NTU offers enriching student mobility programmes with more than 100 leading companies and 150 partner universities in more than 30 countries through its Global Education and Mobility (GEM) initiatives such as GEM Explorer and GEM Discoverer.
Do look out for communique sent by OGEM office for application details.
1. Ensure that you meet your graduation requirements with your exchange. Students who are transferring credits from another university must comply with the following requirements for graduation:
- Curriculum requirements for your degree programme
- Minimum candidature period
- Minimum AU of graded courses
- Credits that are transferred to NTU are NOT counted towards the minimum AU of graded courses
- The total AU from graded courses that a student has earned to-date is shown in his degree audit
- Minimum years of study spent at NTU
- Minimum CGPA for graduation
For more details, please click here.
2. Most courses in SCBE are offered in one semester only. Students need to plan carefully to ensure that they would be able to complete their remaining courses after the exchange programme, so that it is within their degree candidature in NTU.
3. Student planning should also factor in the pre-requisites of the SCBE courses, and the semester in which these courses are offered. This is to prevent timetable clashes and the progress of their study for course in the senior year, which require these pre-requisites.
Course Planning and Matching
1. Do your research and choose overseas universities offering up to 15 - 20 courses that:
- are available to you for the exchange semester you intend
- match those in your School at NTU for credit transfer*
2. Make use of ‘Coursefinder’ on Studentlink. It provides a list of approved courses taken by your seniors for their exchange. It does not provide the exact list of courses that they eventually take during their exchange.
3. If you plan to go to an overseas school which your seniors have never visited, you will need to find out what is offered/available at the school (from their website), and the suitable courses that can be matched to your NTU course.
4. Course Matching is done by comparing the content and total contact hours of the overseas course and the corresponding NTU course. The courses match when they are deemed comparable in these 2 areas. CBE and BIE syllabus can be found on the school’s website.
5. SCBE exchange coordinators are Asst Prof Song Juha for BIE programme and Assoc Prof Lee Jong-Min for CBE programme. You may approach them for advice on
- Course matching (pls have on hand details such as course content, duration, and contact hours)
- Suitable exchange universities, based on past student’s experience
6. Exchange coordinators cannot provide advice on
- Application procedure
- Exchange universities never visited by SCBE students
- Financial aid
- Post-application matters
Visit OGEM website for details or contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.
Students are not allowed to clear these courses on overseas exchange:
- BG0491/CH0491/EG0001 – Engineers and Society
- HW0188 – Effective Communication
- HW0288 – Engineering Communication
- BG4801 – Final Year Project
- CH4801 – Final Year Design Project
- CH4702/CH4703 – Independent Research Project
applicable from AY2020 onwards
1. Cap on the number of AUs that can be transferred back to NTU:
- GEM Explorer – 24 AUs
- SUSEP – 24 AUs
- GEM Discover – 8 AUs
2. All categories of courses (e.g. Core, MPE, GER-UE etc) can be read and have credit transferred, as long as the course match was approved.
3. You can transfer credit for one overseas course to ONLY 1 NTU course. Note: It is possible to match 1 overseas course to many NTU courses, but ultimately you can transfer credit to ONLY ONE NTU course.
4. In some cases, you may need to take 2 or more overseas courses, to transfer credit to 1 NTU course.
You may write to SCBE Acad (Undergraduate) office (email@example.com) if you need clarifications on credit transfer matters.