Safety is an integral part of life and work at the School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences. We are committed to ensuring that all research and educational activities are performed in a safe and proper way. This includes conducting safety training before beginning work in any laboratory or facility, ensuring that everyone is well-prepared to respond to an emergency, and ensuring that safety rules and regulations are followed at all times.
All staff, students, visitors and contractors are strictly required to comply with the safety rules and regulations established by the University and the School. Click on the links below to find out more.
For feedback & enquires about safety, email [email protected] or call 6537 8685.
In Case of Emergency
- Call NTU's 24H Emergency Hotline at 6790 5200
- Then call SPMS Safety (6537 8685) and SPMS Facilities (6537 8686)
- Do not call Campus Fault Report (6790 4777)
SPMS Safety Objective 2023
50% of SPMS PIs are to carry out at least one safety walk in their lab and record their observations by 30 November 2023
As part of continual improvement to our safety culture, SPMS has put in place a PI safety walk as this year’s safety objective. This safety objective has the purpose to demonstrate care for our staff and student, instilling safe work practices and reducing the incidence of at-risk work behaviours by top management. We seek your support and strong participation in this programme.
Guide for New Users
Information and procedures before beginning work at a research laboratory or other workplace at SPMS.
In case of emergency, call NTU's 24h Emergency Hotline at 6790 5200. Learn more here.
Purchase of Controlled Items
Procedures for purchasing and handling controlled chemicals and equipment.
Risk assessments, which are mandated by law, allow us to manage risk at the workplace and mitigate incidents arising from work activities.
- NTU Office of Health, Safety and Emergency (OHSE) intranet site
- Workplace Safety & Health Council
- Workplace Safety & Health institute
- Singapore Statutes Online
Safety Matters Poster
- Sep 2023 Prevention of Slips, Trips and Falls Updated
- Sep 2022 Consumer Safety & Safety Mark
- June 2022 Handling Sharps
- Apr 2022 Behavioural Based Safety Observation (BBSO)
- Nov 2021 Contractor Safety Management - Documents Required
- Oct 2021 Prevent Workplace Injury with Safety Training
- Sep 2021 Importing of Controlled Items/Materials
- Aug 2021 Prevention of Slips, Trips and Falls (STF)
- July 2021 Safe Use of Lasers
- June 2021 Purchased of Controlled Items
- May 2021 Safe Use of Fume Cupboard
- Apr 2021 Contractor Safety Management
- Mar 2021 Emergency Equipment in SPMS
- Feb 2021 Cryogenic Safety
- Jan 2021 Electrical Safety
- Dec 2020 Chemical Safety Data Sheet
- Nov 2020 Chemical Storage
- Oct 2020 Fire Safety
- Ministry of Health (MOH) - Biosafety
- Ministry of Manpower (MOM) - Workplace Safety and Health
- National Environmental Agency (NEA)
- National Environmental Agency (NEA) - Radiation Safety
- Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF)
- Singapore Customs - Chemical Weapons Convention Regulations
- Singapore Police Force (SPF) - Arms and Explosive License