Do you want to communicate with over one billion people in China, Taiwan, Singapore and many other places around the world? Do you ever wonder what could be the logic behind the creation of Chinese ideographs? Do you like Chinese food? Wouldn’t it be nice if you could order Chinese food in the food court or directly from the menu in a Chinese restaurant?
People say there are many good reasons why you should learn Chinese. If any of these appeal to you, then you should be learning Chinese!
Chinese is fun and easy to get started
- Chinese has little inflections or declensions
- Each Chinese character is pronounced as a single syllable
- With a small number of Chinese characters you can quickly build up many phrases and expressions
Find out more about Chinese history and culture
- Explore one of the most ancient civilizations in the world
- Learn to see the world from a different perspective through the Chinese language
Challenge your brainpower
- Chinese is a tonal language. Much like music, Chinese language requires speakers to engage both sides of their brains.
- Unlike alphabetic writing systems, Chinese characters represent meanings rather than sounds. Learning this new writing system would offer learners a different way of thinking and looking at the world. It may even make you smarter!
Business and future career
- Chinese is fast becoming one of the most useful languages of business
- China will play a major role in world affairs in the future
- Knowledge of Chinese will give you an advantage in many fields, including commerce, tourism, education, technology, etc.
Welcome to the Chinese course! You are going to learn Chinese by using the language not only in the classroom, but also acquiring Chinese by using it on campus, in markets, restaurants and bazaars!
For more information, please contact Chinese language coordinator at Chinese2@ntu.edu.sg