The objectives of this course are to learn about the motivation, evolutionary history, and key technologies of smart grids. The advanced metering and energy storage systems will be introduced in detail in this course.
- Graduate Certificate in Power Engineering
- FlexiMasters in Power Engineering
At the end of the course, learners are able to:
1. obtain the in-depth understanding of the motivation and key technologies of smart grid and energy internet;
2. obtain the in-depth knowledge of advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) and phasor measurement unit (PMU) and;
3. obtain the in-depth knowledge of energy storage systems and their applications in smart grids.
Introduction of “Smart Grid” and “Energy Internet”
This course will introduce the evolutionary history of the power systems, and the basic concepts and technical features of the smart grid and energy internet.
Advanced Metering in Smart Grids
This course will introduce the architecture and key technologies for advance metering in smart grids. Two main techniques are covered: advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) and phasor measurement unit (PMU).
Energy Storage Technologies
This course will introduce the five major energy storage technologies including their working principles, advantages and disadvantages. Besides, the health modeling and monitoring of Li-ion batteries will also be introduced.
Energy Storage Applications In Smart Grids
This course will introduce seven typical applications of energy storage systems in smart grids, which are
1) Load leveling
2) Electric vehicle (EV)
3) Uninterruptible power supplies (UPS)
4) Thermal energy storage
5) Frequency control
6) Microgrid operation
7) Demand response
For engineers who wish to upgrade their technical knowledge and skills in the area of power and energy engineering, which can be applied in the power supply industry.
Standard Course Fee: S$1,620
SSG Funding Support
Course fee payable after SSG funding, if eligible under various schemes
Fee BEFORE funding & GST
Fee AFTER funding & 8% GST
Singapore Citizens (SCs) and Permanent Residents (PRs) (Up to 70% funding)
Enhanced Training Support for SMEs (ETSS)
SCs aged ≥ 40 years old
• NTU/NIE alumni may utilise their $1,600 Alumni Course Credits. Click here for more information.
|COURSE TITLE||ACADEMIC UNIT|
|CET742 Power Electronic Converters I||1|
|CET743 Power Electronic Converters II||1|
|CET744 Power Electronic Converters II||1|
|CET745 Power Quality I||1|
|CET746 Power Quality II||1|
|CET747 Power Quality III||1|
|CET749 Renewable Energy Systems in Smart Grids II||1|
|CET750 Renewable Energy Systems in Smart Grids III||1|
|CET751 Power System Operation and Planning I||1|
|CET752 Power System Operation and Planning II||1|
|CET753 Power System Operation and Planning III||1|
|CET754 Power System Modelling and Control I||1|
|CET755 Power System Modelling and Control II||1|
|CET756 Power System Modelling and Control III||1|
Listed courses are:
- Credit-bearing and stackable to Graduate Certificate in Power Engineering (total 9AUs) and FlexiMasters in Power Engineering (total 15AUs)
- SSG funded and SkillsFuture Credit approved.