2019). “Is Cash Really King?” The Business Times.
- Mansur Khamitov. (March, 2019). “Industry heroes: Alan George Lafley of Procter & Gamble – one of the ‘most lauded CEOs in history’”. Mumbrella.
- Wong, King Yin. (February, 2019). “Will plans to rejuvenate Orchard Road work?”. TODAY Commentary. https://www.todayonline.com/commentary/will-plans-rejuvenate-orchard-road-work
- Sharon Ng. (November 2018). “Who on Earth still buys Counterfeit Branded Goods?” Channel News Asia.
- Gemma Calvert. (September 2018) “Cracking the Code: Secrets of Neuromarketing Revealed”. Money FM.
- Thomas Allard. (February, 2018). “Acing Consumer Behaviour: It’s not about How Much It Costs but How Well It Fits”. Transfin.
- Elison Lim. (December, 2017). “Halal Beauty Market: Primed for Change?”. The Jakarta Post. http://www.thejakartapost.com/academia/2017/12/15/halal-beauty-market-primed-for-change.html
- Elison Lim. (July, 2017). “Hark the Customer’s Digital Voice”. The Business Times. http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/opinion/hark-the-customers-digital-voice
- Charlene Chen. (October, 2016). “Insta-gratification: Cafes seek success in a Snap”. Channel News Asia.
- Charlene Chen. (June, 2016). “Is the happiness you seek the same as mine? Marketing & happiness across different cultures”. INSIGHT+.