The course presents a balanced treatment of descriptive inorganic chemistry that underpins the design and deployment of technological materials. The goal is to be comprehensive, while remaining understandable to students from diverse scientific and engineering backgrounds. This course begins by revising the construction of atoms and their properties, followed by a systematic analysis of reactivity, stability and properties. These concepts are illustrated with reference to important classes of industrial materials.
This course is part of:
- Graduate Certificate in Materials Science and Engineering
- FlexiMasters in Materials Science and Engineering
At the end of the course, learners are able to:
1. Compare and correlate electromagnetic emissions with atomic structure.
2. Explain how polarization, electron affinity and valency determine the relative contribution to bonding characteristics.
3. Describe the characteristics and reactivity of common non-metals and metals.4. List and analyse non-metal and metal technologies in engineering industry such as thermoelectric, superhard and chalcogenide materials.
1. Fundamental Properties and Principles
2. Non-Metallic Materials
3. Metallic Materials
Suitable for professionals working in Engineering, Quality Control, Failure Analysis, Manufacturing and R&D.
Standard Course Fee: S$4,815
|Course fee payable after SSG funding, if eligible under various schemes|
|Cat-A SSG Funded Courses||S$1444.50|
|Enhanced Training Support for SMEs (ETSS)||S$544.50|
|Mid-Career Enhanced Subsidy (MCES)||S$544.50|
- All fees stated are inclusive of 7% GST.
- NTU/NIE alumni may utilise their $1,600 Alumni Course Credits. Click here for more information.
|COURSE TITLE||ACADEMIC UNIT|
|CET774 Organic Structural Materials||1|
|CET775 Organic Electronic Materials||1|
|CET776 Organic Optical Materials||1|
|CET779 Tissue – Material Interactions||1|
|CET780 Materials in Medicine||1|
|CET781 Tissue Engineering & Drug Delivery||1|
|CET782 Processes for Particulate Materials and Bulk Materials||1|
|CET783 Vacuum Processes||1|
|CET784 Solution Processes||1|
|CET848 Processing of Organic Materials||3|
Listed courses are:
- Credit-bearing and stackable to Graduate Certificate in Materials Science and Engineering (total 9AUs) and FlexiMasters in Materials Science and Engineering (total 15AUs).
- SSG funded and SkillsFuture Credit approved.