Work-Study Degree Programme
The School of Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology (CCEB) offers a Work-Study Degree Programme (WSDeg)*. Students in the programme receive on-the-job training experiences during their studies at NTU, in partnership with one of our industry-leading company partners. This enhances their readiness for the workplace, providing a decisive advantage in landing a dream job after graduation.
At present, the WSDeg programme is available to students in the BSc in Chemistry and Biological Chemistry programme.
- Early Access To An Established Industry Partner—The multiple on-the-job trainings, hosted by established industry partners, provide a unique opportunity for students to supplement their classroom-based education with practical work experiences, and to learn about their host company's work culture and domain expertise.
- Deepen Relevant Industry Skillsets and Knowledge—Students benefit from greater exposure to a professional work environment, allowing them to their deepen technical skills, develop soft skills, and improve their understanding of real-world practices.
- Industry-sponsored Final Year Project—Students have the opportunity to embark on a final year project supervised by company and faculty supervisors.
- Enhance Career Readiness—The continuous engagement with a company throughout the course of study enhances students' job readiness and transition into the workplace after graduation.
DBS Bank • DSTA • Dyson • Eva Group • Evoqua Water Technologies • GlobalFoundries
Hyperganic • Makino • Manulife • Nordic Group Limited • REC Solar Group • SAP
ST Electronic Engineering • Schlumberger • Standard Chartered Bank • Swift Solutions
Vertex Holdings • Visa • Yara International
... and more!
How to Apply
Students will be invited to apply in Year 2 Semester 1 via email.
The following materials are needed for the application (please note that these materials will be forwarded to the participating companies):
- Cover Letter and Resume (as a single file, in PDF format)
- A brief explanation of interest in the programme
To be admitted to the programme, students must be first shortlisted by School to participate in the placement with a participating company. NTU's Career and Attachment Office will then facilitate the placement process. However, final placement is decided by companies on a competitive basis.
The WSDeg programme consists of a sequence of credit-earning internships, culminating in an industry-sponsored WSDeg Final Year Project (FYP).
- Work Term 1: 10 weeks (during Year 2 Special Semesters I & II)
- Work Term 2: 20 weeks (during Year 3 Semester 1 OR Year 3 Semester 2)
- Work Term 3: 11 weeks (during Year 3 Special Semesters I & II)
- Work Term 4: 5 weeks (during Year 4 Winter Break - Dec to Jan)
Commitment for Students
- Maximum up to 2 companies in Block 1 and Block 2, i.e. students may change to a different company in Block 2 subject to agreement by the company.
- In Block 3, students must commit to one of the companies they have engaged in earlier work terms.
- Work Term 4 is for immersion and continuity.
- Students must spend minimum 1 day at the office during the course of the WSDeg FYP in Year 4.
For students admitted in AY2021/2022
Chemistry and Biological Chemistry
|Major PE (WSDeg)||10 AU|
|Major PE (Non WSDeg)||12 AU|
|Interdisciplinary Collaborative Core: Common Core||17 AU|
|Interdisciplinary Collaborative Core: Foundational Core||10 AU|
|Broadening and Deepening Electives (WSDeg)||18 AU|
|Broadening and Deepening Electives (Non WSDeg)||9 AU|
Students in the WSDeg are required to complete three Professional Attachments, one Professional Internship and a WSDeg FYP to fulfil the requirement under the NTU Work-Study Degree Programme. The course codes and titles are shown below (for all programmes):
|Block||Work Term||Module||AU||Duration||Course Type||Grading|
|U21 & later||U20|
|1||WT1||PS2001 Professional Attachment I (Work Term 1)||5||10 weeks||ICC Foundational Core||UE||Pass/Fail|
|2||WT2||PS5001 Professional Internship (Work Term 2)||10||20 weeks||BDE||UE||Pass/Fail|
|3||WT3||PS5002 Professional Attachment II (Work Term 3)||5||11 weeks (10+1*)||BDE||MPE||Pass/Fail|
|3||WT4||PS5003 Professional Attachment III (Work Term 4)||3||5 weeks*||BDE||MPE||Pass/Fail|
|3||WSDeg FYP||CM4901||10||2 Semesters (Year 4)||MPE||Letter-Graded|
* Assessment for PA II (Work Term 3) will be assessed as a whole for 11 weeks. The 1 week in excess of 10 weeks during PA II in Summer will account to PA III (Work Term 4) to earn 3 AU.