The plastic gears are continuing to displace metal gears in a widening arena of applications. Their unique characteristics are also being enhanced with new developments, both in materials and processing. This training provides a vision into the fundamentals of plastic gear design and calculation, manufacturing, tolerancing, implementation and the basic skills to examine, and recognize common plastic gears failure modes.
Cetim, the leading French Technical Centre for Mechanical Industry, was established in 1965 to support innovation and competitiveness of engineering companies through its multidisciplinary expertise and unique R&D capabilities.
In Asia Pacific, CETIM-Matcor, a forward-looking company, is specialized in the field of Material & Corrosion Assessment, Failure Analysis & Forensic Investigation and Mechanical Power Transmission.
Jointly with NTU, CETIM-Matcor will conduct advanced engineering courses for engineers who will like to understand and learn in depth knowledge from our experience trainers with vast industrial and field experience. Courses are largely focused on Corrosion Engineering and Failures Analysis in areas such as Pressurized Equipment, Shafts, Gears & Bearings as well as Forensic Engineering Investigation.
Date(s): 08 Nov 2022
Time: 9:00AM to 5:00PM
Venue: Virtual (Online)
Registration Closing Date: 25 Oct 2022
The training provides participants with:
- Understand the whole process of making a gear
- Identify the theoretical and practical elements that are essential for producing quality gears and guarantee their service life Examine the different aspects of gear failures
- Assess and interpret common gear failure modes of plastic gears
• Basic concepts on the geometry of gears to "Teeth in involute"
o Spur and helical gears
o Meshing (contact ratio, interference, sliding)
o Tooth modifications (profile and helix)
o Contact pressure and tooth rupture calculations
• Manufacture of plastic gears
• Principles of tolerancing and control
• Failure modes in plastic gears
o Adhesive or “Normal” Wear
o Plastic Flow
o Thermal Cyclic Fatigue
• Questions / answers
Applicants should possess a Diploma or Degree with Engineering.
Standard Course Fee: S$963.00
|Course fee payable after SSG funding, if eligible under various schemes|
|Cat-A SSG Funded Courses||S$333.00|
|Enhanced Training Support for SMEs (ETSS)||S$153.00|
|Mid-Career Enhanced Subsidy (MCES)||S$153.00|
- All fees stated are inclusive of 7% GST
- NTU/NIE alumni may utilise their $1,600 Alumni Course Credits. Click here for more information.
Mr Robert Shandro
Mr Robert SHANDRO
Principal Consultant with CETIM - MATCOR in the field of mechanical, power transmissions and materials engineering. A Specialist in failure investigation, forensic engineering and condition assessment with more than 30 years of consulting experience in Energy, Aerospace, Transportation, Shipbuilding and Public Works. Involved in close to 2,500 failure analysis and consulting services for litigation.
Member of French delegation for ISO TC60 (Technical Committee), Expert in load capacity calculation of gears, terminologies, notation, strength and quality of materials for gears.
Areas of Expertise
• Failure analysis of a wide range of mechanical equipment/components and structural facilities
• Design, verification and failure analysis on mechanical power transmission components
• Condition and remnant life assessment of mechanical power transmission