Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Committee at the School of Biological Sciences
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee (DEIC) at the School of Biological Sciences is comprised of faculty, staff, postdocs, and students. Our goal is to advocate diversity, inclusion, and equity at SBS, as we believe that diversity is our strength. Our aim is to advise the SBS efforts to address any identified issues and to devise action plans that create and sustain an actively inclusive, welcoming, and enriching environment for all.
- DEC will organize activities and engage speakers at SBS to promote awareness and conversation that ensure a welcoming environment for all
- We will periodically evaluate admission and hiring processes at SBS to advise that DEI values are upheld
- We will identify strengths and challenges in achieving DEI goals and devise plans for the chair regarding ways to achieve these goals
- DEIC will engage students, staff, and faculty to assess and highlight any DEI-related issues
- We complement and actively cooperate with several existing committees and student groups, such as DEIC from other schools at NTU and Women@NTU.
- When needed, DEIC may assemble an ad hoc working group tasked with addressing any DEI issues or programs.
The DEIC is comprised of SBS graduate students, postdocs, staff, and faculty, representing the diversity of the SBS community, and we invite representatives from the graduate student and postdoc groups. These representatives are full members of the Committee, and help to ensure there is a clear avenue for the diverse groups to work together on the issues DEIC is actively working to address.
The inaugural chairs of DEIC are Assoc. Prof. Valerie Lim and Asst. Prof. Marek Mutwil
Click here to be considered for nomination for DEIC membership