Dr. Dong has over 40 years of industrial, teaching, and research experience and has specialised in seismic hazard evaluation and risk assessment. His research interests include seismic design of buildings, structural responsibility, and the application of neural networks, pattern recognition, and artificial intelligence techniques to earthquake hazard mitigation and risk assessment.
He has worked extensively with the insurance and investment industries, structural engineering firms, the State of California, and local and city government bodies, in the transfer of engineering technology. He has also participated in many joint venture projects (US-China, US-Japan) to share knowledge in hazard mitigation with other countries with similar concerns.
- 1984 - 1986 Stanford University, Ph.D. in Structural and Earthquake Engineering
- 1965 - 1968 Shanghais Jiao Tong University, M.S. in Structural Mechanics
- 1964 - 1965 Zhejiang University, Applied Mechanics
- 1956 - 1958 Tong Ji University, Civil Engineering
- 1989 - present Risk Management Solutions, Inc., Senior Vice President, Chief Technical Officer, Currently, Chief Risk Officer
- 1968 - 1984 Design Institute of Machinery Industry, Director of the 3rd Design Division
- 1962 - 1964 Liao Ning Chemical Industrial Institute, Lecturer in Mechanics
- 1958 - 1962 Liao Ning Construction Institute, Lecturer in Bridge Design
During his career, Dr. Dong has published over 100 papers and technical reports. Several representative publications are:
- Hu, Y.-X., Liu, S.-C. and Dong, W. (1996), Earthquake Engineering, New York: Chapman & Hall.
- Dong, W. (2001), Building a More Profitable Portfolio-Modern Portfolio Theory with Application to Catastrophe Insurance, Reactions Publication
- Shah, H., Dong, W.M., “Treatment of Uncertainty in Seismic Risk Evaluation: The Development of a Distributed Loss Model (DLM),” Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Seismic Zonation, V.3, pp. 253-260, Stanford, CA, August 26-29, 1991.
- Shah, H., Boyle, R., and Dong, W.M., “Geographic Information Systems and Artificial Intelligence-Application for Seismic Zonation,” Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Seismic Zonation, V.1, pp. 487-517, Stanford, CA, August 26-29, 1991.
- Wong, F.S., and Dong, W.M., “Estimation of Business Interruption Loss Using Microzonation Techniques,” Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Seismic Zonation, V.1, pp. 298-305, Nice, France, October 17-19, 1995.
- Shah, H. and Dong, W., “Scenario Earthquakes in Financial Risk Management,” 11th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Acapulco, Mexico, June 23-28, 1996.
- Wong, F.S. and Dong, W., “Catastrophe Risk Management: A Rational Approach to Earthquake Insurance,” 11th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Acapulco, Mexico, June 23-28, 1996.
- Dong, W. and Shah, H., “A Rational Approach to Pricing of Catastrophe Insurance,” Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, 12:201-218: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996.
- Dong, W. et al, “Assessment of the State-of-the-Art Earthquake Loss Estimation Methodologies,” FEMA Report 249, Earthquake Hazards Reduction Series 70, National Institute of Building Sciences, Washington, DC, 1993.
- Dong, W. et al, “Estimating Residential Dwelling Losses-The California Residential Earthquake Recovery Fund (CRERF) Experience”, Proceedings of the fifth U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, V. 2, pp. 45, Chicago, July 10-14, 1994.
- Lizundia, B. Dong, W. et al ,”URM Building Damage Patterns in the Loma Prieta Earthquake: Implications for improvements in Loss Estimation Methodologies”, Proceedings of the fifth U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, V. 4, pp.459, Chicago, July 10-14, 1994.
- Anderson, R., and Dong, W.M., “Pricing Catastrophe Reinsurance with Reinstatement Provisions Using a Catastrophe Model,” Casualty Actuarial Society Forum, pp. 303-322, Summer, 1998.
- Loh, C.H., :Lawson, R.S., and Dong, W.M., ”Development of A National Earthquake Risk Assessment Model fro Taiwan”, 12 WCEE, Paper No. 0380, Feb.,2000
- Grossi, P., Dong, W.M. et al, “The Use of Insurance and Another Policy Instruments in Managing Catastrophic Risk”, 12 WCEE, Paper No. 0419, Feb., 2000
- Dong, W. et al., “Financial Management of Earthquake Risk”, EERI Endowment Fund White Paper, EERI, May, 2000
- Mistry, R. Dong, W. and Shah, H., “Interdisciplinary Observations on The January 2001 Bhuj, Gujarat Earthquake”, WSSI and EMI, April, 2001
- Chinese National Award on Structural Optimization, 1978
- Ministry Award on Artificial Earthquake Study, 1980
- Ministry Award on Earthquake Resistance of Electrical Equipment, 1980
- Inventor Recognition Award, Office of Technology Licensing, Stanford University, 1996