IDEA League will hold the online summer schools this year, offering to open up the summer schools to ASPIRE League member university students. The summer schools are organized by Chalmers University of Technology, and RWTH Aachen University (RWTH Aachen). For each of the following summer schools, IDEA League has reserved places for graduate students from ASPIRE League member universities.
|RWTH Aachen Summer School|
|Human Powered Vehicle Concepts (23 – 27 August 2021)|
Urbanization, digitalization and general environmental changes make society rethink mobility.
These influences affect people’s lifestyles and mobility preferences, but also bring a variety of new opportunities and technological innovations.
It is more important than ever to ensure sustainable, comfortable and affordable mobility in human powered vehicles contributing to development.
The programme aims to:
· Identify the importance of multimodal transportation.
· Recognise the opportunities of muscle-powered vehicles.
· Developing concepts for the mobility of tomorrow.
*Open for PhD and Master students
|Climate Change and University Campuses (25 – 27 August 2021)|
This summer school facilitates an online interactive platform, the Climate Combat Lab, which brings together students and academics from five IDEA League universities to exchange and develop ideas on how to develop, test and disseminate climate change mitigation strategy and action plans for university campuses.
The programme aims to:
· Identify the drivers of climate change in the university campuses
· Identify a range of effective practices addressing climate change mitigation
· Develop a climate change mitigation strategy operationalising a new participatory model for inclusive strategies and actions plans.
*Open for PhD and Master students
|Chalmers University Summer School|
|Analysis and modelling road user behaviour (13 – 17 September 2021)|
The course aims to provide with the human factors theoretical foundations for the analysis and modelling of road-user behaviour, within the context of road safety and development of driving automation systems.
· Explain the importance of analyzing and modelling road-user behavior, for improving road safety.
· Illustrate different types of human factors theoretical driver models.
· Compute relevant quantitative and qualitative metrics, to analyze and model road-user behavior.
· Identify the challenges in the analysis of real-traffic data from naturalistic studies.
· Compare the currently available tools for the virtual evaluation of active safety systems.
*Open for PhD students
*Proficient English language skills are required for all summer schools.
Interested applicants are encouraged to make their application here(link to the application form) by 1 August 2021.
For further details about the summer schools, please refer to the web pages below:
Trusted Media Challenge
AI Singapore is launching the Trusted Media Challenge to test out solutions and explore how Artificial Intelligence (AI) technologies can be leveraged to combat fake media.
- Datasets will focus on fake video and fake audio.
- Build Machine Learning classifiers which are robust and accurate.
- Platform for researchers and engineers to contribute ideas and advance the state-of-the-art in fake media detection.
- Up to $700k in prize monies will be distributed to the winners of the competition.
• Researchers and Industry Professionals from around the world.
• Anyone who is interested and/or experienced in machine learning, deep learning, computer vision especially in media forensics.
Challenge Period: 15 July – 15 December 2021
Click here for more information and sign up.
Building the next generation of workspaces on NTU campus for a cohesive and collaborative working environment
Come and join in this ideation challenge where you can put your creativity to the test by rethinking how future workspaces will evolve as part of the future hybrid work model of partial work-from-home and work-from-office!
Big firms such as Twitter and Google are already planning a permanent shift to remote working while local banks like OCBC are reviewing its office space requirements. This means that traditional fixed-desk seating arrangements are no longer needed! Activity-based workplaces where employees have a variety of individual and shared places to work, collaborate, or have online meetings need to be in place.
Join the upcoming MakanNight! Challenge to address the challenge statement: How can we adjust our study and meeting spaces on our NTU campus to meet the future concept of workspaces?
What is in it for me?
The top 3 teams stand to win cash prizes of up to $1,000 in total! In addition, interested and qualified teams will have access to funds of up to $10,000 and resources provided by NTUitive to execute their solution on NTU campus.
How to register?
Gather a team of up to 3 pax or you can register as an individual. The challenge is open to all NTU students, staff, faculty, and alumni.
For more info and to sign up, visit: http://bit.ly/linktreeNTUitive
Registration closes on 30 June, 2359hrs. Do note that you need to submit a 1-page preliminary proposal of your solution to be considered for the qualifying round.
The 15K Competition
The 15K Competition is an entrepreneurship competition modelled on MIT’s 100K competition. The main goal of the competition is to motivate students and researchers to not only develop innovative technologies and processes, but to think about how to bring their ideas to market.
Participants and stand to win up to $34,000 cash + the opportunity to advance to the ATEC (Asia Technology Entrepreneurship Conference) Competition!
How to register?
• 2 to 4 students per team
• Projects must be STEM related.
• Projects are in the ideation / prototype stage and have received less than an overall funding of $50K
For more info and to sign up, visit: http://bit.ly/15KCompetitionxNTU.
Registration closes on 4 July, 2359hrs.
The Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) organised the ACU Summer School 2021 in partnership with TaTa Institute of Social Sciences. The event boasts a highly interactive,
two-week programme covering a range of interesting topics, taking place on the 2-13 August 2021.
- Learn about urban disasters and concepts of disaster vulnerability, risk, and resilience
- From the impact of COVID-19 on international policies, to global urbanisation challenges, delegates will reflect on a range of topics to explore community-based initiatives and the potential for collaborative governance.
- Delegates can expect:
- Lectures by leading international speakers
- Engaging and challenging group project work
- Networking opportunities
- Intercultural sessions
- Skills development
- A chance to learn about the history and culture of Mumbai.
