ENHANCING STUDENTS' JOB-READINESS
The Committee on the Future Economy has recommended the introduction of new modalities of education and training at the Institutes of Higher Learning as there are tangible benefits for students to be exposed to on-the-job training (OJT). CoE's SkillsFuture Work-Study Degree (WSDeg) programmes are purposed to enhance students’ readiness for the workplace after graduation by integrating institution-based learning with structured OJT in partnership with employers. Students benefit from greater exposure to the professional work environment, allowing them to learn on the job, acquire and deepen jobskills, and cultivate an understanding of real-world practices through multiple internships, culminating in an industry-sponsored WSDeg Final Year Project (FYP).
CoE currently offers the following WSDeg:
Bachelor of Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Information Engineering and Media
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
The WSDeg comprise approximately 54 weeks of OJT and industry-sponsored FYP integrated into the 4-year undergraduate curriculum. The OJT components include:
• Work Term 1: PA (10 weeks in Year 2 Special Semester from May to Jul; 5AU)
• Work Term 2: PI (20 weeks in Year 3, either Semester 1 from Aug to Dec or Semester 2 from Jan to May; 10AU)
• Work Term 3: PA (11 weeks in Year 3 Special Semester from May to Jul; 5AU)
• Work Term 4: PA Winter (5 weeks in Year 4 Winter from Dec to Jan; 3AU)
• WSDeg Final Year Project (FYP): (40 weeks in Year 4 Semester 1 & 2, minimum 8 hours/week; 8AU)
1) Block 1 & 2: These Discovery/Exploratory blocks allow students to develop foundational skillsets and fundamental industry insights before commitment to a focused job role/function. Students may choose to stay with the same company for both Work Term 1 and 2, or select a different company for each Work Term.
2) Block 3: Students are expected to commit to one of the companies they have engaged with in earlier work terms (either Work Term 1 and/or 2).
3) The AU for the 3 PA in Work Term 1, 3 and 4 will be drawn from students' Broadening & Deepening Electives (BDE). Interested students should plan their studies accordingly to free up 13AU of BDE for the 3 PA.
HOW TO APPLY
Students will be invited to apply in Year 2 Semester 1 via email.
The tuition fees for the WSDeg are pegged to the fees for the corresponding Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor of Science programme. For more information, please see here.
- As trainees, students can acquire work-relevant skills and vital work experience through learning and application of relevant competencies at the workplace.
- Students are being prepared to be work-ready after graduation.
- Students gain early exposure to a company’s working environment and culture, resulting in better chance of conversion to full-time employment upon graduation.
3. What are the benefits of the WSDeg to participating companies?
- Host companies gain a contributor while the trainee is still studying.
- It provides an early opportunity to recruit, assess and groom suitable talent.
- The OJT ensures relevance of training specific to the company’s needs and culture.
- It improves retention by fulfilling the trainee’s upgrading aspirations.
- Provide OJT for students in a safe environment and assess their capabilities for potential employment in the company upon their graduation.
- Assign a suitable supervisor(s) in the company to provide guidance to student(s).
- Provide an examinable Final Year Project topic.
- Assess students’ Work Term performance based on the assessment scheme provided by NTU.
INFORMATION & ENQUIRIES
For more programme information or enquiries, please refer to our contact list here.
Ms Sabrina Chew
Career & Attachment Office
Email: [email protected]
DID: 6904 7288
Information is accurate at the time of publication. The University reserves the right to update any of the programme options and curricula without prior notice and obligation.