- Your personal data privacy is important to us and we are committed to safeguarding your personal data that we may possess. Please read this privacy statement carefully as it contains important information about how we will/may collect, use, disclose
and process personal data that you provide or that we possess about you. In this document, the term “personal data” means data, whether true or not, about you where you can be identified either (a) from that data;
or (b) from that data and other information to which we have or are likely to have access.
- In this Personal Data Privacy Statement and Consent document, the words “we”, “our”, “us” and “NTU” refer to Nanyang Technological University and its successors and assigns.
- In this document, “Relationship” means your long term or life-time relationship with NTU in your capacity as a participant / student of any course(s), programme(s) and/or training(s) (“Course”) and even after
completion of the Course. If the context otherwise requires or permits, references to the masculine gender shall include the feminine gender.
- Your Relationship with us is intended to be a holistic journey for you and is not limited to merely dealing with your training, academic or certification needs but it also includes, if applicable, dealing with employment assistance and/or facilitation
services for the purpose of enhancing your employability and increasing your job prospect.
- To process, administer and/or manage your Relationship with us, we will necessarily need to collect, use, disclose and/or process your personal data. Such personal data includes information about you set out in your application forms, survey and documents
and any other personal information provided by you or possessed by us. Some examples are your name, identification number, academic status and results, programme, personal contact details, citizenship, employment information, photograph etc.
- Your failure to supply certain personal data to us (or if we are not permitted by you to process your personal data), may/would result in us being unable to process, administer and/or manage your Relationship with us. Depending on the extent by which
you do not permit us to process your personal data or the extent of personal data which you do not provide to us, it may mean that we will not be able to enrol you in the Course or administer your Relationship with us.
- We will/may collect, use, disclose and/or process your personal data for one or more of the following purposes:
(a) contacting you or communicating with you via the modes indicated below for the purposes of administering and/or managing your Relationship with us using contact details that we have or any new or amended contact details that may have been provided to us from time to time:
(1) via any mode of communication such as phone or voice call, text message and/or fax message, e-mail and/or postal mail, video/teleconferencing application or platform and any other means1, (collectively referred to hereinafter as “Communicating”) for the following purposes:
(i) Communicating information to you related to updates or change of dates or venues, notification of any updates or changes in any courses you are undertaking;
(ii) sending you course, study, assignment, materials and/or any NTU publications; and
(iii) if applicable, Communicating information and/or materials about products / services that NTU, its service providers and/or third parties may be offering (including, without limitation, to any activities, events, trainings, seminars, job offers and/or job details), and which NTU believes may be of interest or benefit to you.
(iv) Communicating with you for administrative matters.
1You acknowledge and agree that such communication by us could be by way of the mailing of correspondence, documents or notices to you, which could involve disclosure of certain personal data about you to bring about delivery of the same as well as on the external cover of envelopes/mail packages.
(b) considering and/or processing your application including carrying out due diligence or other screening activities (including security and background checks) in accordance with legal or regulatory obligations or our risk management procedures that may be required by law or that may have been put in place by us;
(c) facilitating, processing, dealing with, administering, managing and/or maintaining your Relationship with us, including but not limited to matters in connection with:
(1) enrolment, academic or certification progression, completion and/or your candidacy for your Course and certification including dealing with and/or recording your academic studies, achievements or progress, dealing with and/or determining your examination or achievements or results and candidacy;
(2) fees and charges;
(3) your application(s) for funding, awards, scholarships and/or grants (“Funding”) (whether or not it is provided by any third party or NTU), and if successful, administering and/or the Funding (NOTE: This may include disclosure of personal data to donors, grantors, external evaluators and/or external organisations for purposes of periodic reports for qualification for or continuation of funding);
(4) assessing and determining your suitability for Funding, programmes or courses run by other organisations (whether in or outside Singapore) in collaboration with NTU and/or if applicable, any prospective jobs / employment opportunities and referral of such jobs or opportunities to you;
(5) managing your application for and/or involvement in any events, trainings, seminars and/or your interest or participation in any events, trainings, seminars, work opportunities and/or other opportunities organised by NTU or its service provider(s) that are made available to you, which may include enrolling you in such events, trainings and/or seminars;
(6) materials and publicity developed by NTU (if any) which feature you as participant of the Course or your experiences at NTU activities or events, or your abilities and achievements; and(d) supporting, dealing with and/or administering your education, employment assistance or facilitation (if applicable) and safety requirements such as but not limited to support services, counselling, careers advice, careers services and referrals to prospective employers and/or recruitment agencies;
(7) maintaining contact with you even after completion of the Course.
