DESCRIPTION OF RESEARCH WORK
TARGETING METASTASIS: Metastasis accounts for more than 90% of cancer mortality. We aim to decipher the mechanisms that coordinate metabolic changes with EMT. Deliberate disruption of these mechanisms is expected to yield important clinical information regarding etiology, prognosis, and response to therapy.
METABOLIC DISORDERS: Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) is a major cause of chronic liver disease. We pursue preclinical studies on the immunopathogenesis of NASH which will provide the basis for reverse translation research for developing means of diagnosis, treatment and clinical management of NASH.
WOUND HEALING: Poor healing wounds represent a silent epidemic that affects a large fraction of the world population. A cardinal feature of poor healing wounds is a persistent inflammatory response at the wound site. We investigate the role of immune-associated reactive oxygen species on wound healing.
- Role of ANGPTL4 in regulating cellular bioenergetics and drug resistance during EMT in cancer cells.
- Targeting Brain Tumors: Improving Lives through Precision Medicine
- Bedside to bench and back again: evaluating Neisseria spp. as novel respiratory pathobionts using systems biology
- Liu, C., Lim, S.T., Song, W., Teo, M.H.Y., Tan, M.S.Y., Kulkarni, M.D., Qiu, B., Li, A., Lal, S., dos Remedios, C.G., Tan, N.S., Wahli, W., Ferenczi, M.A., Hong, W. and Wang, X.M. (2019) Collaborative regulation of LRG1 by TGFβ1 and PPARβ/δ modulates chronic pressure-overload-induced cardiac fibrosis. Circ. Heart Fail. (in press)
- Chen, J.P., Zhuan, Y., Sng, M.K., Tan, N.S. and Wahli, W. (2019). The potential of the FSP1cre-Pparb/d−/− mouse model for studying juvenile NAFLD. Intl. J. Mol. Sci. 20(20). pii: E5115.
- Cheng, H.S., Tan, W.R., Low, Z.S., Marvalim, C., Lee, J.Y.H. and Tan, N.S. (2019). Exploration and development of PPAR modulators in health and disease: An update of clinical evidence. Intl. J. Mol. Sci. 20(20). pii: E5055
- Yang, H., Cheam, N.M.J., Lee, M.K.H., Kwan, S.S., Tan, N.S. and Tay, C.Y. (2019). Materials Stiffness-Dependent Activation of Hypoxia Inducible Factor-1 for Mesenchymal Stem Cells Secretome-Based Therapeutic Angiogenesis. Adv. Healthcare Mater. 8(20): e1900929.
- Tan, M.S.Y., Sandanaraj, E., Chong, Y.K., Lim, S.W., Koh, L.W.H., Ng, W.H., Tan, N.S., Tan, P., Ang, B.T. and Tang, C. (2019). A STAT3 based gene signature stratifies glioma patients for targeted therapy. Nat. Comm 10(1):3601.
- Pal, M., Chen, H., Lee, B.H., Lee, J.Y.H., Yip, Y.S., Tan, N.S. and Tan, L.P. (2019). Epithelial-mesenchymal transition of cancer cells using bioengineered hybrid scaffold composed of hydrogel/3D fibrous framework. Sci Rep. 9(1):8997
- Li, L., Foo, B., Kwok, K.W., Sakamoto, N., Mukae, H., Izumikawa, H., Mandard, S., Quenot, J-P., Lagrost, L., Teh, W.K., Kohli, G.S., Zhu, P.C., Choi, H., Buist, M., Seet, J.E., Yang, L., He, F., Chow, V. and Tan, N.S. (2019) Antibody treatment against angiopoietin-like 4 reduces pulmonary edema and injury in secondary pneumococcal pneumonia. mBio 10:e02469-18.
- Chen, H., Lui, Y.S., Tan, Z.W., Lee, J.Y.H., Tan, N.S. and Tan, L.P. (2019). Migration and Phenotype Control of Human Dermal Fibroblasts by Electrospun Fibrous Substrates. Adv HealthCare Mater. e1801378. doi: 10.1002/adhm.201801378
- Liao, Z., Chua, D. and Tan, N.S. (2019) Reactive oxygen species: a volatile driver of field cancerization and metastasis. Mol. Cancer 18(1):65. doi: 10.1186/s12943-019-0961-y
- Cheng, H.S., Lee, J.X.T., Wahli, W. and Tan, N.S. (2019) Exploiting vulnerabilities of cancer by targeting nuclear receptors of stromal cells in tumor microenvironment. Mol. Cancer 18(1):51. doi: 10.1186/s12943-019-0971-9.