DESCRIPTION OF LAB RESEARCH WORK
The laboratory focuses on the complex myeloid cell family with particular emphasis on dendritic cells (DC) and macrophages. To untangle the role of DC and macrophage cell populations we have constructed a series of novel transgenic mouse strains that can be used to ablate specifically subsets of DC and macrophages in vivo, to define their developmental origin or to regulate cytokine/growth factor gene expression with doxycycline inducible repression. By exploiting these unique transgenic mouse strains, we are particular interested to elucidate the functional roles of distinct subsets of macrophages and DCs in mediating protective immunity in different infection models, such as influenza and malaria, and in inflammatory conditions, such as gut inflammation and obesity. Furthermore, we also study the ontogeny, phenotype and functional contributions of different myeloid cell subpopulations in a preclinical tumor animal model as well as in adipose tissue during obesity development.
- Role of diverse communities of intratumoral myeloid cells in intestinal cancer
- Does microbiota drive the turnover of tissue-resident innate immune cells?
- Dynamics, diversity and function of macrophages in adipose tissue
- Immuno-metabolic crosstalk mediated by the mitochondrial translocator protein in obesity
- Development of immune-modulatory RNAs to regulate RIG-I mediated antiviral immune response for therapy and vaccination
- Lai SM, Sheng J, Gupta P, Renia L, Duan K, Zolezzi F, Karjalainen K, Newell EW and Ruedl C (2018)
- Organ-specific fate, recruitment and refilling dynamics of tissue-resident macrophages during blood-stage malaria. Cell Reports 25: 2935-3230 DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.celrep.2018.11.059
- Ng SL, Teo YJ, Setiagani YA, Karjalainen K and Ruedl C (2018) Type 1 conventional CD103+ dendritic cells control effector CD8+ T cell migration, survival and memory responses during influenza infection. Front Immunol. 9:3043. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2018.03043.
- Soncin I, Sheng J, Chen Q, Shihui Foo S, Duan K, Lum J, Zolezzi F, Karjalainen K and Ruedl C. (2018) The tumour microenvironment creates a niche for the self-renewal of tumour-promoting resident macrophages in colon adenoma. Nature Communications 9 (582): 1-13, DOI: 10.1038/s41467-018-02834-8
- Sheng J, Chen Q, Soncin I, Ng SL, Karjalainen K and Ruedl C (2017) Discrete subset of monocyte-derived cells among typical conventional type 2 dendritic cells can efficiently cross present. Cell Reports 21: 1203-1214
- Muzaki ARM, Soncin I, Setiagani YA, Sheng J, Tetlak P, Karjalainen K and Ruedl C (2017) Long-lived innate IL-17 producing gamma/delta T cells modulate anti-microbial epithelial host defence in the colon. J Immunology 199 (10): 3691-3699.
- Gupta P, Lai SM, Sheng J, Tetlak P, Claser C, Renia L, Karjalainen K and Christiane Ruedl C (2016) Tissue-resident CD169+ macrophages as a front line of host defense in Plasmodium infection. Cell reports 16 (6): 1749-1761
- Muzaki ARM, Tetlak P, Sheng J, Loh SC, Setiagani YA, Poidinger M, Zolezzi F, Karjalainen K and Ruedl C (2016) Intestinal CD103+CD11b- dendritic cells restrain colitis via IFN-γ-induced anti-inflammatory response in epithelial cells. Mucosal Immunology 9 (2): 336-351
- Sheng J, Ruedl C and Karjalainen K (2015) Most Tissue-Resident Macrophages Except Microglia Are Derived from Fetal Hematopoietic Stem Cells. Immunity 43 (2): 382-93
- Becher B, Schlitzer A, Chen J, Mair F, Sumatoh HR, Teng KW, Low D, Ruedl C, Riccardi-Castagnoli P, Poidinger M, Greter M, Ginhoux F, Newell EW. (2014) High-dimensional analysis of the murine myeloid cell system. Nat. Immunol. 15 (12): 1181-9
- Purnama C, Ng SL, Tetlak P, Setiagani YA, Kandasamy M, Baalasubramanian S, Karjalainen K and Ruedl C. (2014) Transient ablation of alveolar macrophages leads to massive pathology of influenza infection without affecting cellular adaptive immunity Eur J Immunol 44 (7): 2003-12