1. The periods of candidature for higher degree programmes are as follow :
|Programmes||Full-Time ||Part-Time |
|Doctor of Philosophy|
(All PhD except LKCMedicine)
3 years||5 years#|
Doctor of Philosophy|
|3 years||5 years||3 years||5 years#|
|Master Degree by Research||1 year||3 years||1 year||3 years#|
|Master Degree by Coursework*||1-2 years||
1-2 years|| 2-4 years|
For part-time PhD and Master by Research students admitted before Academic Year 2020-2021, the maximum candidature period is 7 years and 4 years respectively.
*The above applies in general. Please refer to the specific Coursework Programme website for information.
2. Students are required to fulfil all programme requirements, including completion of all required courses and submission of Dissertation (Master by Coursework) or Thesis (PhD/Master by Research) in a form acceptable for examination by the maximum candidature period. Students who are unable to do so are required to seek approval for extension of their candidature.
3. Application for extension of candidature should be submitted to the School Chair at least three months before the expiry of the maximum candidature. Students should consult their School on the guidelines and application procedure for extension of candidature.
4. Application for extension of candidature is subject to approval on a case-by-case basis.
5. A student's candidature will automatically expire and lapse once the maximum candidature period for the programme is reached and he/she has not fulfilled the programme requirements for graduation, and his/her name will be removed from the register of students unless an extension of candidature has been formally sought and approved.
6. Students granted approval for extension of candidature shall be liable for tuition fees for the entire term so long as they have not submitted their thesis in a form ready and acceptable for examination.