DESCRIPTION OF LAB RESEARCH WORK
In our lab we study basic splicing mechanisms in human cells, mostly focusing on the recognition of 5' splice sites by U1 small nuclear RNA. We are also investigating the regulation of alternative splicing in human myeloid cells, including culture monocytes and macrophages, and in connection with their immune function and disregulation in myelodysplastic disorders and leukemias.
- Lorenzini PA, Chew RSE, Tan CW, Yong JY, Zhang F, Zheng J, Roca X. (accepted, 2019) PRPF40B regulates hundreds of alternative splicing targets and represses a hypoxia expression signature. RNA.
- Tan J, Yang L, Ong AAL, Shi J, Zhong Z, Lye ML, Liu S, Lisowiec-Wachnicka J, Kierzek R, Roca X, Chen G. (2019) A disease-causing intronic point mutation C19G alters tau exon 10 splicing via RNA secondary structure rearrangement. Biochemistry 58, 1565-1578.
- Liu H, Lorenzini PA, Zhang F, Xu SH, Wong MSM, Zheng J, Roca X. (2018) Global analysis of alternative splicing upon human monocyte-to-macrophage differentiation and polarization reveals MBNL1 as major regulator. Nucleic Acids Research 46, 6069-6086.
- Liu J, Bhadra M, Sinnakannu JR, Yue WL, Tan CW, Rigo F, Ong ST, Roca X. (2017) Overcoming imatinib resistance conferred by the BIM deletion polymorphism in chronic myeloid leukemia with splice-switching antisense oligonucleotides. Oncotarget 8, 77567-77585.
- Ly PT, Tang SJ, and Roca X. (2017) Alternative polyadenylation expands the mRNA isoform repertoire of human CD46. Gene 625, 21-30.
- Tanimoto A, Takeuchi S, Arai S, Fukuda K, Yamada T, Roca X, Ong ST, Yano S. (2017) Histone deacetylase 3 inhibition overcomes BIM deletion polymorphism-mediated osimertinib-resistance in EGFR-mutant lung cancer. Clinical Cancer Research 23, 3139-3149.
- Tang SJ, Luo S, Ho JXJ, Ly PT, Goh E, and Roca X. (2016) Characterization of the regulation of CD46 alternative splicing. The Journal of Biological Chemistry, 291, 14311-14323.
- Tan J, Ho JXJ, Zhong Z, Luo S, Chen G, Roca X. (2016) Noncanonical registers and base pairs in human 5' splice site selection. Nucleic Acids Research 44, 3908-3921.
- Juan WC, Roca X^, Ong ST^. (2014) Identification of cis-acting elements and splicing factors involved in the regulation of BIM pre-mRNA splicing. PLoS ONE 9: e95210. ^: co-corresponding authors.
- Roca X, Eperon IC, and Krainer AR. (2013) Pick one, but be quick: 5' splice sites and the problems of too many choices. Genes & Development 27: 129-144.