DESCRIPTION OF LAB RESEARCH WORK
The hippocampus is well known for its functions in memory formation and mood regulation. We study how neuronal circuits in the hippocampus mediate these functions with focuses on two distinct phenomena in the adult hippocampus: place cell activity and neurogenesis. For this purpose, we take an interdisciplinary approach combining virus-mediated genetic manipulation, optogenetics and optical and electrophysiological recording techniques in behaving rodents.
Phone: (65) 6908 2244
|Chang Ching Ching
|Chong Hai Tarng
|Aye Theint Theint
|Charmay Koh Pearl Lin
- Defining the brain circuitry defects that cause dementia
- Development of optoelectrical bimodal monitoring technique for neuronal activity in live brain: an application to the investigation of neural circuit functions (Collaboration with Prof Wei Lei at EEE)
- Long-Term In Vivo Imaging Of Adult Neurogenesis Induced ByBehaviourally-Driven Neuronal Activity: An Effect Of Aging (Collaboration with Prof Hiroshi Makino at LKC Medicine)
- Molecular mechanisms for enrichment-induced survival of new neurons in the adult hippocampus
- Neuronal and glial mechanisms of spatial representation in the hippocampus
- Aasebø, I.E.J., Kasture, A.S., Passeggeri, M. and Tashiro A. (2018) A behavioral task with more opportunities for memory acquisition promotes the survival of new neurons in the adult dentate gyrus. Scientific reports. 8: 7369.
- Åmellem I., Suresh S., Chang C.C., Tok SS and Tashiro A. (2017) A critical period for antidepressant-induced acceleration of neuronal maturation in adult dentate gyrus. Translational Psychiatry 7: e1235.
- Cobar LF, Yuan L, Tashiro A. (2017) Place cells and long-term potentiation in the hippocampus. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 138:206-214.
- Kitanishi T, Ujita S, Fallahnezhad M, Kitanishi N, Ikegaya Y, Tashiro A. (2015) Novelty-Induced Phase-Locked Firing to Slow Gamma Oscillations in the Hippocampus: Requirement of Synaptic Plasticity. Neuron 86:1265-76.
- Verma P, Augustine GJ, Ammar MR, Tashiro A, Cohen SM. (2015) A neuroprotective role for microRNA miR-1000 mediated by limiting glutamate excitotoxicity. Nat Neurosci. 18: 379-85.
- Aasebø I.E., Blankvoort S., Tashiro A. (2011). Critical maturational period of new neurons in adult dentate gyrus for their involvement in memory formation. Eur J Neurosci., 33:1094-100.
- Treves A., Tashiro A., Witter M.P., and Moser E.I. (2008). What is the mammalian dentate gyrus good for?, Neuroscience, 154, 1155-1172.
- Tashiro A., Makino H., Gage F.H. (2007). Experience-specific functional modification of the dentate gyrus through adult neurogenesis: A Critical Period during an Immature Stage. J. Neurosci. 27, 3252-3259.
- Tashiro A., Zhao C., Gage F.H. (2006). Retrovirus-mediated single-cell gene knockout technique in adult newborn neurons in vivo. Nature Protocols. 1, 3049 – 3055.
- Tashiro A., Sandler V.M., Toni N., Zhao C., and Gage F.H. (2006). NMDA-receptor-mediated, cell-specific integration of new neurons in adult dentate gyrus. Nature 442, 929-933.