The postgraduate internship is open to all Year 3 and Year 4 Ph.D. students. There are two internship pathways:
- Internship Leave
- Professional Graduate Internship
|Internship Leave||GP7001: Professional Graduate Internship2|
|AU||0 (non-credit-bearing)||3 (credit-bearing)|
|Duration||Maximum is 3 months for international students1. Up to 6 months for local students||Up to 6 months|
|Counted toward candidature||No||Yes|
|Remuneration from the company||Yes|
Yes, capped in accordance with university guidelines.
FAQs for Postgraduate Internship Programme
Q: Can I do apply for an internship if I am a Part-time PhD student?
Ans: Yes. You are eligible to apply for an Internship.
Q: If I am a Master student, can I apply for an internship?
Ans: Master students are not eligible to apply for Postgraduate Internship Programme.
Q: Can I submit my thesis before/during the Internship programme?
Ans: Students who have submitted their thesis are not eligible for the internship programme. You are also not allowed to submit a thesis during the internship period.
Q: Can I self-source my own Internship?
Ans: Yes. You will be able to self-source your own internship.
Q: Can I do an overseas internship?
Ans: Yes, you can.
Q: Can I do a research internship in any university or research institutes?
Ans: Yes, you can. However, the scope/outcome of the postgraduate internship should not be included in thesis content, unless there is a pre-existing research collaboration agreement. This is to avoid conflict of interest.
Q: How long can I do my Internship for?
Ans: Local students are able to do an internship for up to 6 months for both Internship leave and credit-bearing Internship. International students can do an internship for up to 6 months for a credit-bearing Internship and up to 3 months for Internship leave. Please note that international students can only work a maximum of 16 hours/week for Internship leave.
Q: Will my Scholarship stipend cease?
Ans: You will still be able to receive your Scholarship stipend if you are taking a credit-bearing GP7001 Professional Graduate Internship. However, your stipend will cease during the internship period if you are taking Internship leave.
Q: Will my maximum candidature and stipend be extended?
Ans: If you are applying under GP7001 Professional Graduate Internship, your maximum candidature and stipend will not be extended.
Ans: If you are applying under Internship leave, your maximum candidature and stipend will be extended accordingly. For instance, you applied for 3 months of Internship leave, your maximum candidature will be 5 years + 3 months. You will not receive a stipend for the 3 months of Internship leave, but you will receive a stipend during the extended 3 months.
Q: Is there a limit to the remuneration I can get from the company?
Ans: There is no limit to remuneration you can receive from the company if you are applying via Internship leave. However, for credit-bearing Internship, the remuneration is capped in accordance with university guidelines.
Q: If I have fulfilled all the required AUs for my PhD study, can I still take the GP7001 Professional Graduate Internship?
Ans: Yes, you can. GP7001 Professional Graduate Internship is graded as pass/fail and therefore, it is unlikely that it would affect your grades. In addition, it would be reflected in your transcript.
Q: What are the requirements for me to pass the GP7001 Professional Graduate Internship?
Ans: You will need to submit a progress report during the mid-term and a final report (after internship) to Graduate College (email@example.com). Please let your Company and NTU Faculty Supervisor look through the report before submission. You must achieve at least 70% attendance during the internship to Pass the credit-bearing coursework.
Q: Can I do multiple Internship?
Ans: Consecutive applications for more than one internship experience is allowable, but only limited to once for credit-bearing internship course GP7001 and once for internship leave option, respectively, and subjected to Graduate College’s approval.
Q: Can I do my 6 months credit-bearing Internship with 2 different companies (3 months each)?
Ans: No. You are not allowed. The credit-bearing course GP7001 is only valid for one company, if you intend to intern in another company subsequently, you can opt for the internship leave option, subject to Graduate College’s approval.
Following are some of the arrangement and requirement for hosting postgraduate internship.
For Students Taking Credit-bearing Professional Graduate internship
- Organization can host international NTU students full time without work permit.
- The allowance to be paid to the students will be determined by the organization. (Note: Students on scholarship will only be able to receive top up amount allowed by NTU policy)
- Postgraduate students need to achieve a minimum 70% attendance during the internship.
- Postgraduate students need to submit mid term progress report (after 1st month of the internship) and final report (at the end of the internship) to Graduate College (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Students are insured against industrial hazards or accidents through a Group Personal Accident Insurance Scheme arranged by NTU or their own Personal Accident Insurance
- Separate research agreement will be facilitated for collaborative research project.
For Students Taking Non-credit-bearing Internship Leave
- International students will need to seek prior approval from NTU and can only work a maximum 16 hours/week during study term for up to 3 months.
- The allowance to be paid to the students are determined by the organization.
- Students are insured against industrial hazards or accidents through a Group Personal Accident Insurance Scheme arranged by NTU or their own Personal Accident Insurance.
Please send your enquiries to email@example.com.