This course aims to provide participants with a sound grasp of the theoretical underpinnings of authentic assessments as well as practical skills needed for designing authentic assessments. More specifically, it aims to provide participants with 1) conceptual clarity on "authenticity"; 2) principles for designing quality authentic assessments; 3) a critical perspective of the role of authentic assessment within Singapore's educational system. The course will be conducted through discussions, group presentations, online forums, and hands-on activities. Participants are expected to critically appraise literature on authentic assessments and to develop an authentic assessment that will enhance the learning of their students.
This course is part of:
- Graduate Certificate in Curriculum and Teaching
- FlexiMasters in Curriculum and Teaching
Date(s): 08 Aug 2022 to 07 Nov 2022
Time: Every Monday / 5.30pm - 8.30pm
Registration is closed.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- articulate conceptual and theoretical knowledge about authentic assessment
- critique journal articles on authentic assessment
- critique examples of authentic assessments and their rubrics currently in use
- apply authentic assessment task design and rubric development
The essential questions discussed are:
- What are the issues around “Authentic Assessments”?
- What is the link between learning theories and assessment?
- What is the nature of “Authenticity” in “Authentic Assessment”?
- What do “Authentic Assessments” look like?
- How do we design quality “Authentic Assessment”?
- What are the standards involved in quality “Authentic Assessment”? (for discussion on rubrics)
- What is the place of Authentic Assessment in local educational system?
- What are the difficulties in instituting “Authentic Assessment”?
Standard Course Fee: S$4408.40
|Course fee payable after SSG funding, if eligible under various schemes|
|Cat-A SSG Funded Courses||S$1322.52|
|Enhanced Training Support for SMEs (ETSS)||S$498.52|
|Mid-Career Enhanced Subsidy (MCES)||S$498.52|
- All fees stated are inclusive of 7% GST.
- NTU/NIE alumni may utilise their $1,600 Alumni Course Credits. Click here for more information.
|COURSE TITLE||ACADEMIC UNIT|
|MCT902 Crafting the Curriculum*||4|
|MCT904 Understanding Teachers and Teaching: Theory and Practice||4|
|MCT912 Curriculum and Programme Evaluation*||4|
|MCT913 Differentiating Curriculum and Teaching for Diverse Learners||4|
|MCT935 New Media and 21st Century Learning*||4|
Listed courses are:
- Credit-bearing and stackable to Graduate Certificate in Curriculum and Teaching (total 12AUs) and FlexiMasters in Curriculum and Teaching (total 16AUs)
*SSG funded and SkillsFuture Credit approved