Basic optical engineering is very essential to this Mini master course in Engineering Photonics. The objectives of the course are to familiarize the learners with different optical and Laser concepts, light sources, and detectors. Different optical systems used in industrial applications, and optical interferometric systems also will be learnt during this course.
- Graduate Certificate in Engineering Optics and Photonics
- FlexiMasters in Engineering Optics and Photonics
Upon successful completion of the course, the learners should be able to:
1. Understand the different types basic optics and lasers concepts necessary for engineering;
2. Gain knowledge about current practices adopted in different optical systems;
3. Learn and understand industrial laser applications and;
4. Understand optical interferometry systems and practices adopted in industry.
Basic Optics for Engineers
Introduction. Geometrical Optics. Interference, fibre optics. Coherence theory, diffraction.
Light Sources, Detectors and Optical Systems
Laser fundamentals and types, semi-conductor light sources (LED and laser diodes), photographic films, photo-sensors, photodiodes, position sensing detectors, solid state image sensors, digital imaging and image processing system.
Industrial Laser Applications and Optical Systems
Basic laser optics for material processing, beam quality, beam scanning, beam re-shaping, fibre beam delivery system, case studies.
Optical Interferometric Systems and Application
Optical holographic principles, holographic interferometry and applications in microelectronics and micro-mechanics. Applications of laser interferometry, electronic speckle pattern interferometry (TV holography), shearography.
Suitable to learners from all disciplines who seek to have in-depth understanding of photonics and engineering optics and their impact in current industries and for Industry 4.0 (I 4.0).
Standard Course Fee: S$3,210
- All fees stated are inclusive of 7% GST.
- NTU/NIE alumni may utilise their $1,600 Alumni Course Credits. Click here for more information.
|COURSE TITLE||ACADEMIC UNIT|
|CET825 Fibre Lasers for Various Industry Applications||1|
|CET826 Understanding Fibre Optic Distributed Network for IoT Infrastructure||1|
|CET827 Fibre based Components for High Speed IoT Applications||1|
|CET828 Understanding the Principles, Structures, Packaging, Installation and Signal Processing of Optical Fibre Sensing Technology||1|
|CET829 Engineering Metrology||1|
|CET830 Optical Fibre Design and Fabrication for High Power Laser and Telecommunication Applications||1|
|CET831 Lasers and Optics for Smart Manufacturing (I 4.0)- Current Practices and Future Prospects||1|
|CET832 Laser Manufacturing Processes||2|
|CET833 Organic Light Emitting Diode Technology for Flat Panel Information Displays||1|
|CET834 Understanding of basic device structure and operating principles of displays and LEDs||1|
|CET835 Laser Machining and 3D Printing for Industry||0.5|
|CET836 Smart Optical Sensors for Smart Manufacturing||0.5|
|CET765 Lithography Processes for Next Generation of Nano Scale Smart Devices||1|
Listed courses are:
- Credit-bearing and stackable to Graduate Certificate in Engineering Optics and Photonics (total 9AUs) and FlexiMasters in Engineering Optics and Photonics (total 15AUs).
- SkillsFuture Credit approved.