A Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programme by research in the fields of chemical and biomedical engineering.
This PhD programme is hosted at the School of Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology (CCEB).
The periods of candidature are as follows:
|Candidature||Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)|
|Full-Time (Year)||Part-Time (Year)|
Students pay fees at unsubsidised rates after Maximum of candidature
Possible areas of research
For faculty listing in the various research areas, please click here.
Applications for admission must be submitted online. For more information, please click on Research Programmes Admissions Guide.
PhD Coursework Components
Before Qualifying Examination:
- 18 AUs (6 courses: at least 4 from CCEB) with CGPA 3.50
- Graduate English (HW8003)* & University Teaching for Teaching Assistants (HWG702)*
* For full time PhD students only
Before Thesis Submission:
- 3 AUs Communication Courses (compulsory for students admitted from AY2019 onwards)
- 3-minute thesis (3MT)
- Qualifying examination & confirmation by end of year 2
- Submission of thesis for examination
- PhD oral examination
- All candidates will commence as Research Students in the first instance. Subsequently, the candidate will be required to pass the Qualifying Examination and Confirmation Exercise in order to be confirmed as a PhD candidate or MEng candidate.
- The candidate will pursue the research work under the supervision of the supervisor and submit for examination a thesis based on the research work done. The candidate must keep in frequent and regular contact with the supervisor regarding the research throughout the candidature period.
- The candidate is required to attend classes and pass the examination to meet the coursework requirements such as Academic Unit (AU) and Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA).
- Candidates are required to complete all the coursework and undergo a Qualifying Examination cum Confirmation Exercise within the period stipulated.
- Upon completion of the research, the candidate is required to submit the thesis in a form ready and acceptable for examination before the expiry of the maximum candidature.
- In addition to being examined on the thesis, a candidate for the degree of PhD must pass an oral examination) on the subject matter of the thesis and other related subjects.
Graduate Courses in Chemical and Biomedical Engineering:
•CH7102 Cell Therapeutics Engineering
Graduate Courses in Chemistry: