The programme aims to provide a unique opportunity for students to be cross-trained in chemistry and biology with an emphasis on mechanism and synthesis.
The “new era” of biomedical R&D requires interdisciplinary knowledge and training. Interdisciplinarity is the way forward to solve complex biological problems and develop therapeutics for diseases. Students will be well equipped with knowledge in both disciplines and will possess the relevant skill-sets to embark on careers in biomedical and pharmaceutical R&D.
Biological Sciences major requirements
- Basic Inorganic Chemistry with Laboratory
- Basic Physical Chemistry with Laboratory
- Organic & Bioorganic Chemistry
- Physical & Biophysical Chemistry I
- Organic Relation Mechanisms and Synthesis
- Cross-trained in Biological Sciences and Chemistry
- All 2nd major courses taught by Division of Chemistry and Biological Chemistry, School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Nanyang Technological University
This is a full time four-year Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Biological Sciences with 2nd major in Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacology.
During the period of study for the degree of Bachelor of Science 2nd major in Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacology, a student must pursue such courses of study as may be prescribed by Regulations made by the Academic Board on the recommendation of the School of Biological Sciences.
For successful completion of the programme and be eligible for graduation, students are required to fulfil the following requirements:
- For students admitted (From AY2021 and onwards), to obtain a total of not less than 139 academic units within the maximum period permitted, unless a candidate has been granted exemption by the School from taking certain courses, on a case-by-case basis
- For students admitted (From AY2018 to AY2020), to obtain a total of not less than 145 academic units within the maximum period permitted.
- For students admitted in AY2017 and before, to obtain a total of not less than 150 academic units within the maximum period permitted.
- Students are required to maintain a CGPA of at least 4.0 throughout their course of study. Should a student fail to maintain the required CGPA, the school would recommend him / her the option to drop the 2nd Major and join the standard BS (Hons) programme.
- To qualify for the Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacology Major, students must complete a minimum of :
- 32 AUs of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacology courses for AY2018 intake and onwards
- 36 AUs of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacology courses for AY2017 intake and before
The courses fall under the Broadening & Deepening Education (BDE) /General Education Requirement Unrestricted Elective (GER-UE)/ category.
- To have gained a pass grade in all the major and general education requirement courses as determined by the School of Biological Sciences; and
- Fulfilled other such requirements as may be prescribed by the Academic Board.