With a vision to foster a college culture of giving back to society, the College of Science Community Project (CoSCP) was officially launched in September 2021. It is a staff-and-student volunteerism initiative supported by College of Science (CoS) and championed by student leaders. It aims to provide a platform for the College to come together to promote a more caring society.
Through annual fundraising campaigns and community activities, we hope to achieve the following project objectives as OneCoS:
- Create social impact
- Foster camaraderie within CoS
- Build a college culture of empathy and social responsibility
- Improve one’s well-being and mental health
- Promote and educate on the topics of science and sustainability
The COVID-19 pandemic brought innumerable challenges to countless people, and it continues to leave indelible marks in people’s lives. This project was launched in the crucible of the pandemic to lend a helping hand to those in need, and it continues to do so to this day. The College hopes to share its knowledge with the project’s beneficiaries, helping them to grow and develop on intellectual and emotional levels.
The fundraising campaign and community activities are open to all CoS faculty, staff, students and alumni. Come join us in making a difference!
“It is heart-warming to see the deep reserves that we have grown as a cohesive and resilient nation state. This is the spirit of SG Together in action – a community of deeds, where we support one another, combine our various strengths and make sure no one is left behind.”
Quoted from Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat,
in The Straits Times on 16 October 2020
- Donations are open throughout the year! Please click HERE to donate.
- Select “Education and Student Life – CoS Student Community Activities Fund” to make your donation.
- The donation is tax-deductible and the deduction will be automatically included in your tax assessment if you have provided your tax reference number (e.g. NRIC/FIN/UEN). You do not need to claim the deduction in your tax form.
CoSCP is proud to present its 2nd executive committee. We look forward to the innovative ideas and contributions that this new group of enthusiastic student leaders will bring in the coming months.
Science education activities
Having raised $5,060, exceeding the $5,000 fundraising goal in less than 15 days, CoSCP was able to carry out their plan of hosting a virtual science camp for several student care centres. Through the activities of this science camp, CoSCP hopes to provide an opportunity for these children to learn about science in a fun and engaging way.
With 43 volunteers comprising CoS faculty, staff and students, the CoSCP virtual science camp was held from 13 to 17 December 2021 over Zoom. 135 students from 4 different student care centres across Singapore participated.
Over the course of the 5-day virtual science camp, the volunteers guided the children through various science activities and experiments. The activities included Covid-19 education, basic geology and the science behind earthquakes and volcanoes, and terrarium building. Read more about the science education activities here.
A big thank you to the student leaders from the 1st CoSCP Executive Committee for making this possible!
- Chan Jun Hong Jonathan (CHEM Year 3)
- Ho Sheng Zhen Damien (ESPP Year 2)
- Lee Hsin Yee (BS Year 2)
- Nicole Yeo (CHEM Year 3)
- Song Shu Min Leticia (CHEM Year 3)
- Vanessa Lunardi (BS Year 2)
- Wee Su Fen (EESS Year 2)
For enquiries with regards to this project, you may contact Ms Irene Tay at [email protected]