Our Malay language courses aim to provide students with competence in the four language skills - reading, writing, listening, and speaking. The emphasis is on its practical use within a range of situations at the level of everyday communication. It aims to enable you to express yourelves on things close to your daily life. The content of this course is also designed to introduce some aspects of Malay social and cultural practices through the use of texts and exercises in the course materials.
For more information, please contact the Malay language coordinator at email@example.com
- It is Singapore's National language - Learning Malay helps you to understand Singapore's history and its unique cultural and ethnic mix.
- It is a practical choice - With more than 230 million speakers in the region, you would have plenty of opportunities to use the language and forge new friendship with your friends from Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei.
- It is your travel companion - Learning Malay certainly helps when you travel to the neighbouring countries. it helps you to get around, get things done and communicate with your friends in Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei.
- it is easy to pick up - Malay language uses the same Roman letters from the alphabet which makes it so much easier to pick up if you already know English.There are no tones, tense, grammatical gender and plural forms.
- It is for bonding and friendship - You definitely have many Malay friends, teachers and neighbours. Hence, knowing Malay helps you to communicate and bond better with them.
- It is part of Singapore's unique language, 'Singlish' - There are many phrases coined from combining words in Malay, Chinese and English and these have become our unique way of communicating with one another. Learning Malay would help you to understand how these phrases come about, its original and new meaning and even create new phrases that could further shape Singapore's language identity.
Learn Malay and it is your gateway to Southeast Asia. Our GEM Trailblazer Summer Programme enables students to learn Malay and be immersed in its rich culture. With our creative pedagogies and cultural field trips, you will certainly have an enriching learning experience.