(e) carrying out your instructions or responding to any enquiry given by (or purported to be given by) you or on your behalf;
(f) arranging, applying, administering and executing the monitoring and invigilation of examinations, tests, or other graded assessments (whether attempted by you in person or remotely) including via the use of applications / equipment / other tools, and retaining, reviewing or handling any resulting records for the purposes of executing or administering our roles as educator, assessor and / or invigilator, and videography or photography (for examinations, assessments, quizzes, lessons, tutorials and seminars be it remote or physical) (NOTE: the use of such applications / equipment / other tools may involve and require the collection, use or disclosure of personal data in accordance with further notifications issued by us from time to time, including but not limited to photography and/or videography carried out during such activities, in which event you will be required to responsibly manage collection of such personal data by following instructions given in respect of such notifications);
(g) to prevent or investigate any fraud, unlawful activity or omission or misconduct, whether relating to your Relationship or any other matter arising from your Relationship with us, and whether or not there is any suspicion of the aforementioned (NOTE: This includes use of surveillance of public or secure areas, the use of electronic access and video systems to maintain campus security of persons or property, the application of control access, and the use of all records generated from the same to investigate suspicious or inappropriate activities);
(h) dealing with and/or investigating complaints and discipline related matters;
(i) complying with or as required by any applicable law, governmental or regulatory requirements of any relevant jurisdiction, including meeting the requirements to make disclosure under the requirements of any law binding on us and for the purposes of any guidelines issued by regulatory or other authorities, whether in Singapore or elsewhere, with which we are expected to comply;
(j) complying with or as required by any request or direction of any governmental authority (whether Singapore or non-Singapore); or responding to requests for personal data or information from hospitals, embassies, public agencies, ministries, statutory boards or other similar authorities (whether Singapore or non-Singapore) (including but not limited to the Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Education, Immigration and Checkpoints Authority, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Home Affairs, Ministry of Manpower, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Social & Family Development and Central Provident Fund Board);
(k) performing internal administrative, operational and technology tasks to facilitate, administer or manage your Relationship with us;
(l) producing statistics and research for internal and/or statutory reporting and/or record-keeping requirements and performing university policy/process reviews; and
(m) conducting research, analysis and development activities (including but not limited to data analytics, surveys and/or profiling) to improve our services and facilities in order to enhance your Relationship with us or for your benefit, or to improve any of the Course or for operational strategy and policy planning purposes.
(n) conducting employment-related surveys (if applicable) to provide employment information to governmental institutions with oversight on placement outcomes and employment status (if applicable), including but not limited to SkillsFuture Singapore and Ministry of Education.
(collectively referred to as the “Purposes”).
You hereby acknowledge, agree and consent (except where separate and further consent may be required) that we may/are permitted to collect, use or process your personal data and to disclose your personal data to third parties (whether located within or outside Singapore), in each respect, for one or more of the above Purposes and for the third parties to subsequently collect, use, disclose and/or process your personal data for one or more of the above Purposes. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing or of paragraph 7, such third parties include:
(a) organisations with which or whom we are collaborating and/or partnering for one or more of the Purposes;
(b) individuals, organisations and/or any government authority who have provided you with Funding and who request for information relating to your progress and results in NTU;
(c) prospective employers and recruitment agencies for the fulfilment of any of the above Purposes, particularly assisting you to enhance your employability and/or secure employment (if applicable);
(d) any of our agents, contractors or third-party service providers who process your personal data on our behalf including but not limited to those which provide trainings, services of enhancing your employability and increasing your job, prospects (if applicable), administrative or other such as mailing houses, telecommunication companies, manufacturers/suppliers/printers of university publications, information technology companies; and
(e) government authorities, public agencies, ministries, statutory boards or other similar authorities (whether Singapore or non-Singapore) including their appointed agents, contractors or third party service providers for the fulfilment of any of the above Purposes.
Without prejudice to the generality of any of the aforesaid, do note that photography and/or videography could be carried out during such activities and except where separate and further consent may be required, your image may be captured for the Purposes where recording your participation in such activities is relevant for publication in materials such as newsletters or other publications, yearbooks or any other materials/books recording your participation in such activities.
You have the right to withdraw your consent given hereunder, whether in part or as a whole. However, your withdrawal of consent could result in certain legal consequences arising from such withdrawal, such as preventing NTU from providing to you the services affected by your withdrawal of consent. In this regard, depending on the extent of your withdrawal of consent for us to process your personal data, it may mean that we will not be able to continue with your existing Relationship with us. Should you wish to withdraw your consent in part or whole, please submit your request using the eForm at this link: https://www.ntu.edu.sg/footer/ntu-privacy-statement/purposes-for-the-collection-use-disclosure-of-personal-data/request-for-access-correction-and-or-withdrawal-of-personal-data and provide details of your withdrawal.
For the avoidance of doubt, in the event that Singapore personal data protection law permits an organisation such as NTU to collect, use or disclose your personal data without your consent, such permission granted by the law shall continue to apply.
If you have any questions relating to our collection, use and disclosure of your personal data or the matters set out in this document, you may contact PaCE@NTU at [email protected].