The programme focuses on shipping business and management. Besides courses such as Marine Insurance, Shipping and the Environment, Shipping Economics, Maritime Law, Maritime Technology and Shipping Logistics, students in this programme will be equipped with competency in international commodity trading.
The Maritime Studies programme focuses primarily on shipping business and management. The programme structure is designed to equip our graduates to excel as professionals in shipping and maritime related sectors (refer to some of the exciting careers of past Maritime Studies graduates). The programme structure is flexible and broad-based. The curriculum also includes Professional Internship to fully prepare students for their professional careers upon graduation.
The specialisation in International Trading is also offered as part of the Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree in Maritime Studies, and Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree with Second Major in Business. This specialisation provides graduates with enhanced career opportunities in global commodity trading.
In addition to the Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree in Maritime Studies, students can choose to enrol in Maritime Studies with Second Major in Business, which is jointly offered by the School of Civil & Environmental Engineering and Nanyang Business School. This programme equips students with additional proficiencies in general business management. Students can also opt for the newly launched Maritime Studies with Second Major in Data Analytics. (Note that for Second Major programmes, applicants need to choose the specific degree with the Second Major in their applications.)
Students can also choose to participate in the Work-Study Degree Programme, which integrates institution-based learning with structured On-the-Job-Training in partner companies. The programme aims to enhance students’ readiness for their professional
careers upon graduation.
- 4-years direct honours degree programme
- The only maritime business degree programme in Singapore
- Students can opt to do Specialisation in International Trading
Singapore-Cambridge GCE 'A' Level
- Pass in H1 Level Mathematics/'O' level Additional Mathematics or equivalent, and
- Pass in H1 Level/'O' level Science subject
- A diploma from one of the local polytechnics,
- Relevant diplomas may be exempted from selected courses,
- For a list of acceptable local diplomas, please refer here.
International Baccalaureate Diploma
- Pass in Standard Level Mathematics, and
- Pass in Standard Level Biology/ Chemistry/ Physics
International & Other Qualifications
- Pass in Junior High School Level Additional Mathematics, and
- Pass in Junior High School Level Biology/ Chemistry/ Physics/ Science
NUS High School Diploma
- Major CAP of 2.0 in Mathematics, and
- Overall CAP of 2.0 in Biology/ Chemistry/ Physics
International students must have completed at least 12 years of general education, or will be taking Year 12 national examinations in the year of application in order to be considered for admission. In addition to fulfilling the minimum entry requirements, applicants must also satisfy the minimum subject requirements. For further details, please refer here.
Students with outstanding Singapore GCE ‘A’ Level, International Baccalaureate (IB) and NUS High School Diploma results may be eligible for exemptions from the first-year Math course.
Students with outstanding Poly Diploma results may be eligible for exemptions from some of the first &/or second year courses.
Our Programme provide a complete education and create diverse opportunities to harness the talents of students and nurture graduates not limited by boundaries. It provides a holistic education that includes a strong grounding in maritime fundamentals, appreciation in arts, humanities, business and sciences, practical experience and soft skills.
Core Programme Requirement : 93 AU
General Education Requirement (GER)
- GER-Core : 17 AU
- Communication Skills
- Introduction to Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
- Enterprise & Innovation
- Professionals in Society
- Kickstart your Career Success
- GER-Prescribed Electives (GER-PE): 9 AU
Selection of courses from the following categories:
- Business & Management
- Liberal Arts
- Science, Technology & Society
Unrestricted Elective (UE) : 15 AU
- GER-Core : 17 AU
It is a 4 Years Direct Hon Degree Programme.
The maritime industry is poised to grow steadily over the years. The maritime industry offers good career prospects with commensurate salaries, job stability and job flexibility. Graduates are expected to fill key leadership roles in the maritime industry. Our fresh graduates are expected to be employed in a broad and diverse range of shore-based jobs. Our graduates have been in diverse exciting jobs in various sectors.
There are more than 40 minors available. Full list could be found via the following link.
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies with Second Major in Business
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies with Second Major in Business (International Trading)
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies with Second Major in Data Analytics
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies SkillsFuture Work-Study Degree Programme
- Bachelor of Science in Maritime Studies with Second Major in Sustainability