This course provides an overall perspective of the important materials properties, namely, mechanical, optical, magnetic and electrical properties. The concept of each of these properties and the characterization method will be introduced.
The aim of this course is to introduce central concepts in the properties of materials that will underpin the program. This will form a solid platform for engineers to launch into higher level courses that utilize material properties in designing structures, devices and systems.
This course is part of:
- FlexiMasters in Materials Characterization
Date(s): 09 Jan 2023 to 14 Apr 2023
Registration is closed.
At the end of the course, learners are able to:
1. Choose standard experiments to measure specific properties.
2. Recommend materials for specific applications.3. Explain the reasons for a material to exhibit certain properties and suggest methodology to improve them.
This course will cover mechanical, thermal, optical, magnetic and electric properties. The following topics will be studied.
1. Elastic, hardness, fracture, fatigue of materials.
2. Understand light interaction with solids and its effects on refraction, reflection, absorption, transmission and others.
3. Understand different sources of magnetic moments. Understand the nature and sources of different magnetic phenomena.
4. Understand the electron band structure for solid materials, charge storing capacity, ferroelectricity and piezoelectricity
This course is conducted in asynchronous e-learning.
Suitable for professionals working in engineering, Quality Control, Failure Analysis, Manufacturing and R&D.
Standard Course Fee: S$2,527.34
|Course fee payable after SSG funding, if eligible under various schemes|
|Cat-A SSG Funded Courses||S$758.20|
|Enhanced Training Support for SMEs (ETSS)||S$285.80|
|Mid-Career Enhanced Subsidy (MCES)||S$285.80|
- All fees stated are inclusive of 7% GST.
- SkillsFuture Credit can be used to offset course fees payable. Click here for more information.
- NTU/NIE alumni may utilise their $1,600 Alumni Course Credits. Click here for more information.
|COURSE TITLE||ACADEMIC UNIT|
|CET849 History of Materials||1|
|CET777 Thermal Analysis||1|
|CET778 Surface Analysis||1|
|CET850 Chemical Analysis of Materials 1||1|
|CET851 Chemical Analysis of Materials 2||1|
|CET853 Advanced Methods in Polymer Molecular Characterization in Solution||1|
|CET854 Advanced Methods in Polymer Characterization in the Melt and Solid States||1|
|CET855 The Characterization Challenge of Polymers with Environmental Impact||1|
|CET856 Principles and Applications of Solid-State NMR||3|
|CET785 Fundamentals of Electron Microscopy||2|
|CET786 Advanced Characterization using TEM Techniques||2|
|CET772 Principles and Adaptation||2|
|CET773 Variation and Nonstoichiometry||2|
Listed courses are:
- Credit-bearing and stackable to Graduate Certificate in Materials Characterization (total 9AUs) and FlexiMasters in Materials Characterization (total 15AUs).
- SSG funded and SkillsFuture Credit approved.