DESCRIPTION OF LAB RESEARCH WORK
Guillaume Thibault lab applies genomics, proteomics, and advanced imaging biology techniques to better understand the role of the UPR in the context of lipid bilayer stress (LBS)-induced metabolic diseases and why the UPR ultimately fails to protect the cell. Thibault’s group has shown that the UPR can address a wide range of dysfunctions through differential target gene expression depending on the stress. The Thibault laboratory also first described a remodelling of the protein homeostasis network in response to LBS which they named the membrane stress response (MSR). Among the MSR, they demonstrated that the UPR is essential for cell survival and to maintain protein biogenesis, quality control, and membrane integrity. A major focus of the lab is to better understand the cell stress responses leading to adaptation or death from LBS-induced stress and what causes a cell to go one way or the other.
Senior Research Fellow
|Kim Mei Loh|
|Yap Wei Sheng|
|Aishah Abdul Khalid|
|Koh Jhee Hong|
- The role of glucose on the lifespan of post-reproductive C. elegans
- Endoplasmic reticulum membrane pertubation and cellular stress responses
- Identify Essential Genes to Construct a Functional Unfolded
- Protein Response Programme Using Synthetic Biology
- Elucidating the role of WDFY-3 in aggrephagy and cell stress in C. elegans
Full list of publications can be found here
- N. Ho, H. Wu, J. Xu, J.H. Koh, W.S. Yap, W.W.B. Goh, S.C. Chong, S. Taubert, Guillaume Thibault. ER stress sensor Ire1 deploys a divergent transcriptional program in response to lipid bilayer stress. Journal of Cell Biology. 29 April 2020. doi: 10.1083/jcb.201909165.
- X.H. Fun, Guillaume Thibault. Lipid bilayer stress and proteotoxic stress-induced unfolded protein response deploy divergent transcriptional and non-transcriptional programmes. BBA - Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids. Jan 2020. doi: 10.1016/j.bbalip.2019.04.009.
- W.W.B. Goh, S. Thalappilly, Guillaume Thibault. Moving beyond the current limits of data analysis in longevity and healthy lifespan studies. Drug Discovery Today. Dec 2019. doi: 10.1016/j.drudis.2019.08.008.
- K. Njah, S. Chakraborty, B. Qiu, S. Arumugam, A. Raju, A.V. Pobbati, M. Lakshmanan, V. Tergaonkar, Guillaume Thibault, X. Wang, W Hong. A role of Agrin in maintaining the stability of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2 during tumor angiogenesis.
Cell Reports. 23 Jul 2019. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2019.06.036.
- P.J. Shyu*, B.S.H. Ng*, N. Ho, R. Chaw, S.Y. Ling, C. Marvalim, Guillaume Thibaultǂ. Membrane phospholipid alteration causes chronic ER stress through early degradation of homeostatic ER-resident proteins. Scientific Reports. 14 Jun 2019. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-45020-6.
- C. Beaudoin-Chabot, L. Wang, A.V. Smarun, D. Vidovic, M.S. Shchepinov, Guillaume Thibault. Deuterated polyunsaturated fatty acids reduce oxidative stress and extend the lifespan of C. elegans. Frontiers in Physiology. 29 May 2019. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2019.00641.
- J.H. Koh, L. Wang, C. Beaudoin-Chabot, Guillaume Thibault. Lipid bilayer stress-activated IRE-1 modulates autophagy during endoplasmic reticulum stress. Journal of Cell Science, 2018 Oct 17. doi: 10.1242/jcs.217992.
- P.J. Shyu, A.F.X. Wong, K. Crasta, Guillaume Thibault. Dropping in on lipid droplets: insights into cellular stress and cancer. Bioscience Reports, 2018 Sep 19. doi: 10.1042/BSR20180764.
- N. Ho, C. Xu, Guillaume Thibault. From the unfolded protein response to metabolic diseases – lipids under the spotlight. Journal of Cell Science, 2018 Feb 8. doi: 10.1242/jcs.199307.
- H. Wu, B.S.H. Ng, Guillaume Thibault. Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress Response in Yeast and Humans. Bioscience Reports. 34(4): art:e00118. doi: 10.1042/BSR20140058.