Open to post-graduate or final year undergraduate students, the event will provide opportunities for
cross cultural learning, skills development and engaging group project work. The event is free to
attend but participants will be selected as part of a competitive selection process.
More information and application details can be found here. Application deadline: 14 April at 16:00 UTC + 1.
MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowship Call 2021 - European Hosting Offers (2)
Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) Postdoctoral Fellowship aims to equip postdoctoral researchers with complementary professional skills for their future careers through the implementation of a personalised research project. Researchers of any nationality and from all scientific disciplines with a doctoral degree and a maximum of 8 years of full-time post-graduate research experience at the time of the submission deadline are eligible to apply.
They are organising a webinar on 14 June 2021, 4pm for participants to meet representatives from European countries including Slovakia, Spain, and the UK to learn about various hosting offers for applicants to the 2021 MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowship Call at leading institutions in Europe. They would also share about the respective eligibility criteria, and the available support structure during the drafting of the application proposal.Interested candidates can register here and click here for more information
Research in Germany
The German Academic Exchange Service will hold a series of presentations on the German research landscape on 7- 10 June 2021 at 2pm (CEST), with extensive information on options for continuing a research career in Germany.
- Monday, 7 June 2021, 14:00-15:00 CEST- The German Research Landscape
Who does research in Germany?
- Tuesday, 8 June 2021, 14:00–15:00 CEST -Doctorate Opportunities in Germany
How to find a supervisor, write a proposal, find funding opportunities.
- Wednesday, 9 June 2021, 14:00–15:00 CEST- Postdoc opportunities in Germany
How to find a position and funding opportunities
- Thursday, 10 June 2021, 14:00–15:00 CEST- “Ask a professor”
…and get insights on selection criteria, how to address a professor successfully and everything you want to know about research!
Interested students can register here.
Asian Science and Technology Pioneering Institutes of Research and Education (ASPIRE) Forum 2021 will be organised online by Tokyo Institute of Technology (Tokyo Tech) from June 24-30, 2021. The theme for this year ASPIRE Forum 2021 is Better Living for All in a New Normal.
One of the main highlights is the ASPIRE Student Workshop 2021. The Student Workshop comprises of lectures and participants are assigned to working groups to prepare for a presentation on a particular topic to be made to the Vice Presidents on the final day of the ASPIRE Forum. Participants will discuss utilization of technologies for the realization of an inclusive sustainable society that offers better living for all in a New Normal. The Student Workshop will include as speakers researchers from the fields of Human Centered Design, Wireless Communication and Basic Genome Biology.
Topics for the student workshop may encompass the following areas:
- Human behaviour sensing
- Injury prevention engineering
- Active assisted living
- Beyond 5G
- Automated driving
- Genomic engineering
- Synthetic biology
The 4th ASEF Young Leaders Summit (ASEFYLS4) is a fully-funded 10-month leadership programme: to train, lead and act on “Sustainable Development in a post-COVID19 world”.
- When: From 22 February 2021 to end of November 2021
- Where: Virtually, in Cambodia and across ASEM countries
- Who: ASEM Youth aged 18-30
- Receive a certified course on the Sustainable Development Goals and Leadership, by world-leading Higher Education and training institutions, the College of Europe in Natolin, and the Center for Creative Leadership.
Applications for the 4th ASEF Young Leaders Summit must be submitted on their website by 3 February 2021. The overview, programme and FAQs documents have been attached to this email for your easy reference. Further information can be found here.
Imperial College Business School calls on postgraduate students from across the world to enter the Climate Investment Challenge to develop and describe creative financial solutions and innovations to tackle climate change. This could be identifying untapped climate finance opportunities, developing innovative financial structures, or instruments that improve the bankability of climate investments.
- Target areas include Energy, Agriculture, Healthcare, Infrastructure, Transportation and Industry.
- The winning and runner-up teams will be awarded £10,000 and £50,000 respectively.
- Students enrolled in a postgraduate degree (Masters, MBA or PhD-level) at the time of the submission.
- The challenge is open globally to students from all academic backgrounds. Undergraduate students may participate as long as the leader of the group is enrolled in a postgraduate degree.
- Students will have to form teams of 2 to 5 members.
Application for Climate Investment Challenge must be submitted through their website by 21 February 2021. Further information can be found here.
The 11th edition of Merck Innovation Cup 2021 is a one-week Summer Camp for 30 selected postgraduate students to attend in-depth presentations about the pharmaceutical and chemical industry near Frankfurt, Germany. In case the pandemic situation would not allow in-person meetings, the event would take place online.
- One-week summer camp: 26 June – 2 July 2021
- All travel, food and accommodation expenses are paid by Merck.
- Selected top performing participants could get an offer for a permanent employment at Merck.
- A EUR 20,000 prize will be awarded to the team that presents the most convincing business plan, plus EUR 5,000 for the runner-up.
- Sciences: Postgraduate students in natural sciences (Biology, chemistry, physics, medicine, biotech, bioinformatics, biochemistry, pharmacy, informatics, computer science, data science, engineering, or related fields).
- Business: Advanced MBA students or recent MBA graduates with an interest in pharmaceutical, chemical or digital business.
The Hong Kong Laureate Forum 2021
- Undergraduates, postgraduates and PhD graduates who are aged 35 or below and studying or conducting research in Astronomy, Life Science and Medicine, Mathematical Sciences or other closely related subjects.
- Only 200 outstanding young scientists will be selected to join the inaugural Hong Kong Laureate Forum.
Applications for inaugural Hong Kong Laureate Forum 2021 must be submitted no later than 13 December 2020. Further information on the forum can be found here.