Graduate Studies

1. What should I do if I wish to pursue further studies upon graduation?

You must apply for bond deferment regardless of the University (local or overseas) you intend to pursue your Post Graduate.

You must complete the following procedures if you wish to proceed:
a) Contact Bond Management team via email at and provide your undergraduate matriculation number and a copy of the admission offer letter for your deferment request.

b) The Bond Administrator may refer you to the Student Affairs Office (SAO) Engagement team at for assessment.

 Please also note the following regarding your bond deferment application:
- Approval is reviewed on case by case basis and is not guaranteed. 
- Scholars who have successfully applied for bond deferment are not eligible to apply for airfare reimbursement.

2.  Is there a maximum number of years I can defer my bond for further studies?

Bond deferment for further studies will be capped at:
Master      2 years
​PhD        5 years
Further extension of bond deferment will be considered on a case-by-case basis subject to the submission of documentary proof in support of your appeal. 

3.  When should I apply for bond deferment?

Applications for bond deferment must be made at least 2 months BEFORE your graduate studies start date, or immediately upon receipt of your offer letter for graduate studies.

4.  What happens after approval ?

If your bond deferment application is approved, you will be required to execute a Supplemental Agreement and put up a Banker's Guarantee (BG). BG should be placed in a MAS-approved bank in Singapore. Please arrange to meet our Bond Management Administrator on this arrangement via email

5. How much is the Banker's Guarantee (BG)?

 Location of graduate studies  BG required - Liquidated Damages (LD)​​ 
​ In Singapore  20% of estimated LD
 In Singapore with an Overseas component    50% of estimated LD
​ Overseas  100% of estimated LD

6. Can I request for a waiver of BG?

There is no waiver (or appeal) for Banker's Guarantee (BG). For bond transfer (e.g. to A*STAR), you may contact your Bond Administrator at

7. What do I need to take note for placement of BG?

Any approval granted for the deferment of your bond is specific to the institution and course of study indicated in the submitted documents. The BG placed is specific to the period and purpose of that one deferment request that has been approved and cannot be transferred for use for a different course of study or purpose without prior approval.

Your BG will be invoked / claimed towards the payment of your liquidated damages should it be found that you have not alerted us of any change of course of study or purpose of deferment.

8. When will my BG be released?

Your BG will only be released to you after you submit the proof of employment in any Singapore-entity company.

9. What should I do if I have decided not to pursue further studies and choose to seek employment instead?

If you have found employment with a Singapore-entity company during your approved bond deferment period, you must inform us to terminate your deferment before starting work. Otherwise, your employment during the approved deferment period will not be counted towards your bond fulfilment.

10. Can I request for a second bond deferment?

Any request for a second bond deferment will not be considered and supported unless you have already served at least three years of your scholarship bond. Approval will be on an exceptionall on a case-by-case basis.

11. What do I need to do after signing the Supplemental Agreement and placement of my BG?

Once your bond deferment request has been approved, you must apply to defer your Tuition Grant bond. You may contact the Tuition Grant Unit (MOE) at for all matters pertaining to your TG bond (if applicable).